18

The Truth
••• HONEY •••

"Is it true?"

I swallow hard, losing the smile I had on instantly at the sight of Jimin.

"Excuse me?"

"You know what I'm talking about and I'm asking you if it's true!" He asks again. His face completely broken.

He was scared.

Scared that he could be wrong and had hoped...

Scared that he could be right and had been lied to and had a five year old son he didn't know existed.

This was very bad.

"I think we should talk about this late-"

"When? In 5 years time? When my son is graduating from college? When he is getting married?" Jimin seethed in anger.

My eyes began watering just as I saw JP standing in the door way.

"Mummy?" I heard his tiny voice say.

Jimin turned to him, his eyes going large like saucepans before turning soft, his anger lost moments before at the sound of JP voice.

Emily comes behind JP, her face full of worry.

I slipped on a smile, sniffing in my tears.

"Yes baby, what do you need?"

"When can we cut the cake?"

"Oh I'm just putting the finishing touches and I'll be right out with it." I tell him.

"Come on JP you can't ruin the surprise! Let's leave your mum to do it, okay?" Emily helped out.

He shook his head excited bouncing up and down, his chubby cheeks expanding wide in a grin as he scrunched his nose making his eyes disappear into his face. I saw Jimin breathe in again, realising that he was just like him as JP ran out of the kitchen so fast, shouting and jumping loudly with his friends, Emily following close behind him and shutting the door.

"All I'm asking for is 4hrs. It's his birthday. Once all his friends are gone and he is tucked in bed, you can come back here and talk all you want, but please, don't do this now." I begged him.

He breathes out, running his hand through his hair in frustration before turning and leaving staring at the opened door in shame.

Did I regret hurting Jimin that way? Yes.

Would I do it again?

I definitely would.

"Are you okay?" Emily asked, leaning against the door frame.

"I'm fine. Lets go!" I shout out bring up the cake JP wanted of his favourite cartoon.

I would pretend everything was fine for 4 hours and face the consequences after.

•••

I placed the last of the plastic plates in the bin bag, bringing it to the door to throw out the trash later, as Emily and Jackson came down the stairs.

"Okay I've cleaned upstairs..." Emily says as Jackson grabs her coat to help her put it on.

"And I've put JP to bed. He knocked out pretty quickly. Must have been quite a day." He says before grabbing his own coat to put on.

"Thanks guys." I say sighing.

The door bell rang and I jumped as Emily looked at it in worry.