21. Whats left of it.

In the morning we were all sat at the table. I was sat next to Carl and Glenny and daddy was on the stairs. In front of me was a large bowl of food but I didn't know what it was. It's so gloopy and it looks bad.

"Everybody okay?" Ricky's voice echoed throughout the cell block. The gate scratched on the floor as he pushed it open.

"Yeah we are. What about you" Hershey said as everybody looked up at Ricky. I crained my neck upwards as he came closer.

"I cleared out the boiler block"

"How many were there?" Daddy quizzed

"I don't know. A dozen, two dozen. I have to get back. Just wanted to check on Carl." He said papping Carl's back.

"Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies. You don't have to."

"No I do" rick cut Glenny off. He quickly paced up to daddy. "Everybody got a gun and a knife?"

"Yeah" Daddy grunted. Well that was a lie. I only have a knife. "We're running low on ammo though."

"Maggie and me were planning on making a run this afternoon. Found a phone book with some places we can hit, look for bullets and formula." Glenny announced.

"Can I come? Please? I need some more sockies" I squeaked

"It's up to your dad" I huffed and sat back down and played with my gloopy food. There was no way that I was going to eat that.

"We cleared out the generator room" daddy informed rick. "Axels there trying to fix it in case of emergency. We're gonna sweep the lower levels as well."

"Good. Good" Ricky muttered while pacing out of the block and slamming the gate shut.

Bethy stood up and Hershey collected the plates while giving me a lecture about not eating. Daddy called me over as Hershey started to wash up.

"Hey listen. Imma go look in the tombs with Carl and Oscar for a bit okay. I already told Maggie nd Glenn ya can go with em. Just behave. Will you be okay here?"

"Can I come with you daddy?"

"Nah it's not safe. You stay here and look after every body okay... behave for Maggie and Glenn ya hear." I nodded my head and daddy ruffled my hair and stood up "love ya" then he made his way out of the cell block with Carl and Oscar.

Soon after Maggie told me to get changed and I changed into a shirt with a plane on it and some jeans with my boots. Maggie did the laces for me. I picked up toby from my cell and held him in one hand while I put my knife into my boot.

She took my hand and we both walked over to the car and she strapped me into the blue and black booster seat that we found during the winter. Then her and Glenny got in the car and we went off.

"Diego when we get back we've gotta get you some food in your belly"

"Whyyy" I whined

"Because daddy told me that you didn't touch your food"

"Do you thinks that we can gets some new toys?"

"If we find em then you can take them home." Maggie said.

"Home?" I repeated

"That's what it's gonna be.. isn't it"

"Maggie?"

"Hmm"

"How old am I?"

"I don't know honey when is your birthday?"

"Can it be yesterday?"

"If you want.. but why?"

"Cause I can have the same birthday as the baby... I'm 5 now Maggie" after that we all fell into a comfortable silence until we approached messy buildings and Glenny stopped the car. They both got out as I sat patiently in my seat.