City of Lies: Part 2

The next day, in the morning, Joanna went to Sansa's chambers to check on her, as she had promised the day before. She knocked on the door and Shae opened it, letting her in.
"Good morning. I see you already met Shae." Joanna said to Sansa. "Good morning. Do you know her?" she asked suprised. "I do, she was handmaiden to Lady Zuriff from Pentos. I knew her, she visited the Rock a few years ago." Joanna explained. She, Tyrion and Shae had come up with that idea to ensure that nobody would suspect who she was. "I remember that day. It was wonderfull." Shae said with a smile. "Yes, it was. Sansa, how was dinner yesterday?" Joanna asked concerned. "Awfull, again. We talked about killing my brother and the wedding. I don't want to disappoint Myrcella and Tommen, but I don't ever want to marry Joffrey. Also, I hate having to pretend that I want to." she answered sadly. "I know that you don't want to marry him. Don't worry about Tommen and Myrcella, they know what Joffrey is. He is their brother, after all. They will understand. Speaking of which, I have to go kick Joffrey's ass." Joanna said trying to comfort her. "You are in leather and not in armour, are you sure you aren't going to get hurt?" Sansa asked concerned. "Don't worry, we will use training swords, they don't cut much." Joanna reassured her. "You know, Joffrey won't use a training sword right? He is going to use a real sword." Sansa said looking at her. "In that case, I guess, I will have to make sure it doesn't touch me." she said a little concerned . How come that I didn't think of that? she thought to herself. "Why don't you use a real sword too?" Sansa asked. One could see she was revolted by Joffrey's actions. "I promised my sister I wouldn't hurt him. Actually, I don't want to hurt him, I can't risk spending a night in a dangeon. So, I can't fight with a live steel sword." Joanna explain. "Well, then good luck is all I can say, and be carefull." Sansa said. "Good luck. You will beat him up, easily." Shae wished. "Thank you to you both. Watch the show from the window." Joanna said with a giggle and left.
Joanna went to the training yard and picked up a sword. When she turned, Joffrey was already there, in his shining armour and proud as a lion, with his live steel sword in hand. He could be a lion, however she was a lioness and she had something to live up to, more than him: her name. She would never loose to a boy, king or not, family or not.
"Why are you in armour, Your Grace? I thought this was training. So, I don't think you should use a live steel sword either." Joanna said trying to make him change his mind. "Well, we are Lannisters, right? We have our pride, so why wouldn't we make this training a real fight, with live steel and gold armour." Joffrey said teasing her. "Yes, we are Lannisters and yes, we have our pride. However, we are also family and the words: Hear me Roar, are better to be saved for the battlefield, don't you think, dear nephew?" she stated. He sould have thought first, before talking. I know more about my house, than he does, she thought to herself. "Well, whatever. Fight on your own terms. Unless you loose, from that on, it will be on my terms." he treathed her with a devilish smile. "I'm sorry to disanpoint you, dear. But, I do not intend to loose. Shall we begin?" Joanna said putting herself in position to fight. Joffrey did the same thing.
Then he moved into her, bringing his sword down on her with both hands. She defended the strike with the sword in one hand and the swords kissed and sprang apart in a instant. They took a step back into the initial position. Joffrey was in shock, he would swear that she could not defend the first strike. "Use only one hand, to keep the balance." she said and mooved her right foot forward to strike him. He defended with one hand, however when the swords come toghether his sword fell from his hand. Joanna picked up the sword and delivered it to him, saying softly, "Don't let your guard down, and use your feet to not loose the balance or the control of the sword." Joffrey nodded reluntacly. She turned and was returning to her initialy position, when he moved foward to strike her in the back. She immediately turned  back, stopping the strike with the sword in both hands and falling on one knee. The swords impacted so hard and so fast that sparkles flown from their touch. Then she put all her strenght in the sword, standing up and causing Joffrey to take a step back. Joanna swirled her sword, disarming him. His live steel sword fell on the ground hopeless. Joffrey took a step back and looked at her in shock and anger. She just stood there looking at him, with her sword in hand and proud as lioness should be. "You said that Lannisters have their pride. You bretrayed your words, when you tried to strike someone in the back, for no good reason." Joanna said seriously.
