I. Rey

JAKKU, 21 ABY

Mother and I scrubbed and scrubbed the scraps. My tiny hands gripped the sharp metal. "Why aren't you wearing gloves?" Mother asked sternly. I shrugged. Mother grabbed my hands making me drop the metal and shoved big gloves on my hands. A robot came by yelling at us. Unkar Plutt then returned.

"Come back!" the girl my age in his arms said. "Quiet girl." "Come back!" she screamed again. He threw her to the ground. Next to me Mother stopped scrubbing. The robot chirped again as she stood up. "Mother?" I asked. "Leave. Her. Alone." Mother gritted through her teeth. "Mera, who are you to resist me." Unkar said. "Don't forget why you're here..." "Where's this child's parents?" she asked. "Classified." he simply said. "Really. Me too, big secret." she said sarcastically. She knelt down to the crying girls' level. Hooded figures approached her. "What's your name sweetheart?" "Rey." she said. "Nice to meet you Rey. Call me Mera. My daughter's name is Lillian." Mother said looking to me. The figures grabbed her. "Go with her." she said as they took her away for punishment. Rey walked up to me. The robots returned, yelling for us to get to work. I nodded picking up the metal. I handed one of the gloves to Rey and showed her what to do. She nodded and scrubbed through her tears.

Several hours later, we returned to our home in a downed AT-AT. "Where are you from?" I asked. "It doesn't matter. They'll come back." she said. Mother returned then. She was always tired and had bruises on her body. She coughed and looked to Rey. "You'll be staying with us from now on ok?" Rey nodded. "Until my parents come back?" "Yes, until they come back." Mother said.

25 ABY

Mother was paler. Rey and I sat next to her on the bed. We held her hands as she took her final breath. We were 10 when we buried my mother in the sand. I was alone. Helplessly alone in a galaxy far far away...