A Lesson to be Learnt

Only inside did Joanna see that Lord Varys was also there, otherwise she would have never said that phrase with such concern. She would have hiden the emotion. However, it was too late. The Spider had already noticed the tourmoil in her voice and, as soon as he left the room his little birds would begin their work. The only relief was that the person who hide the secret was Cersei Lannister. She was a master at keeping secrets and emotions, as well as the last person to admit to a flaw.
Before Joanna could said anything else, her brother spoke: "Pardon me, my lord. My dear sister sometimes forgets her courtesies, like I do." "I'm so sorry, my lord. I perfer the sword to the gown and sometimes it goes to my head...I hope you can forgive me." Joanna said awkwardly, with a faking regreted tone. "Oh, I paid little heed to that, sweet child. Of course I forgive you. It seems that something is troubling you, may I offer my help?" Varys said with his neutral tone, as usual. No one could guess what the eunuch was thinking, however the man was quite talented when it came to read the others minds. Besides, Joanna knew that she could be transparent as glass, when her emotions were boiling at the surface, just like in that moment. "I thank you for your forgiveness, my lord. I apreciate your offer. However this is a family matter and I fear that it should not evolve anyone, besides me and my brother. I hope you understand, my lord." she said kindly. "Lord Varys, as much as I enjoy your riddles, I fear that I too have matters to discuss with my sister." Tyrion said, seeing the tension in the room. "Of course, my lord hand. My lady, if I could do anything for you do not hesitate to ask. If you excuse me." Varys said and, with that, he left the room.
Joanna took a sit at the table in front of her brother, without saying a word. She almost said it, almost said it all in one sentence. Damn it. Now the spider will come into action. They have kept it secret for years, he won't find out...especially because it is her who keeps the secret this time, she tought to herself. "Joanna, what happened?" Tyrion asked concern. "I went to Cersei's chambers, to see how she was dealing with Myrcella's departure. She may not be my sister anymore, but I still care for her. I can't stop caring for her, even if I try." Joanna said fustrated. "She is not- Allright, I need more details. Take a breath and start from the moment you left this room, in the morning." Tyrion said confused, something really wrong had happened and he did not know a thing about it. Joanna sighed and began to explain the situation, "Allright. I got to my room and it was a total mess. It was Joffrey that comanded it and he took my sword-" "Wait, you have a sword?" he asked suprised. Joanna had forgoten that he did not know about Sharp Claw. However, she was pretty sure that everybody in court knew about it by then, so she told him. "Yes, I do. It's name is Sharp Claw and it is Valyrian steel. Jaime gave it to me, years ago. Only me and him knew I have it. At least, until today. Joffrey stole it. As he is the King, I can't touch him, besides I didn't trust myself to face him at that moment, so I went to talk to Cersei. I told her to tell him to give me the sword and apologize or I would call father. She took Joffrey's side, even knowing he was wrong, so I told her she was not my sister anymore. The sister I knew would stand by her family and try to solve the things without taking sides. May I proceed?" she asked. Tyrion was suprised by that, however he understood Joanna's position. Joanna and Cersei were very different, by then, and their personalities entered into conflict. His sisters were not at speaking terms and it seemed that they would never be again. He knew deep down that this would happen sooner or later, however he also knew that they were family and they would never stop caring for each other, even if they tried. The only hope was that, at the end, honor would speak louder than their quarell, for the sake of their oath. "Allright, let me get this straight, you have a Valyrian steel sword, named Sharp Claw, that for some unknown reason I did not know about. Joffrey stole it and you went to talk to Cersei and she took his side. Now you don't consider her your sister anymore. Please, tell me you didn't have to call father." Tyrion said thinking. "I didn't tell father anything. She gave up, eventually. Like I was saying, I was going to her chambers and I saw Lancel came out. I went to talk to him, to discover why he was in her chambers, and..." Joanna was saying, however she stoped. She did not want to believe it. She did not want that the image she had of her family, even as messed up as it was, to fell apart , and it felt like that if she said it out loud. "And? What did you find out?" Tyrion asked concerned. "She is betraying him...she is..." Joanna answered trying to get the words out of her mouth. She did not know what was worse: the situation of her family or the fact that she was going to have to tell Jaime about it.