Joffrey grunted, picked up his sword and left, saying "This isn't over! You are still only a girl. And you will never be a knight! I don't even know, why you try. Nobody will love you for who you are, little piece of shit. You don't even deserve to have the Lannister name!". "You should speak more softly to me, we both know, I'm better than you. I will always be a better knight than you, even without title, dear nephew." Joanna said loudly, in a way that he could hear it. She put away the sword and went to her room. She was furious. She could kill him right there, without even an effort, however she could not do that. No one dared sugesting her that she did not deserve to have the Lannister name and got away with it. However, Joffrey was the King and she could not do anything to him.
When she got to her chambers, she entered and slammed the door. Who does he think he is? He is the one who doesn't deserve to have the Lannister name. He is a stupid, little idiot. He shouldn't be King. And now, I am going to have to face him without even saying a word and Cersei will for sure fall in his trap and come yelling at me sooner or later. I am so done with this. I should have left, when I had the chance, she thought to herself while walking through the room. Joanna was snapped out of her thoughts, when she heard a knock on the door. She opened the door and saw Podrick. Joanna let him in and closed the door. "Joanna, I heard..." he was saying when she went to him and hugged him. He hugged her back. She needed that . He was her only real friend that she was not related to. After they separated from the hug, she said "I'm sorry, Pod. I shouldn't have done that.". "It's allright. I heard about what happened, I wanted to make sure you were allright." he said looking at her. "Well, I can't say I'm allright. I mean I'm angry and sad." she said looking down. "You have every right to be. Joffrey shouldn't have said those things." he said softly. "But he did. I don't know what I was thinking, I mean I'm a girl, I can't defeat the King and be taken serious. But no, I have to stuck with my pride." she said angry. "You are way better than him and he may be the King, but you are a lioness. He couldn't last one instant in a war. You could go through every war and more." he said trying to comfort her. "Thank you for being here. You are my only friend, you know?" she said more calmly, looking at him. "You don't have to thank me. You are also my only friend." he said softly, looking at her. "I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't face him, Pod. I can't look at him and not think about killing him. He is my nephew, for gods sake! I was suppose to proctect him." Joanna said walking through the room again. "Allright, Joanna, stop just for a moment. You can do everything, allright? You said it yourself, you're a lady that fights with a sword. You convinced your father, the most powerfull man in the Seven Kingdoms, to allow you to practice swordfighting. Joffrey is just a kid." Pod said putting himself in front of her and putting his hands on her shoulders. "My sister is going to make my life hell, because of this." she said looking at him. "You have your brother, you have me and Lady Sansa and Shae and even Bronn. We will work it out." he reasured her. "You're right. But, this is my battle, I have to face it alone. I can't put any of your lifes in danger." she said looking at him smiling. "When the battle comes, we will see how it plays out." he said smiling. She hugged him again and he gave her a small kiss in her forehead. "Can you take me to Tyrion, I need to talk to him." Joanna said after they separated from the hug. "Sure. Come." Pod said softly and opened the door. They went to Tyrion's chambers. Podrick knocked on the door and Tyrion opened it. He saw them both. Shae had already told him what had happened in the yard. He let them in. "Joanna, are you allright?" Shae asked her concern, she saw the way she had letf the yard earlier. "Yes, I mean I'm more calm, now." Joanna answered. "You know that Joffrey wasn't speaking the truth, right? You will always be a Lannister and there is no one that deserve more to have this name than you." her brother said to her. "I know, or at least someone reminded me of that when I couldn't." Joanna said looking at Pod and smiling. Pod nodded smiling. Tyrion knew that they were friends by then, and he was happy for them. "Tyrion, our sister is going to make my life a living hell after this, because Joffrey is going to tell her a complete different  version of reality and she is totally blind when it comes to her children. That is, if Joffrey doesn't want my head first. He was totally pissed off." she said trying to keep calm. It was not exactly working. "He can't have your head or anything from you. You are my sister and if our sister or Joffrey try anything, they will have to deal with me. Father will eventually come to KingsLanding and then we will have no more problems to deal with." Tyrion reassured her. "Until then, this is my battle, I have to face it alone. If they want to bring hell to earth, so be it. I came to talk to you, because I want you to know what happened and because you are the Hand of the King." Joanna said seriously. "I'm glad you come to me about this. I have to put in practice the plan I told you about today.  Tonight come to meet me here and we can talk. I also have something to tell you. Podrick stay with my sister this evening, will you? I don't want her to be alone or in the spotlights, at least for today." Tyrion said. "Of course, my lord." Pod said nodding. "I guess, I am going to remain in my chambers or somewhere isolated the rest of the day. So, I better get going." she said excusing herself and leaving. Pod followed her. "Where do you like to go, my lady?" he asked her. "I told you not to call me that. We can eat in my chambers and then we can go to the garden behind the castle." Joanna said thinking. "I'm sorry, but in the halls I don't have much choice. That seems a good plan. I'll go get the food and then I'll meet you in yours chambers." Pod said. She nodded and headed to her chambers.
