No Show

Rebecca dropped the gauze she was using to wrap a burned foot on a patient, for the third time. "I'm sorry," she said smiling at the women.

"No problem," she smiled back. Rebecca took a deep breath and forced herself to focus on the task at hand. When she was done, she said a quick goodbye letting the patient know that a nurse would be in with her paperwork and rushed out of the room. She was having the worst time focusing on anything other than what she had overheard Vincent tell his sister.

After Roxana's gasp had gotten his attention, he had not said anything to explain what had been said. He had told Lidia they would speak later and rushed Rebecca to the elevator where he quickly pulled his phone out and started checking emails and sending texts. Rebecca rushed off the elevator when the doors opened. He grabbed her gently by the arm turning her to look at him.

"I have a meeting. Call me if you need to," he kissed her forehead before getting back on the elevator and leaving.

She sighed as she thought about the look on his face when the doors shut. It was like he was scared of something. Maybe she wasn't supposed to hear what he said. Maybe he didn't mean what he said he might have just been trying to get Lidia off his back about her.

She took out her phone and sent a group text to Joni and Rosalina asking if they could come to the hospital to have lunch with her. Before she could look through the chart for her next patient, they had both responded that they would be there.

When it came time for her lunch break, she filled in a nurse about a couple of patients and headed for the cafeteria to meet Joni and Rosalina.

"You look tired," Joni said as she sat at the table her friends had already sat at. Rebecca said nothing but sent her a glare.

"Really Joni?" Rosalina gave her a look of disbelief. Joni shrugged and turned back to Rebecca waiting for her to respond.

"Vince..." She started but sighed not knowing how to explain what was going through her head. She looked from one friend to the other. Both had raised eyebrows waiting for her to continue. "I overheard him telling his sister that he wants to marry me," she stopped when Rosalina gasped and Joni squealed. She sighed. She knew they would both be excited but she needed them to focus and help her wade through her feelings.

"Are we having the wedding before or after the baby?" Joni smiled wide. Rebecca sighed.

"Also, we are having twins," she mumbled picking at her food.

"What!" They both shouted gaining attention from a table of doctors not far from them. Rebecca waved at them mouthing an apology and looked back at her friends.

"I found out earlier."

"Amazing! So, the wedding?" Joni asked.

"I don't know. I mean for one, he didn't actually ask me," Rebecca looked down at her food. "I don't want to get married just because I got pregnant," she furrowed her brows. She hated the thought of him only wanting to marry her because of that. She wasn't sure though if it was because she wanted to marry him for the right reasons or because she didn't want to marry him.

"That isn't a problem," Rosalina said before taking a bite of the sandwich sitting in front of her. She swallowed and looked at Rebecca with a serious look. "You both love each other."

"I know that. But is that enough? What if the babies are the only reason for us to get married and then they grow up and we don't work anymore and I have to start over? Or what if he is like they show in the Mafia and he cheats all the time and I'm left alone all the time?" she stopped talking again when Rosalina started laughing. Rebecca furrowed her brow, "What?"

"Dom says that I watch too many mafia movies. Wait until I tell him about this," she had her hand over her mouth laughing hard.

"Look," Joni said gaining her attention, "you probably have nothing to worry about. Just because he said he wanted to marry you, doesn't mean he means right now," Rebecca nodded realizing she was right. "I mean if he does you have to say yes obviously so we can plan another wedding." Rebecca glared at her and Rosalina bumped her shoulder. "I'm just saying," she shrugged.

"I have to get back," Rebecca said standing up from the table. Rosalina followed and gave her a hug. "Joni please don't pout," she looked at her best friend whose arms were folded with her lip sticking out.

"Maybe a pros and cons list?" Rosalina suggests.

"I will think about everything," she tells them both before turning and heading back upstairs to her floor. Rebecca spent the rest of her shift thinking of all the reasons she should and shouldn't marry Vincent. By the time she had clocked out, she was more confused than she had been in the beginning.

She stood outside the hospital waiting for Vincent. She began to pace when he was nearly ten minutes late. It wouldn't be the big of a deal but Vincent was never late. Finally, a black SUV pulled up in front of her and Kert got out of the driver's seat. Rebecca raised a brow at him. "Miss," he nodded his head in her direction heading to the door and opening it.

"Kert?" She asked.

"Mr. Bellandini's meeting ran long. He asked me to come and pick you up," he said giving her a small smile. Rebecca thought it was odd that she hadn't gotten a text or call from Vincent to let her know of the change in plans because it was not like him at all. She got into the car and tried to relax.

When Kert dropped her off at the building, she hoped that Vincent would be home but when she got off the elevator and opened the penthouse door, the place was quiet. She sighed. She had really hoped to see him and maybe talk about everything. Instead, she walked through the empty living room to their bedroom and got in the bath to soak. She threw on one of Vincent's shirts when she got out and crawled into bed. She fell asleep almost instantly thinking about what their wedding would look like.

Rebecca woke up when she felt the bed dip behind her hours later. Rolling over, she saw Vincent pulling the blanket over him. She smiled at her with guilt on his face. "Sorry I woke you," he said pulling her to him. "I didn't know the meeting would run late. I wanted to pick you up." He rubbed his eyes. Rebecca could tell he was tired. She laid a hand on his chest and looked at him.

"It's okay. Are you okay?" she asked him after he took a couple of breaths.

"Yeah. Are you?" he asked tucking a hand behind his head with a smile. She nodded her head. "And the babies?" She nodded again causing him to smile. "Then I am okay," he kissed her on the top of her head then her forehead, nose and finally her lips. "I love you and I am really sorry for not picking you up tonight," he whispered. She felt him move his hand to her stomach. He rubbed it and she knew that they were okay at least for now.

"And I love you too," she smiled as she wiggled into his hold even more before falling back to sleep. 

I am so sorry the update is so late. I hurt my hand on vacation and haven't been able to type. This chapter is a little short but I wanted to get you something. I am working on the next chapter already but my hand is not fully healed still so it may not be until the end of next week. Don't forget to comment and vote.