{ SIXTY-FIVE } | END

CHAPTER 65 | Fault

Some months later

I grabbed the dog food and called for Duke to come and eat. I watched him running down the stairs with his tongue hanging out, and when he saw the food he started jumping around and wiggling his tail happily.

I smiled at him and poured the food on his plate. He immediately started eating. I patted his head and put the food back on its place and went to sit on the couch. Duke was a bit bigger now, and also a little fat. Perhaps we should stop giving him too much food.

Mark and I have been taking real care of him since the time he arrived to this home. Almost every day we took him for a walk around the city or the park. He was a very good boy, he loved both of his owners and we loved him too.

I heard a car stopping outside the house and I knew who that was. I looked at the main door opening and my bear stepped in, his backpack hanging from his shoulder and his keys on his hand. He smiled at me as soon as he saw me.

"Hey babe!" He greeted me with a grin.

"Hey. Welcome back." I told him.

He let his backpack fall to the floor and he put the keys on the table. He looked at Duke who was still eating. "Hey Duke!"

Duke turned his head from his plate to look at him and wiggled his tail, as if saying What's up? then he went back to eating.

Mark went to sit on the couch next to me, sighing in relief.

"Are you tired?" I asked the obvious.

"Yeah. It was a long day at University." He told me.

"But your classes ended early today. It's barely 6 pm." I told him.

He chuckled. "I know. But still long." I felt his warm fingers brushing my cheek. "But the good thing is that I'm with you now."

I turned to smile at him and he pulled me into a kiss, which I gladly returned. Mark is now attending one of the best universities of the city to study art. My big boy is finally going to accomplish his dream of becoming the artist he always dreamt of being.

Mark continued kissing me softly, pulling me into his chest and warming me up with his human heat, that was when something big and fluffy got between the both of us, making us break our kiss. We laughed when we saw Duke sitting on the couch between the both of us.

"What's wrong, Duke? Are you jelly?" I asked him, hugging him.

"He wants some love too, right Duke?" Mark asked, hugging him too. We gave Duke some smooches on his fur until he got uncomfortable and he started shaking his body. We laughed again at his adorable face as he decided to lie on the couch between us, curling himself into a ball.

"Hey, Zack..." Mark called me.

"Yeah?"

"I want to take you somewhere." He told me.

I looked at him curiously. "Really? Where?"

"To some place... I have something important to tell you." He said in a low voice, looking into my eyes.

I became very curious about what he wanted to tell me, and where he wanted to take me. So I stood up from the couch. "Okay. So, lead the way."

He stood up too and smiled at me. He went to grab the house keys and I followed him towards the door.

"Do I need to change into anything formal or something?" I asked him before we left, motioning to my hoodie and vagrant clothes.

"No, you're perfectly fine like that. And it's cold outside." He told me, opening the door. As he did this, Duke woke up and looked at us with perked up ears. "We'll be back in a while, Duke. Take care of the house in the meantime, okay?"