When Joanna arrived at the chambers, the door was opened. She entered the room carefully, when she was inside the room, she looked around and everything was a mess. The bed was without the sheets or the pilows, which were all around the room's floor. The chairs of the table had fallen and the candle holders were broken. Her sketches were torn apart or all around the room. The closet was opened and her clothes were all scattered. She was in shock, however suddenly one thought crossed her mind: Sharp Claw. She shearched everywhere, but the sword was nowhere to be seen.
No, no, no, not my sword, please not my sword. I have to find it, she thought for herself and tears begun to fall. That sword mean more to her than everything she owned.
It was everything she had been through...it was the nights of starry skies in Casterly Rock with her siblings, it was the stories that Tyrion had told her in the childhood, it was the time she had spent with Cersei learning the coustesies of being a lady, it was her sword lessons with Jaime, it was the visits that she had made with her father through the Seven Kingdoms, it was her inspiration, her reason to move forward, it was her way of honor her name.
That sword was Casterly Rock and it's beauty.
That sword was Tyrion and Cersei always fighting, but making peace afterwards.
That sword was her memory of Jaime!
It was the only thing that made her feel at home and with her family.
IT WAS HER FUTURE LEGACY.
No one could know she had it. And, somehow, by then she secret was out.
When Pod arrived at the room, he almost ran to see what had happened. He entered, put the food on the table and closed the door, as fast as he could. Joanna was just standing there without a word and fighting the tears. He went to her and gave her a hug to comfort her, saying, "We will get through this, you will see. They are going to get what their deserve sooner or later.". "They took the only thing, I had ever cared to own." she said angry and sad. After that, she separated from the hug, she wiped her tears and rage took over.
"Pod, can you stay here, just for a moment? I have to go talk with my sister." Joanna said serious. "I can. But, do you really think it's  a good idea to go talk to your sister today?" Pod said trying to make her change her mind. "Joffrey took my sword. My brother gave me that sword, I will not allow an idiot little spoiled brat take it away . If I can't do things the civilized way, I will have to play their game." she said angry. Joanna was going to try to solve things the right way, however if it came to that she would have to play the game.
"Allright, if you think it's for the best. I will stay here until you return." Pod said. Joanna nodded and left.
