7

A Reluctant meeting
••• HONEY •••

"You behave for hal-meoni and hal-abeoji." I warn JP, unzipping his coat as he excitedly jumps up and down.

We were at my parents house- since everyone who could take care of JP was going to be at the barbecue Jackson and Emily had planned.

I removed his jacket, folding it to place in his overnight bag as my mother approached us from the kitchen in her apron.

JP loved my mother more than I loved my mother, and ran into her- giggling into her arms as she hugged him with her tall frame. .

"How's my favourite grandson."

"Eomma, he's your only grandson..."

"Exactly, that's why I asked you to move closer to me and your father..."

"We like where we live, it's good for my business..."

"Yeah yeah, but when you need a babysitter, that's the only time we become useful." She cuts in, leading JP into the sitting area where my dad was lounging, waiting for a hyper JP to jump on him.

"Eomma...don't start." I warn her as she was about to give her unwanted lecture.

The truth is, my relationship with my mother has always been strained, but it got worse when I told her I was pregnant with JP.

My mother loves him, there's no arguing that, but she's a very traditional minded housewife. She believes in getting married and having children so that your husband can provide while you stay at home and raise your kids.

It's cute.

But shit happens.

I got pregnant very young and came back home to tell them I have no idea who the father is.

Naturally my parents were very disappointed in me. My father got over it, I was a daddy's girl and eventually he couldn't stay mad at me, my mother on the other hand... she still liked to remind me how immature and stupid my choices were- even when my life was going well.

"It's almost JP birthday, you should bring him down here so we can celebrate."

"I've already began planning his birthday, I want his friends to be there and it's far from here..."

"What about his family?"

"Eomma, just come over to our place- I'll book a hotel for you if you want."

"Typical of you. Doing things without thinking of others. If you don't want us around don't force yourself." She says sarcastically.

"Did I say that. I was just suggesting in case you wanted your own space. Why are you putting words in my mouth!"

"Okay, Enough. Stop arguing in front of the kid. We'll come down the day after his birthday...that way it's close and we can spend some time with him." My father injected, picking up JP, and walking towards us with a scowl on his face.

I smiled sadly at my son, fluffing his hair.

"You have fun sweet pea. Mummy will come pick you up tomorrow night, okay?"

"Bye Mummy!" He says waving before running his hands through his hair. I kissed him on the cheek, before kissing my father goodbye too.

"Eomma, I'll talk to you about the birthday plans over the phone, Okay?"

She rolled her eyes and walked away, causing me to shake my head in annoyance.

I wasn't backing down from this one.

I left my parents home, getting into the car, on the way to my own house to get ready for the bbq. Jackson knew how to grill some good food, so my stomach was growling in anticipation.

The drive home was long, but I made it back faster than I usually do, so I stopped passed my office to see if there was any small jobs I could get done.

*phone ding*

Can we talk?

I saw the caller ID and my heart skipped a beat. It was the first time since we broke up that Jimin has texted me and I was lost about what I should do.

I decided to play it safe.

Sure, tell me where we could meet so we can talk about Seokjin-oppa's party.

That should be okay, that way it won't be too awkward if we have a reason to meet and talk. It gives our meeting a purpose.

Sorry, who is this?
My younger brother sent the message from my phone.

I stared at the message for ages, lost for words. He didn't even have my number anymore? He didn't know who I was and he didn't really want to talk to me. He was being forced to.

It's Honey.

I don't know why I expected anything. But still it stung. I felt my eyes water, as I got back to work, and it didn't help I didn't get a reply back for ages, even though it said he read the message.

I completed what I needed to do, and made some final phone calls and was packing to leave when my phone rang.

Jimin?

Why was he calling me?

I stared at it as it rang and was about to let it go to voicemail, but somehow my fingers ended up accepting the call.

"Hello?" I answered slowly.

"Honey?"

"Y-yes?" I stuttered.

"Hey... Uhm... Are you free this coming weekend?" He asked sounding so nervous.

I was too, but I didn't want to embarrass myself and hope for anything, yet my head didn't want to listen.

"Well, it's kind of busy at the office and with all the bookings and stuff... But I could make room for Seokjin-oppa's farewell party."

"Oh, well. I was wondering if we could talk. I mean actually talk and catch up with each other's lives?" He asked.

I wasn't sure this was going to end well. I didn't want to get close Jimin again. It would make everything complicated and it was pointless.

"Jimin, I have client meetings all week, so I won't have time for that." I explained.

"Oh, okay. I'll just drop by your office this coming Friday, then?"

I wasn't sure that was a great idea either. I didn't want to be alone with him. I didn't trust myself to be in a room with Park Jimin and nothing will happen.

"Ehr, how about we meet at the coffee shop downstairs? I'll bring all the ideas that my team had come up with, and then you can decide what to do?" I said.

"Perfect! I'll see you Friday, then." He said, sounding too excited. I think it was excitement. I didn't know how to read him anymore.

"Maybe come around 8am?" I offered.

"Will see you, then."

I hung up the phone, noticing the butterflies in my stomach. I knew this was a bad idea, but I still couldn't help myself.

This was going to come and bite me later.