Back to KingsLanding

When the dawn came, Joanna was already up, dressed and making her way down to the front gate. Her hair was combed in a ponytail and she was wearing a black pair of pants and a red tunic underneath her armour, which had a golden breastplate with a lion in the chest, a black back and red shoulderplates. It had been made specific for her, at her father's order. She was also wearing a black pair of leather boots. At her waist, she had a red sheath with some golden orchids embroided in the red leather and with her sword, Sharp Claw, inside. It was a valyrian steel sword, made for her hight and weight. The hilt was gold and short. It was trimed with little waves and at the top of it was carved an orchid with a rubi at the center, finally before the blade, it had two golden spirals oposed to each other. This sword had a story, like every other sword in this land. She recieved it, when she was 14 years-old. Her brother Jaime had ordered it to the smith at KingsLanding, before she returned to the Rock. Every time she swinged Sharp Claw, she remembered the day he had given her the sword: it had been a beautifull morning, he had called her to meet him in the training yard, like every other morning. He had been sitting on a bench with a package in his hand, she had came close and had asked him "What is that?" "It's just something that I had the smith do for you." he had answered her, while giving her the package. She had opened it and had seen Sharp Claw for the first time, "Thank you, Jaime! I love it!" she had said giving him a hug, "You're welcome! Look, you will use it only if you have to. It's valyrian steel, so it's sharper and more resistent. When and if the time comes, I have no doubt that you'll know how to use it. You have become a great warrior and I couldn't be more proud of you." he had said putting his arm arround her and looking at her softly. "I promise, I won't let you down. Thank you for theaching me how to fight. I will keep praticing on the Rock." she had said giving him another hug. The day after that he had asked her, before she left through the gates of the Red Keep, "You know, it is common for people to name their swords. Which name will this one be given?" "I don't know yet. But I have all the journey to think about it. When you return to the Rock again, I'll tell you." she had said before starting riding home.
When Joanna arrived at the front gate, she saw her horse. It was not large, however it was perfect for her size and had beautifull white fur and black crin. The saddle was light brown and it was made of strong leather. In the saddle bags, were some suplies, a black cloak, one pair of gloves and a small bag with gold.
She walked to the horse and petted him. She loved horses, they were loyal and a good mean of transport.
Some time later, Jaime and their father arrived. "It's all settled to go?" their father asked looking to both of them. "I believe it is." Joanna answered looking to her brother, waiting for him to confirm it. "Yes, it is." Jaime confirmed and then climbed to his saddle. Joanna did the same and they were ready to go as was the Lannister army behind them. Before they left, their father said looking at them in the eyes "Remember be carefull and do whatever you have to do to survive. A lion doesn't concern himself with opinion of the sheep.". Both noded and started riding through the gates with the army following them.
After a few hours of journey in silence, Jaime and Joanna started talking. "What will be the first thing you will do when you get to KingsLanding, Joanna?" Jaime asked turning his head to her. "I think it will be getting down from the horse." she answered with a giggle looking at him. "Haha, very funny, you caught me off guard this time. You know what I mean." he said with an ironic tone and a smile. "Allright, it will probably go to see Cersei and the kids and catch up with them. And you? Have you got any orders to do, after setting camp?" she asked, by then with a more serious tone of voice. "Actually, yes I do. I have orders to take Riverrun, Catelyn Stark's girlhood home." he answered also with a serious tone. "I hope they release Tyrion, after that." she said looking at him in the eyes."So do I. But you know, he might have escaped already and might be heading to Casterly Rock, as we speak. He has many talents and the most efficient one is definetively his tongue." he said with a small giggle. "I know that. Guess we will have to wait until the ravens bring news of him. Yesterday, you said that KingsLanding was different than 3 years ago, why?" she asked with a little fear in her heart. Jaime seeing that in her eyes answered calmly "The small council is in the hands of liars and spies. The city has fallen in despair with Jon Arryn's death. The King doesn't care a damn thing about the kingdom. He only cares about drinking and fucking and funcking and drinking. In resume, that city is a pit of lies and treason after treason." "And what about Cersei? Is she the same person?" she asked in a very serious tone and looking directly at Jaime. Hope she still is...she thought to herself. Jaime looked at his little sister, and knew that there was no point in hiding the truth, Cersei had changed and not for the better. She is going to be in shock when I tell her, but it is for the best. She has the right to know and maybe just maybe this way, they will not enter in conflit, which I don't believe not even for a second he thought to himself. Joanna knew that look, something had happened and it was not good. Jaime hesitated for a while and then looked Joanna in the eyes and said "I'm not lying to you, because there is no point in it. Our sister has changed. Since the kids were old enough to claim the throne, she has become obessesed about them. She become cold and merciless. She will do anything for them. Cersei is not the young woman you knew and her new personality is the oposite of yours. You will have to be patient. I know that deep down she is still the same person but she won't let anyone get to that part of her, not even me." "She is my sister, I will always love her in her best and in her worst. Besides, you do love her and as long as, both of you and the kids were happy, I'm happy for you. I promise, I'll do my best to not loose my temper. You know that as long as the four of us were safe and have each other, we will be fine." Joanna said giving him a softly look. She was nothing like that, I remember her as a sweet woman and a lovely sister. Of course, she loves her kids, but she wouldn't use them to get to the throne, would she? I hope not. Joanna thought to herself.