She headed to her sister's chambers. When she arrived, she knocked on the door. She had to try real hard to keep herself calm. Her sister opened the door and let her in. "What are you doing here, little sister? You should be in your room after what you did to Joff." Cersei said bossy. "Well, I don't know if my room is the most indicate place, Cersei. Taking into count, that it was totally turned into a mess. So listen to me, you are going to tell your son to give me my sword back and apologize to me or you and I are done." Joanna said codly and angry. "I don't know anything about any sword or what happened to your room. Stop making threats that you can't act upon." Cersei said rebutting. " Do you think I'm joking? Your son took my sword. Jaime gave me that sword. It's Valyrian steel and it means more to me than anything. I swore I would never loose it. Believe me, I'm not joking. So, either you tell him to give it back and apologize, or you and I will never be sisters again and I'll tell father to come back." Joanna said coldly. "As if father would come back, because of that. You are angry now, it will pass later. It's just a stupid sword." Cersei said laughing. "It's Sharp Claw! And if you don't believe me, asked Jaime when he returns. Believe me, it's not just a stupid sword. If you want to try me try, you'll loose just like Joffrey did this morning." Joanna said coldly and left. She was walking down the corridor when she heard, "Fine! I'll tell him. Just don't call father and don't go away.". It was Cersei. "Allright then, go talk to him. I won't tell father. But, I'm only staying because of Tommen and Myrcella. You are not my sister anymore! The sister I knew would have defended her family and not taken sides." Joanna said codly, turning.
Then Joanna went to her room. Podrick was still there and had started cleaning the room. "Hey, I'm back. Thank you for starting cleaning it. I'll help you and then we will eat." Joanna said closing the door. "No problem. Are you allright?" Pod asked. "Yes, I'll be allright." Joanna answered.
They cleaned the room and then had lunch. After some time talking, they heard a knock on the door. Joanna went to open the door and she saw Joffrey with Sharp Claw in his hand. He was embarassed and angry for having to do this.
"What can I do for you, nephew?" she asked codly. "I shouldn't have taken this from you. It was wrong and I hope that you'll forgive me." Joffrey said giving her Sharp Claw. "Yes, you shouldn't. I hope that you learned that. I forgive you. Now, go." she said taking Sharp Claw. Joffrey nodded looking down and leaving. She closed the door and went back to inside the room. "Who was it?" Pod asked. "Joffrey. He come to give me my sword back and to apologize. After Cersei told him to." Joanna said showing him Sharp Claw. "It is a really nice sword. I'm glad he gave it back." Pod said looking at her. "Me too. Come, let's go to the garden I need to sharp the sword with whetstone." she said looking at the sword and then at him. "Let's go, then." Pod said going to the door.
They went to the garden and stayed there for hours. Sansa went to meet them after some time. "Joanna, I'm so sorry about what happened. But, if you don't mind me saying so, you did beat his ass." Sansa said approching "Thank you, Sansa. It really means a lot to me." Joanna said with a small smile. "What are you doing? I don't understand anything about swords." Sansa asked curious. "Me neither, she had to explain to me, when we got here." Pod said with a giggle. Joanna and Sansa laughed. "At least you learnt it. Well, I'm sharping the blade with whetstone. As it is Valyrian steel it takes longer." Joanna explain it. "Who thaught you all that?" Sansa asked suprised. "Jaime. I almost lost Sharp Claw today, I have to take good care of it." Joanna said. "You will. It must have been hard for you to stand up agaisnt your sister." Sansa said looking down. "She is not my sister. The sister I knew wouldn't have taken sides. It had to be done and she deserved it." Joanna said coldly. "Will you be staying in KingsLanding?" Sansa asked concerned. "I have to stay, at least, until my father returns. I want to make sure that Tommen, Myrcella and my brother are allright, before I return to the Rock, if I ever return." Joanna explained. "You have to, it's your home." Pod said smiling at her. "Yes, Pod is right. You have to return to Casterly Rock and I have to return to Winterfell. That is where we belong." Sansa said reassuring her. "Perphaps someday, we will be able to finally bring peace between Lannisters and Starks, after all this war." Joanna said smiling. "Perphaps someday we will." Sansa said also smiling. "I want to live to see that." Pod said with a giggle. The girls looked at him and giggled too. "Podrick Payne..." the girls said toghether. "Lady Sansa Stark and Lady Joanna Lannister." he said looking at them. "Don't call me lady." Joanna said with a giggle. "We know." Pod and Sansa said at the same time.
The three of them laughed.
In the middle of all the sorrow and anger she had felt that day, Joanna felt light again with Pod and Sansa. After all, she could be the daughter of the most powerfull man in Westeros and as brave and strong as a lioness, however she was also a girl of 17 and she was a woman, to whom the most important things in life were family and friends. Her family was or in chains or torn apart by then, however her friends would always be there for her and she would do the same for them.
