Chapter 26- Some quality bonding

I couldn't sleep.
I laid there in the giant bed in Norths ward. My eyes glued to the ceiling. How could I ever move on? Papa was dead. He may not have been my biological father but he was my Papa. The one I cried with for so many things.

Mama's funeral was dark and gloomy. Rain poured down my face hiding my tears. Everyone had already left. Papa knelt down and moved a piece of my hair.
"Hey, mama would never want you to be sad.. let's go get mama's favorite food- can you tell me what it is?" He asked smiling. My little self gleamed at papa as I nodded and hugged him tightly
"Dumplings!"
"That's right! Let's go buy tons of them!!"
.
.

"Papa I'm scared!" I cried out as my knees buckled
"I know baby! Just keep looking at me!" I had somehow climbed up a tree and couldn't get down. There papa stood trying to figure out how to catch me.
"You trust me right?!" He yelled up at me. In a sobbing motion I nodded. He smiled softly and opened his arms
"Jump!" I did as told and was met with warmth. He caught me and held onto me so tightly
"Got ya!"

I found myself walking down dark halls. Everyone was either in the toy shop or in other parts of the ward but the lights where dimly lit. I walked past the library and saw the door unlocked. I walked in and saw Inferno on the balcony. I walked up next to him.

"Can't sleep?" He asked his eyes never leaving the moon. I nodded as I looked down at the snow. I didn't want to look at the moon right now.

"How did you cope with losing your father..?" I asked. I didn't realize how weak my voice got- probably from all the crying. Infernos eyes saddened as he lowered his gaze.
"You never really cope with it- his death haunts me every night. The screams of my people, it's all a burden to bare" He spoke softly.
"My mothers back home setting up a rebellion, trying to get people to fight the shadows but everyone's given up hope. Imagining what their like now, since bunnies ward is a reck is kinda scary"

"Wait I thought bunny only effected the children?" I asked. He shook his head
"When a spirit has gained enough power like the guardians do, they become a basic need of our general magic in this universe" He explained. I nodded understanding.

"So basically, everyone's suffering?" I asked looking at him. He gave me a smile and nodded.
"Yep!- so I heard your mother is deceased- so where will you go...?" He asked. I paused. Where would I go... would I stay with North till I'm old and brittle or would I go live with  Ami or Mary.

"I'm not really sure... I'll make it up as I go" I said leaning on the railing. Inferno chuckled
"Your starting to sound like Jack"
"Huh- am I? Guess he taught me the wonderful tactic of 'fuck this, do this now worry about it later' " I said jokingly. Inferno chuckled and shook his head,
"I have no idea why you hang out with him so much" He spoke as he watched me.
"I couldn't tell you the reason myself.. but I know he's a good person. And I'm drawn to good people" I said looking at the night sky.

"Are you drawn to me...?" Infernos question caught me off guard.
"Pardon..?"
"Y/N, you said you're drawn to good people. Am I a good person- am I good person for wanting revenge" he began to panic a bit. His hands gripped at my shoulder as his face slowly inches closer to mine. I stared into his hurt red eyes.

". . . No..." I spoke in a trance state.
"W-what" he muttered.
"Inferno- what are you hoping from this battle..." I asked not breaking eye contact. He flinched back and looked away.

"You have to understand- I've lost so much to Pitch. I need to show him the pain and loss I've endured" He said angrily.

"Then What good are you?  If you end up like him" I argued back.
"What- how can you say that- he's a heartless monster who should've stayed under the bed where he belonged" He said as he backed up a bit.

"He's like that because people hurt him Inferno, he holds resentment and he doesn't know how to cope. Sure I want revenge but hurting him isn't going to solve anything" I spoke my tone more louder than I'd like. Inferno laughed a bit as he looked around.

"Yea is that so? You know what I think- I think a stupid girl like you should quite acting like you know what's good for this world- you were a nobody before a few months ago. Just a dumb teenager who found out she has some moon powers and now all of a sudden thinks she can fix the bad guys! Stop pretending! You were never like us- and you never will be!!" He yelled at me. I paused.

"Inferno- I may not be able to understand you, and I may never have to deal with the pain of being invisible. But I know my grounds. My grounds are too protect people. And that includes the bad guys" I spoke calmer than I intended too. His eyes widened as he gazed down on me. I bowed my head.

"Hope you can get some rest Inferno, we're all gonna need it"

And with that I walked back to my room. I laid down and felt myself slip into a dream. But it wasn't a good one....