"Well, it seems that this is where we say goodbye." Jaime said stopping the horse and getting down from it. "It does seem like it." Joanna said snapping out of her thoughts and doing the same.
They hugged and Jaime kissed his sister's head. "Farewell, little lioness." he said, "You too, big brother." she said giving him another hug.
They both climbed back to their horses and went in separated ways. Before they were too far, Joanna said " Jaime! If you need me, sent for me. I'll always be there for you. Remind them that a Lannister always pays his debts!". Jaime turned and noded.
After some days of riding, Joanna though it was better for her and for the 10 soldiers, that escorted her, to make camp there that night. The night was beautifull with the sky full of stars. They made a fire and stood there telling stories about their adventures. Joanna loved hearing the storys of the knights. They were always amazing, the good ones, the bad ones and even the stupid ones.
Later that night in her tend, Joanna thought about how it would be to return to KingsLanding, hope it still has the same colors than 3 years ago, Jaime make it sound like it was a totally different city. I wish I never had left, we were so happy there. After some thinking, she eventually fell asleep.
The next day, they lifted camp and continued their journey to the capital.
During the rest of the days of travelled, Joanna remembered her childhood in that city. She knew that once she dove into her thoughts, she would lost the notion of time, however she needed to remember the happy times she had had in that city with her siblings, because she did not have a clue of what she would find when she got there and she might have to take some comfort in the old good times, if she would need to "go away inside", like Jaime had thaught her.
Cersei married the King when Joanna was 4 years-old. She did not remember much, only that her sister was beautifull and that KingsLanding was the more glorious city she had ever seen.
After that, only her and Tyrion were in the Rock, Cersei was the Queen and had to stay in KingsLanding and Jaime was part of the Kingsguard and could not leave either, eventhough he would visit them sometimes.
In her childhood, at least until she turned 11, she spent most her time in Casterly Rock with Tyrion, their father was away most of the time. They were very close, even with 7 years of difference. They used to play in the garden, tell stories and even draw sometimes. Tyrion was the one that basicaly raised her, because they only saw their father twice a month. The rest of the time, it was only the two of them and some servants and knights. He was the one who thaught her the history of the Seven Kingdoms and how to read and write properly. He took care of her when she was sick and was the one she resorted to when she could not sleep or needed to talk. He was always there, that is why she felt in debt to him. And a Lannister always paid his debts.
When she turned 11, her father sent her to KingsLanding. Tywin sent Joanna to be handmaiden of her sister, so that she would learn to be a lady. The time she spent there was precious, she could spend time with Cersei and the kids and helped her with her dresses, kept her company and helped her with the kids.
Tyrion always told her new stories about the Targaryens and their dragons, when he come to visit them.
During that time, she also learnt how to fight with the sword, because after Jaime saw her in the streets fighting the boys and loosing, he promised her that she would learn how to defeat them. He always knew she was not a lady like their sister and that, with the right training, she would be better than he ever would be.
Joanna was so imersed her thoughts, that, when she realised, they were already entering the city's gates. Well, it still smells like shit, so that part didn't change. she thought to herself. That city never smelled good and probably never would. From the gates, you could see the Red Keep standing as tall as the sky. In that moment Joanna felt a bit nostalgic and had a little dejavu.
When they stopped, Joanna got down from the horse and said "Allright, lads we are here. Settle in and if I need you, I'll sent for you. From here I can go alone. Good trip and good stay." Then she made her way to the Red Keep on foot. When she was younger, she would sneak out disguised has common folk, just to walk through the city with the people and help them.
She was walking through the Flea Bottom when, all of suden, she started to see all the people running in the same direction. She started to follow them hastily, until she bumped into one young girl with short dark brown hair and grey eyes "I'm sorry little one, are you allright?" "Yes, yes. It was nothing." the girl answered looking down. She seemed to her like she did not want to be recognized. "Do you know, why is everyone going in that direction? It's allright, I am not going to hurt you. I might be in an armour but I'm not a red or golden cloak." Joanna said softly putting a hand in the girl's shoulder. She knew that not all of the knights were good and that some of them liked to mess with little girls. "My fat- I mean King Joffrey is going to take Ned Stark to the Sept of Baelor but I don't know why." the girl said trembling, looking at her and then at the ground. Joanna saw that the little girl was afraid and she wanted to keep her safe. "Thank you for telling me. Now go home, allright? Go to your family." she said kissing the girl in the head and then running to the Sept. Seven hells, he is going to execute him. I have to get there before that. Joffrey is king now? she thought to herself while running.
When she finally arrived at the front of the Sept, she saw Cersei, Joffrey, The Hound, a girl she did not knopw, Littlefinger and the other members of the small council, Sir Illyn Payne, The King's Justice and Ned Stark. Before she could get near the place where they were standing, she heard her nephew said " Sir Illyn, bring me his head!". She looked around, the crowd was chearing, the girl she had bumped into some time before was getting down from a statue with tears in her eyes, the girl she did not know was yelling merci for the acused and the members of the small council were trying to calm her down, her sister was trying to put some sense into Joffrey's head and he was standing there proud as a lion with not a trace of guilt or honor. Then the silence fell through the entire city when The King's Justice swinged his sword and chopped Ned Stark's head off.
Joanna was just standing there in the middle of the crowd in shock, not believing what she had seen. How could a child have such power and be so cruel?
Jaime was right, this city has changed, she thought to herself while snapping out of the shock and making her way to the Red Keep.