Chapter 14

Don't forget to like and leave a comment! I love to hear from you guys!

|| Chapter 14 ||

"So what happened?" Drew asks as I climb into his car ten minutes after getting off the phone with him.

I explain the whole story to him and then add in, "She was crying Drew, like actual sobbing, and I'm supposed to just sit there and watch? I think the fuck not."

"Maybe that's how he's coping? Just trying to forget about it, make someone else do the work, I mean that's what his mother is doing," he shrugs.

"I don't give a damn, he needs to fix this," I grumble, pushing myself further into his passenger seat. "Turn left here."

"Left? But that's not the way to Nathan's house," Drew says in confusion but he still turns left at the red light.

I continue giving him directions until we end up on Pecos Street, which is known for not being one hundred percent safe. Or maybe it's just my entitlement complex coming out. Drew definitely does not look comfortable as he slowly moves down the street. The houses are a lot smaller on this side of town, most of them have been standing there for the last few decades unlike North Drive and Brazos Circle where Drew and I live, respectively. A few people are walking in the streets; kids are running around playing a game of baseball with a plastic bat and a tennis ball at the end of the cul-de-sac.

"Yellow house driveway," I point out and he eases into the driveway, parking behind a silver Toyota CV. "I'll be back in two minutes, clear off the backseat for me, please," I don't wait for his response as I step out of the car and up the creaky porch steps that dip each step I take.

The pale yellow two-story house sticks out in the neighborhood. Some of the paint has chipped off over the years but this house will always be a staple to the Hayes Family. No matter how many times we try to offer our help with renovations, the owners always refuse saying that the house 'looks just right'.

I glance back over at Drew and see him rummaging around, moving things from the backseat into the trunk. The doorbell hasn't worked since I was about six years old when Sebastian thought it would be cool to show how accurate his aim was with a baseball bat, so I just pound my fist on the door for a few seconds. There's shuffling on the other side of the front door before it is pulled open to reveal a smiling face.

"Hey Tessa, to what do I owe the pleasure?" The man asks with a cheeky smile, leaning against his doorframe.

"Hey Johnathan, is Liv home?" I cut straight to the point, not wanting to waste time.

"Yup, she's in her room, you know the way," he gestures to the stairs. I nod my head in thanks as I shuffle through the house, slowly walking passed the wall covered in pictures, most of them aren't even in frames, they're just taped up there. The house has the most homiest feeling to it and all the eccentric colors splashed around each room.

Olivia's mother had decorated the whole interior of this house from the random bamboo elephant pot plant sitting on the kitchen counter to the green couch in the living room with the frayed, pale yellow cushions. Nothing had been touched since she died, in a car accident, when Olivia was six.

I walk up the stairs and stop on the narrow landing where there are three doors. I walk straight to the first one and literally kick the door open with a smile on my face. Olivia is sitting on her bed eating from a tub of ice cream, staring at me like a deer in the headlights. "Oh thank God its just you, I thought it was my dad," she breathes a sigh of relief. "he would kill me if he found me eating his ice cream," she grins while eating another spoonful before putting it on her knight stand. "So Tess, to what do I owe the pleasure," she grins, just like her father and leans on her bed, showing me her pajama shorts, socks and a big black t-shirt that I assume is Sebastian's.