Tyrion took a sit at the table and served both of them some wine. "I didn't know that she was capable of it. I do not want to be in Lancel's place once Jaime finds out. That is...just...wow." he said holding a glass with wine and handing the other to her. "Thank you. I don't think, she has the notion of how much he loves her and the things he did for her. That is the worst of all." Joanna said taking the glass and then she sipping a bit of wine. "The good thing is that is Lancel Lannister, so I can use him to get information about her plans, sure she is going to send him to tell me to release Pyrcelle, who was the Queen's spy, after all...I also have something to tell you." Tyrion said trying to look at the bright side of it, if it had any. "What is it? Tell me that is good news." she said looking at him. "I put in practice a plan to get our brother back. Littlefinger loves Catelyn Stark, so I sent him to Storm's End to talk to her and tell her that, if she releases Jaime, then I'll send Sansa and Arya back to her. I know we don't have Arya, but it had to look convencing. I also sent her the bones of her husband as sign of good will." he explained. "That's a good plan. For us and for Sansa, she really needs to  reunite with her family as much as we need our, given the circunstances. Do you think the King in the North will allow it?" Joanna asked. "I sent Baelish to Catelyn Stark and not to Robb Stark. He can't do anything, even if he wants to, due to his bannerments. She, on the other hand, might be able to do something. Catelyn Stark would do as much for her daughters as Cersei Lannister would do for her children. Make no mistake about that, little sister." Tyrion explained. "I really admire that. It must be wonderfull to have children. I did not loose the hope to have them one day. However, I want to marry for love and father would never allow it. So, I think I will just try to escape it, as I did until now." Joanna said with a giggle. "You can't escape forever, Joanna. You know that, don't you?" Tyrion asked serious. "Jaime escaped marriage for 32 years and he was the heir to the Rock, before the Kingsguard. I think I can beat that record." Joanna said thinking. "When father gets here, he will force every one of us to marry, at least I think he will. I don't want to marry more than you do. You know I love Shae. Besides, he will want you to marry first, because he wants you to be the heir to Casterly Rock, since Jaime took a vow of celibacy." Tyrion said a bit sad. "He can't do that, you are older than me and you are his heir. I'm a girl, so I will have to take my husband name and his lands, although I wouldn't take the Rock anyway. So, he has no choice, it's your right and you will definetively do a much better job than me, you are good at rulling. Besides, I don't think I will ever fall in love and definetively I won't take an arrange marriage." Joanna said seriously. "What about Pod? You love him, don't you?" Tyrion asked confused. "He is my friend. I do feel something between friendship and love, I just don't know what it is. Besides, I don't want to make a mistake, again." she explained. "He is not those knights, but I understand." Tyrion replied and then he raised his cup and said,"To the people we care about and to us, the ones life does not care a damn thing about.". Joanna raised her cup and said, "To us and to a better future." They toasted and then they drank what was left in their cups. "Who do you think father would have marry me with? Just think about it, for fun." Joanna asked with a giggle. "I don't know, Jo. It would have to be someone that could provide a good alliance. Robin Arryn? Theon Greyjoy? One of Walder Frey's many sons or grandsons?" he answered with a giggle. "First, Gods, no, he is a child! Second, ew, he must have been with every woman he came across, if the rumours are to be believed! Third, I'd rather die than marry a Frey!" she said as she thought of the idea of marrying anyone her brother had named.
Then she smiled for herself without any reason. "What is it?" Tyrion asked when he saw her smile. "Nothing, it's just you didn't call me Jo, for years. Where did that came from anyway?" Joanna asked smiling. "Well, firstly, you're a woman now, that's why I don't call you that anymore. And secondly, I think it came from one day, years ago. You were still a baby. Me, Jaime and Cersei, were around your cradle and father had just told us that mother wanted you to have her name. So, we stood there and thought that Joanna was a perfect name for you. Jaime took you in his arms, after I say I wanted to see you, and Cersei was just, I don't know if she was scared or concerned, I just know that she said 'Give her to me, before anything happens.', she panicked when she saw you out of the cradle. In her defense, me and Jaime were always getting into trouble. Jaime put you in her arms and she walked to a bed that was in your room at that time. She sat and me and Jaime went to her, I remember saying 'Joanna, it's us your brothers and sister.', I was excited, of course, I was just 7. Then, Jaime being Jaime, had to say something stupidly funny and he said 'Joanna is a beautifull name, but it is too long. Why do our names have to be impossible to short down?' and it was true, so we started to laugh and you smiled. Then, instantly, we said 'Jo, let's call her Jo.'. And we did until you turned 14, I think. That's were it came from." Tyrion said smiling. "Wow, I wish I could remember it. At least, I have one more good thing to think about when sorrow eventually settles in. Also, I love hearing you tell stories. You can call me Jo, if you want to. But only you, Jaime and, eventually if it has to be, Cersei." Joanna said giggling. She was just so happy to know that. Even angry, she loved her family, however that did not mean that she had to verbalize it, to everyone.
Later, Joanna went to sleep. However, that night she did not dream. It had been a long day and she would not have one more minute of it.
