Chapter 18 - Surprises

🔥 This is important !!!🔥

💫 We need a ship name for Luke and Leah so please leave a comment down below. Love you all. Now on with the chapter. 💫

Leah's POV

Ah, Valentine's Day the most dreaded day of the year for those without a partner or in my case whose partners live on the other side of the country. A few years ago I had just arrived in America and spent the day with Luke on a beautiful private beach. What am I doing this year? Picking up two extra shifts at the hospital because I can't stand to see any couples.

I shift in bed as my phone rings on the bedside table. I pick it up only to witness a picture of Luke and I kissing and his name written across the screen. I sigh, I may not have woken up in his arms but at least I can wake up to his face.

"Hey babe," I say awnser in the FaceTime call, an immediate grin spreading across my face as I lay my eyes on the man I love.

"Hi baby, good morning," he says as he puts a shirt over his head covering his abs in doing so. A look of love and longing plastered on his face.

"Happy Valentine's Day," I say, while mentally sighing at how we are so far apart.

"Happy Valentine's Day, What are your plans for today?" He asks as he does up his tie getting ready for work.

"I picked up a double shift, then I'm going to work in the labs and finally end the day by missing you Being next to me in our bed," I say my smile slightly fading as I do so.

"I know babe I miss you too, but we will see each other in a few months at Haley's wedding." He says and I notice his smile slightly fade as well.

"It can't come soon enough," I say running my hands through my long brown hair that is a mess from the previous night.

He smirks slightly and blows me a kiss through the camera. There is a slight knock on the door and I take my phone down with me to investigate.

I open the door to see a man holding a clipboard and in the other hand a crate.

"Delivery from a Mr Dunphy for a Dr James," the man says giving me the clipboard to sign, which I do before taking the crate from his hand and thanking him.

"Luke what the hell is this? it's moving," I say shocked as the crate slightly moves.

I sit my phone on the table

"Why don't you open the crate and see," he says unable to contain his laughter as I look sceptically at the crate.

I open the door of the container and a small German Shepard puppy comes running out of the crate and jumps onto my lap licking my face as he does so.

"You didn't," I say looking to the camera.

"Oh, but I did," he says bursting out in a fit of laughter.

"Luke! He is so cute, but why?" I ask as I rub inbetween the tiny puppy's ears putting him into a state of pure bliss.

"I thought you should have someone to keep you company while I can't, and when I saw this little guy in the shelter down here in Chicago I though he would be perfect," He says blushing slightly as he does and I shake my head at him.

When I was a kid I had a small dog. Her name was Ruby and she was literally my only friend as a kid. Luke knew about her but I would never expect him to get me a dog.

"So He is from Chicago?" I ask skeptically as the small puppy attempts to lick the screen obviously recognizing Luke through the device.

"Yeah I flew him over for you. He stayed with me for a while before, but I didn't give him a name," he says as he looks down at the fluffy brown and black german shepherd in my lap.

"I can't believe it. Thank you so much. I love him." I say as he licks my hand. "But I don't have any food or a bed for him." I add making a mental note that I need to stop by the store later.

"Don't worry, I have it covered, but I got Lily to come and dog sit for the day while you are at work, so I suggest you two go upstairs and get ready." He says before smiling a large grin at me. "There should be some dog food in the crate he was in," he adds as he looks down at the now sleeping puppy in my lap.

"Thank you so much babe. I love you," I say blowing him a kiss.

"I love you too. Speak soon?" He asks.

"Speak soon," I say before hanging up the phone and going upstairs to change for work.

xxx

The day goes by slowly as I visit patients with Dr Matthews and work in the lab on our project for a few hours. The project is going great we were recently able to save lamb that was born prematurely and I spent the day monitoring the embryo. After a long while I change out of my scrubs and head to the store to get some basic supplies for my new little guy. Finally I head home to my rambunctious puppy who welcomes me as I walk in the door shortly followed by Lily.

"Hi Lily," I greet giving her a hug and walking over to the sofa with her.

"How was he?" I ask as I once again pet the puppy in my arms.

"Adorable, we didn't do much except for watch tv and play with a toy I brought over," She awnsers just as the puppy jumps out of my arms.

"Did you know about Luke getting him?" I ask curiously.

"Yeah the whole family did, it was quite hard to keep it a secret," she says a she  laughs slightly.

"Well I gotta get going but I'll see you soon, oh and happy Valentine's Day," She adds and I begin to walk her out.

"You too, see you soon." I say and close the door.

I walk over to the sofa and a feeling of sadness overwhelms me when I realize that the seat next to me won't be occupied by my boyfriend on Valentine's Day.

I turn to my puppy in the floor and he looks up at me with curiosity.

"We need to give you a name," I say smiling at him. He still just looks at me and  moves his head slightly to the side.

"How about Max?," I ask but he doesn't respond.

"Okay Shadow?" I ask still no response.

"Rex?" Nope still nothing.

"Okay, well I will think of something," I say as I lay on the sofa and place him next to me. I turn on the TV and flip through the channels, finally landing on an Indiana Jones marathon.

"Hey how about Indiana?" I ask him and he looks to me and let's out a small bark. He must like it.

"You like that, Hey Indy," I say trying out the nickname. He wags his small tail and jumps up to my face, licking it as he does so.

"Well then that's your name. Indiana, Indy for short." I say picking him up and placing a kiss on his small head .

Just then there is a knock on the door. I get up to awnser it, Indy following closely behind me. I smile at him as he waddles along. I open the door and Luke is standing there surrounded by all types of dog things. I immediately jump into his arms.

💕💕💕

Yeah I couldn't keep them apart 😹😹I am trying to update as much as possible before school starts here again, so I hope you enjoy the new chapters. Thanks for all the comments and votes. I really appreciate all the support. Tell me what you want to happen in the future. Who knows I may add it to the story. Also do you like the name Indy? I love you all. Till next time ❤️💫

- L

💕💕💕