They spent several more hours talking and laughing in the garden, trying to relieve the stress of the day's events. Then all of them left to their rooms.
Joanna went to her chamber to prepare herself for dinner and finally change her clothes. She was still wearing her training outfit, once everything had happened so fast. Joanna put on a red long dress with short sleeves and without ornaments. She also wore a pair of black shoes. She released her hair and it fell down with a few waves behind her back.
After preparing herself, Joanna was ready to go to dinner, when a knock was heard on the door. Joanna opened the door and was very suprised to see Lord Varys, the Spider.
"Good night, my lord. What can I do for you?" she asked letting him in. "Good night, my lady. I just wanted to see how you were. After all that happened." Varys said with his normal tone. "Well, I appreciate your concern, my lord. I'm well. As it is usual to say, the storm is gone." she answered politely. "I am very pleased to hear that. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that now is the time for the storm to come to your sister." he said looking down. "Cersei? Why do you said that, my lord?" she asked suprised. Joanna could be angry with Cersei and she might not consider her as her sister anymore, however she still cared about her and the oath she had made. "Princess Myrcella will be sent to Dorne in a few days. It must be terrible for a mother to see her daughter being sent away. Even if it is for her safety." Varys explained. "It must be indeed. Thank for telling me this, my lord. I have to go speak with Cersei. If you excuse me." Joanna said opening the door. "Of course, my lady. I too have to go talk with your brother." Varys said leaving.
After that, Joanna made her way to Cersei's chambers worried. Myrcella was good and did not deserve this  happening to her, however as long as she was safe, Joanna suported the decision. However, her thoughts were focused on Cersei by then, and how it must feel to a mother to see a child going away against her will.
Joanna was almost there, when she saw her cousin, Lancel Lannister, sneaking out of Cersei's chambers. Joanna and Lancel had spent a few months toghether in Casterly Rock, when they were younger, therefore they knew each other.
She went after him until she caught up with him, "Cousin Lancel, so good to see you again." "Cousin Joanna, good to see you too." he said awkwardly. "Can I ask you, why were you leaving Cersei's chambers?" Joanna asked directly. "Well, she wanted me to-to deliever-r a me-essage to your brother." he answered clumsy. "Come on, Lancel. You can do better than this. Tell me the truth." she asked seriously. "What do you mean-n? I-I'm not lyin-g." he said trying to get away with it. "Remember when we were kids and we played in the garden? I could always tell where you were, beacause you never shuted up." Joanna said treathing him. "What does that have to do with this?" Lancel asked confused. "That is why I know you are lying, because you can't make complete sentences without stutter. Not even, when you were a child. So tell me the truth, you know what I can do." Joanna treathened him. Lancel swallowed hard and then gave it up, "Allright, allright. Your sister comanded me to come to her and to, you know, warm her bed ..." Joanna's blood ran cold on hearing that. She couldn't believe it. She knew that Cersei could betray her or Tyrion, however she always thought that she would never do that to Jaime. Specially, in the terms of their relationship. "Cersei comanded you to bed her. And you did it!?" Joanna said in shock. "Your father told to obey her in everything! Can I go now, please?" Lancel begged. "Fine, go. And Lancel, if you tell any of this to anyone, I'll kill you. That is if Jaime doesn't find out, first." Joanna warned him. Then Lancel left and she headed to her room, she wasn't hungry or worried anymore.
Joanna entered her chambers and closed the door. Seven hells! How could she? He loves her. He really loves her. He went to the fucking Kingsguard for her and then she betrayed him with Lancel!? Seriously, Lancel! She doesn't deserve him. I hope he realises that, before it is too late. I can't believe it. I can't! It can't be true. It can't... Fine, it is true. I have to tell Tyrion...And Jaime...when he gets back. That is going to be hard, Joanna thought to herself while walking through the room.
She left the room to go to meet Tyrion.
When Joanna got to Tyrion's chambers, she entered and said serious and concerned, "I have to tell you something...".