Being There

Rebecca rolled over the next morning and stared at the clock on the bedside table. It was flashing. Of course, it was Joni would have had to have her or Isaac program it. She sighed and sat up in bed to look for her phone. She made her way to the bathroom to see if she had left it in there. No luck. "Must have left it in the living room," she shrugged heading out of the guest room.

She could hear Joni and Isaac talking. Maybe they made breakfast she thought to herself. She noticed her phone on the coffee table and grabbed it before turning toward the kitchen. She stopped as soon as she saw that Joni and Isaac were not alone. Sitting with them drinking coffee and talking was none other than Vincent.

Joni, having noticed Rebecca before the two men, jumped up from the breakfast bar and walked over to her quickly. "Morning," she said loud enough for everyone to hear before she lowered her voice to continue. "Isaac found him sleeping outside your door when he went for a run this morning." Rebecca frowned at this information. He never left last night? "I think you should talk to him. He really sounds sorry for everything he put you through." Rebecca nodded in agreement. "You can do it here if you feel more comfortable." Shaking her head, she walks over to where Vincent is sitting.

"Come on," she turned to talk to Isaac and Joni while he stood up. "Thanks for letting me stay last night guys," she hugged each of them before turning and heading for the door without saying a word to Vincent who says a quick thank you to her friends before following her out the door.

As soon as Rebecca hears the door to her apartment close, she spins around and looks directly into Vincent's eyes. "Why did they find you sleeping outside my door?" she asked him crossing her arms over her chest.

"I had something to handle something at the club after you left me sitting in the cafeteria and I thought maybe giving you time to breath was a good idea. But I couldn't stop thinking about how upset you were when you left so I came straight here to talk to you. When you didn't answer the door, I decided to stay until you left so I could catch you. I guess I fell asleep," he shrugged when he finished his explanation.

Rebecca felt guilty. "I'm sorry," she looked down and started picking at her nails.

"No, Rebecca. I'm the one that's sorry," he sighed and took a couple of steps toward her. "You were completely right. I am not your boss. I'm used to getting what I want when I command it."

"If we are going to be raising a child. You have to remember that I'm the other parent and you don't get to make all the decisions," Rebecca tried her hardest to look and sound like she was tougher than she really felt. When she didn't think she was succeeding she forced herself to turn and walk to the couch to sit down.

"I know," Vincent ran his hands through his hair before he followed Rebecca's lead and sat down beside her not leaving much room between them. "I don't want to make you do something you don't want to do so; I will ask you this time. Please hear me out on this. Move in with me," Rebecca rolled her eyes when his voice portrayed a command instead of a request yet again. "I'm trying, Rebecca," He held his hands up in surrender. "I just want to protect you and our child. I will work on being less overbearing," he told her and earned a nod of understanding from her.

"I will think about moving in with you. But for now, I'm staying here. I just got this place when I had to move in with you last time. I'm not ready to leave it again just yet." Vincent nodded.

"What about a doctor? Do you have one yet?"

Rebecca nodded her head, "I'm going to a coworker. She's really amazing. I have an appointment in two days," she told him with a smile.

Vincent knew that he should choose his battles and letting her pick her doctor was not as important as her moving in. He would give her time to think but he wasn't taking no for an answer. She would be coming home with him after her appointment in two days wither, she liked it or not.