Chapter 21

POV Daniel

"I'm sorry," the doctor said. "But I'm calling time of death at..." the doctor started.

Blip

The room froze. I went silent. 

Blip

Very slowly, every head turned towards the heart monitor. 

Blip

Our mouths dropped open as the green line rose in a bumpy sin and then fell again. That was impossible. Wasn't it, I thought faintly? Corbyn's heart just couldn't start on its own? Could it? I had to be hallucinating too desperate to think logically. I knew I was shaking and crying but I didn't care. I just stared hard at the monitor, moving closer, daring it to beep again. 

Blip 

"No fucking way," the doctor finally breathed as I went weak at the knees as someone had just let go of me from a great height. The three attendants heads snapped around to gape at the doctor but she ignored them, scrambling around the bed instead to grab the monitor. She stared at it hard, her nose nearly squashed against the screen. "That's fucking impossible!" she said again, shaking her head vehemently. 

Blip. 

"Patient has resumed normal sinus rhythm," the nurse announced unnecessarily.  "That is not possible," the doctor said again, refusing to believe what she could hear and see. "That is not medically possible. This has to be a joke!" she added. I wanted to say something stupid to her like, "don't sound so surprised. Even on his deathbed Corbyn likes to play pranks.".

Instead, what came out of my mouth was a choking sound, which could have been a laugh, a cry or even a scream. Next thing I knew my vision was going dark.

POV Corbyn

"Corbyn? Corbyn can you hear me?"  I heard someone say. I groaned, trying to fight away the urge to fall back under. I felt sluggish like I was drugged to the eyeballs with morphine, and that my eyelids were taped down because I really couldn't move them.  "Corbyn," the familiar voice coaxed again. "Can you open your eyes?" the familiar voice added. Oh, so they weren't taped down. With every ounce of my will, I flashed my eyes open, only catching a glimpse of white light and dark shadows. My eyelids felt like lead. God, my abdomen ached too and there was a horrible loud thudding in my head.  "Corbyn, that's it! Open your eyes." The familiar voice said and now I recognized that it was Jonah his voice.

I groaned, couldn't Jonah turn the volume of his voice down a little? It roared through my ears, sounding warped and painful.  "Too loud," I croaked. I heard laughter in reply, it sounded relieved and happy. Sleep was dragging me under again. "I'm tired," I mumbled before falling back unconscious. 

The next time I woke up, the weight against my eyes felt lighter. "Corbyn?" Jonah queried, his voice blessedly quieter this time. I blinked and slowly opened my eyes. The light was as harsh as the last time and it took me a few attempts to get used to it. It took me even longer to make out what the splotches of colour actually were. 

"J...Jonah?" I mumbled. God, my mouth was so dry.  "Sssh, here, sip this," Jonah said and I felt something springy being pressed against my lips. I let the straw in and took a feeble slurp. The water was ice cold and slipped roughly over my tongue. I  took another sip, using my tongue to weakly brush the liquid around my mouth, making it slick and smooth. The tiny amount of water I swallowed settled heavily in my stomach and made me suddenly feel sick. I quickly let go of the straw and turned his head.  "Hey Corbs," Jack said and his head appeared next to Jonah's overhead and I couldn't help but smile.  "Hi," I whispered.