Chapter 28- Do you need me?

The question caught him off guard. He wrapped his cool arms around me.

"Hey hey, why the sudden question?!" He said. I buried my face in his shoulder. I didn't want to face him. God I was so stupid to ask that of him.

"Y/N- speak to me" his voice rang in my ears and for a second I could feel his words echo in my chest. I sighed as I pulled back. His eyes widened a bit as he placed a soft hand on my cheek.

Oh
I was crying.

"Why- what's wrong?" He asked as his sky blue eyes squinted as his eyebrows furrowed with concern.

"It's nothing-" I lied. He gave me a slight eye roll
"y/n- I'm your best friend do you honestly think I don't know when somethings wrong with you" he scoffed. I laughed softly at his remark.

"Fine fine you've got me there... I had a nightmare and Eclipsa-The shadow queen said something that really messed me up..." I said looking away embarrassed. His cool hand moved a lock of my hair out of my face and lifted my face so I was looking at him.

"What did she say" his demanding demeanor caught me off guard. I stared at him for a while before pursing my lips and proceeding.

"She told me I had no ground with the guardians, that I'm just playing pretend that I'll never me accepted by you all - that im-." He cut me off.

"Y/n"
"What..?"
"How do you feel...?" His question caused me to jolt back. He held my hands and gripped them tightly.

"I....I know she's right jack- I can't be forgotten- I can't fade away I can't hurt like you all- I don't have magical children powers- the only reason I'm here is because I have daddy issues and my daddy happens to be the moon." I said as I looked down.

"That's the stupidest thing you've ever said in your life" his voice was low and serious. Something I've never heard before. I looked up to meet his stern gaze.

"I thought you were supposed to be the brains of our duo- do you know what North showed me when I first joined the guardians? He showed me how people have layers- they have layers Y/N" he waves his hand and made a frost image of me and held it up to me.

"What do you see?" He asked. I raised an eyebrow.
"A human..."
he smiled and raised a finger

"Ah ah- I see an immensely bright young woman" he twirled the mini me.

"Who can be vulnerable and strong and optimistic and so much more but most importantly- she has a center" he spoke softly.

"A center...?" I asked. He smiled and nodded
"Yes a center- we all have one. Something that makes us - well us" he explained. I smirked a bit

"Is your center being incredibly stupid?" I teased. He rolled his eyes as he let mini me explode into mini snowflakes- shaped like hearts..?

"Harty har har - very funny missy. My center happens to be fun- that's why I'm the guardian of fun and joy" he smiled as stood up twirling his staff.

"Our centers are what we give to the world- to the children- so what is your center..?" She asked holding out his staff. I stared at the frosted wood in front of me before gently pushing it back

"I don't know..." I mumbled. He smiled and ruffled my hair.
"That'll be your own personal journey- the end of the cross road . We'll be right here when you learn who you are - and I'll be here when you realize just why we need you snow flake" he smiled softly as he gently lifted my head with his finger. I looked up at him before holding his hand to my cheek.

"Thank you Jack... I really needed this" I smiled softly. He smiled back at me.

"Hey- for you I'd fly across the world" he chuckled. I rolled my eyes.

"By fly you mean the wind will carry you" I laughed. He laughed along

"Same thing!- point is you're important to the team! And from now on you'll always be a part of the team" he smiled warmly as a soft hand trailed the side of my face. I looked up at him as I felt my heart skip a beat.

"Jack.."
"Yea Y/N?"

"Promise me you'll never leave me- even if one day I forget you- please promise me you'll make me remember"
I begged him as I felt tears prick at my eyes at the thought of forgetting him. His eyes widened as he stared back at me.
"Of course- of course - id never let you forget me" He sputtered out as he sat down across from me.
"I know it's not really my thing - but. Y/N I really don't know what I'd do without you-." He said as he stared at me.
"I'm sure you could do a lot without me" I laughed.
"No I couldn't-." His serious tone once again shocked me.

"You are- are someone who has made me think of things differently. What it means to be a guardian- how precious a kids childhood is. How important being guardian is-y/n you made me realize how important I am" He spoke softly as a softly hand rested against my cheek. I stared into his eyes for what seemed like forever. How long had he felt like he was nothing? Like he could've been easily forgotten-

Somehow in that moment everything made sense to me
He made sense to me
"Jack I...."
my voice trailed as I inched closer. His eyes focused on me as he seemed to move closer

"Yes..?"

"I-."

The door bursted open

"Rise and shine tweety birds- oh" North bellowed but his shocked face caused I and Jack to move away from each other. North's face permanently stuck in shock.

"Sorry, I interrupt something?" He asked holding up his hands.

"No" "yes"

Mine and Jacks word jumbled together

"Yes" "no"

We looked at each other before Jack stood clearing his throat.

"A-anyway- we have a long day ahead of us..."

"Yes!" I agreed as I got up.

Time to get to business- but first food.