The next day came and Joanna woke with a knock on her door. She put a robe on and went to open it. It was Shae, she let her in, "What happened?" "It's Sansa, they took her to the throne room. Joffrey comanded it. The news were that Robb Stark won a battle against Stafford Lannister. We have to do something, Joanna." Shae said worried. Damn it, uncle. Why do you keep losing?!, Joanna thought for herself. "You're right. Go to my brother and tell him, what happened. Bronn should be with him, if not tell Tyrion to call him, I don't trust Joffrey or the Knigsguard. I am going to dress and I'll meet you in the throne room. Don't worry, she will be allright. She is a though one." Joanna said thinking. "You really think that Joffrey would hurt her and your brother?" she asked concerned. "I don't know what to expect from Joffrey anymore. We will work it out, now go." Joanna said honestly. Then Shae left the room and Joanna dressed herself. She was wearing a red long dresslike tunic, with a small Lannister lion on the chest, and black leather pants. She put on a pair of black boots and combed her hair in a ponytail. She also put Sharp Claw at her waist, hidden inside the tunic, just in case.
When she got to the throne room, Sansa was on her knees crying, her gown was torn apart and Joffrey was smiling on the throne. Joanna put her hand in the hilt of her sword and was about to intervene, when her brother grabed her hand and told her, "Stay here. If you go there, it will be worse for the girl. I'll handle it, trust me." Joanna nodded relutantly and waited, seeing how Tyrion handled the situation the best way possible. When he was done with Joffrey, he helped Sansa and they went back to the door.
As soon as they passed the door, Joanna ran to Sansa, "Are you harmed?".
The girl did not say a thing, she just leaned on her and Joanna suported her and led her to her chambers herself, not knowning if Sansa would be safe in her own chambers with the handmaidens and without Shae, that was nowhere to be seen.
They entered the chambers and Joanna closed the door and led Sansa to the bed. Sansa sat on the bed.
"I think, I have here some clothes for you to change." Joanna said, going to the closet and pulling out a dark purple gown with few small roses embroided in gold. She walked to Sansa and said, "Are you badly hurt? Talk to me, please." "I-I...it's only a few bruises. I'm used to it. It is not the first time." Sansa said painfully. "I'm going to give him a lesson, I don't care if he is the King. He is my nephew, he has to learn how to behave. How does he dare to do that to his future wife?! Stay here, I'll be right back." Joanna said angry. She stood and was heading to the door, when Sansa grabed her wrist, "Don't. Please, stay. Don't get into trouble on my acount. Also, I don't want to be alone...". Joanna turned and said, "Allright. Go change and then we are going to eat something.".
Sansa went to the bathroom to change and Joanna stood there wondering what she could do about Joffrey.
Shae went to meet them some time later. "How is she? Your brother told me to stay inside chambers until it was over." Shae asked worried. "She will be allright. She is strong. However, she is a little shaken. I have to teach him a lesson. He can't get away with it." Joanna said thinking. "Your brother is senting two girls from Littlefinger's brothel to him hopping his anger'll calm down after that." Shae explained. "I hope that works, otherwise I fear for the girls well being. Anyway, I'm going to talk to him. I'm just waiting for Sansa to get better and that you would come to us." Joanna explained.
After some moments, Sansa left the bathroom, wearing the gown that Joanna had borrowed her. They went to have lunch and then back to the room. "Sansa, I promisse you, he will never do that again. I'm going to make sure of it, like I told you I would, when I came here. Stay with Shae. Nobody will hurt you here." Joanna said looking at her. Sansa nodded and then Joanna left to find Joffrey.
She found him in the yard with Tommen and Myrcella.
"Good afternoon to you." Joanna said smilling. Tommen and Myrcella ran to her and gave her a hug. Joffrey just rolled his eyes and asked "What are you doing here, aunt?" "I just want to talk to you. Do you mind I take your brother just for a moment, my sweetlings?" Joanna answered. Tommen and Myrcella nodded and then they went inside.
Joffrey walked to her and said anoyed, "What is it? I don't want to waste my time in you, so just get on with it." "It's about Sansa. She is going to be your wife. You can't treat her, like you did this morning. It's wrong and you won't do it again, it is no way to treat a lady, specially yours. Besides, the girl is not to blame by her family actions. It is not her fault." Joanna said as camly as she could, ignoring the rage inside her. Joffrey laughed and then he grabed her wrist strongly hurting her, however she refused to show it, and he said, "You should be more carefull, my lady aunt. Because I'm the King and a King can do as he likes. So, either you shut your mouth and leave me alone or next time it will be you in her position and I'll make sure uncle isn't there to save you." Joanna released herself from his hand and looked him in the eyes, saying, "You are the one that should be carefull, do something to her again and you will regreted it. You may be the King, but I'm a lioness of Casterly Rock. I don't need saving, because not one of your Kingsguard's members can beat me or even touch me. Think about that, dear nephew." "Why don't you go back to the Rock then? Oh, wait, I know. You're afraid to loose your family. Look around you...you already have. My mother turned her back on you, uncle Tyrion is the Hand of the King and he can't do much anyway, uncle Jaime is being held by the Starks and grandfather keeps loosing battles. You are totally alone, even if you do not admit it. Besides, I will make sure that every one you love is taken away from you sooner or later. And then, when their heads were in the castle walls, I'll take you there to see them. One by one, Sansa Stark, your brothers, Podrick Payne-" he threated her, before she slapped him strongly in the face. The boy immediately took his hand to the his cheek, that was showing a vivid shade of red, by then. "Touch them and you won't live to see another day. I'm not one of your pupets, do you understand me?" she said bitterly, looking at him and putting her hand in the hilt of Sharp Claw showing it to him. The boy was so scared that he nodded and backed away instantly, swalling hard. Joanna nodded him to go and he almost ran away.
