Getting Advice

Rebecca woke up and looked out the large window across from the bed. It was still dark she moved to cuddle into Vincent but found that he was gone. She rolled over to pick her phone up from the bedside table. It was three in the morning, maybe he was in the bathroom. She waited about ten minutes before deciding he couldn't be in the bathroom and got up to find him.

She walked out of the bedroom and looked up the hallway toward the living room. It was completely dark. She looked in the other direction and noticed that a light was on. She headed that way and heard something drop in the floor and Vincent curse. She smiled when she realized the light and noise was coming from the room, they had decided on being the nursery.

When she got to the doorway she stood there and watched as Vincent tried to figure out where the piece he held went to the rest of the crib. He dropped the piece and picked up the instructions looking over them. Rebecca tried not to laugh at the sight of the big bad mafia man being beaten by a baby crib.

"Are you just going to stand there and watch or are you going to come in?" He said without turning around. He picked the piece back up and attached it where it belonged. Rebecca walked further into the room and looked around. Everything that had been bought had been delivered just before Vincent forced her to eat something for dinner even though her concern for him had made her feel so upset her stomach hurt. She noticed the dresser that she bought that matched the crib Nadia had bought. She continued to look around the room but stopped when she noticed a rocking chair beside the window that she hadn't bought and didn't remember any of the other girls getting while they were out earlier. She furrowed her brows and turned to Vincent.

"Who bought the rocking chair?" She asked him. He stopped what he was doing and looked at the chair then back at her.

"Lidia," he said as if it was normal for her to do nice things for her. Rebecca was shocked.

"Well at least she doesn't hate our child," she shrugged. She wished she could figure out why Lidia didn't like her so much. Vincent walked to stand beside her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her to him.

"She doesn't hate you," he kissed the end of her nose, then her cheek and finally lightly on the lips. He pulled back and grabbed her hand pulling her toward the rocking chair. "She didn't buy it but it was her idea to send it over," he told her taking a seat pulling her down onto his lap. "My great-grandfather made this for his first wife, Sofia, when she was pregnant with their first child. She loved it and would spend hours rocking both children in it all the time. When he got married to his second wife, Giulia, he put it away until his oldest son had his first child and he gave it to him to give to his wife and then it went to my father who gave it to my mother. I had forgotten about the tradition until Lidia asked me if I planned to give it to you. Lidia had it delivered while you all were shopping." He rested his chin on her shoulder and wrapped his arms tighter around her.

"Why didn't he give the chair to his second wife? Did she not have any children with him?" Rebecca asked him.

"He said that while he loved Giulia very much, Sofia was his true love and when she died giving birth to their third child he couldn't even look at the chair let alone imagine anyone, even Giulia, sitting in it," he kissed her on the cheek before turning to look out the window. Rebecca watched him. He looked as if he was thinking. She decided to kiss him on the cheek to pull him out of his thoughts. "What was that for?" He smiled at her.

"I love you," she smiled shyly. Vincent chuckled.

"I love you too. That's why I want you to have this chair," he smiled down at her. Her eyes widened.

"Vince. You don't have to do that."

"I don't have to but I want to," he said firmly. "I really, really want you to have it. Because no matter what happens, you are my true love," he watched as a few tears fell out of Rebecca's eyes. He wiped them away. "I know that I'm supposed to be tough and not say things like this but I can't help myself when it comes to you. I can't imagine life without you, Rebecca. I love you more than you will ever know." He tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear when it fell in front of her eye. "I want to spend every day showing you how just how much. For as long as you let me." Rebecca couldn't hold her tears back any longer and burst into tears. She grabbed his face with both hands and pulled his lips to hers.