Joanna closed her eyes, took a deep breath and counted to 10, to put her mind in place. Normaly, almost no one got on her nerves, however, lately Joffrey and Cersei had done that without an effort.
All of a sudden, she heard footsteps behind her. She turned back rapidly, however it was only Bronn.
"Little cunt's getting on ya nerves, isn't he?" he asked. "Don't call him that, eventhough he is one, I don't think you would like to have your head in a spike." she said seriously. "Well, for what I seen, ya frigthed him pretty much. The lad ran off, lika scared girl." he said with a giggle. "I hope you are right, otherwise I will spend the nigth in the dangeon. I treathed him to death." she said worried. "Don't buy that, ya're a Lannister 'nd ya brother 'nd sister won't allow it. What did he say to ya, anyway?" Bronn asked curious. "He threated the people I care about. I guess, I can't tolerate that. You won't let anything happen to my brother or Pod, will you?" she asked seriously. "Ya brother pay me for doing that and I like the lad, he's a good one." Bronn answered nodding. "Thank you, I have to get going." Joanna said with relief and excusing herself.
When she got to her chambers, she was more calm and less angry. Still, she entered the room and slammed the door.
"Why did you do that? What happened?" Sansa asked concerned. "Nothing, it's just that Joffrey really gets on my nerves sometimes." Joanna answered. "What did he do this time?" Shae asked. "He threated me and the people I cared about, so I lost control and slapped him, threating him to death. The good thing is, I think he is so scared that he won't tell anyone." Joanna explained. "I'm sorry for putting you in this position." Sansa said shyly. "I did this because, I wanted to. He has no right to do what he does. He is my family, so I have to do something about it. For everyone's sake and his own." Joanna said determined. "He won't do anything to you, I mean you are a Lannister. I don't think he'd dare." Shae said. "That I do not know, however I can beat every member of the Kingsguard, and, as soon as my father gets back, I'm off here. So, he can bloody hell try." Joanna explained. "Can you take me to Winterfell, when you leave?" Sansa asked with a giggle. "I can try." Joanna said with a giggle.
The girls stayed in the room all night and eventually fell asleep. However, Joanna did not sleep. She sneaked away during the night to the stables. She took a horse and rode into the woods. She rode and rode and rode, until the she reached a clearing.
Joanna dismounted and tied the horse to a tree.
When Joanna was alone in the Rock, she often took a horse and rode from Casterly Rock to Lannisport during the night, to ease her mind or to breath. Sometimes, she felt that life was struggling with her and the only way to break away from it was to ride away, feeling the winds in her hair, looking at the starry sky, breathing fresh air, in and out. Feeling free.
This time, she left to think. Was she really alone? Had she lost her family already?
He is wrong, he only said that to provoke me. I'm not alone, I have Tyrion and Pod and Sansa, Shae, Bronn, and even Cersei, if I am lucky. Maybe, I should have left or I should never had came in the first place. If I keep riding, I can get to the Rock. Joanna thought for herself while lying in the grass looking at the sky.
'I can't aford to loose you to this war too.' 'You will have to be the strenght of the family.' 'You really grown up, didn't you?' 'I trust you to protect your sister's life, as well as your nephews' and niece's.' 'Jo. Let's call her Jo.' 'I don't want to be alone.' 'He may be the King, but you are a lioness.' 'I'm a lioness of Casterly Rock.' Joanna could not shake those words from her head. They played around and replayed again. She knew they were right. It was so much easier, if they were not. However,it was the reality and she came to the conclusion that she had to face it, liked it or not. "I have to get back, I have a duty to do, an oath to keep and people to protect. The Rock will have to wait. I'm going to fufill my promise and then I'm going to get Jaime back home. Only then, I can returned to Casterly Rock or elsewhere..." she said out loud to herself. Then she rode back to the Red Keep. During the journey, Joanna remembered what she had heard or read, about her mother and her father, some years ago: 'Many people said that Lord Tywin Lannister ruled the Seven Kingdoms, but Lady Joanna ruled Lord Tywin.'
Joanna often wondered if she really was exactly like her mother, however she never asked, afraid of what the answer might be, despite what people said. The only thing she knew was that she had to honor her name.