Journey

After some time riding into the night, Joanna had to stop for a few hours to sleep. She tied the horse to a tree and then made a fire. It was the first time that she had to go on a mission by herself, no soldiers, just her. She could not bring Lannister soldiers with her, because she had to move quickly and without atract too much atention, however she knew that she would have to stop some days later at an inn to change clothes and have a bath, before reaching Harrenhal.
She slept for a few hours and then she returned to her journey.
During her journey, Joanna had done a lot of thinking. She did not leave KingsLanding with her mind in peace. She left with some concerns. The majority of the time she spent deep in her thoughts, althought still alert to danger. The time ran more quickly this way and there was no one near that could judge her, only she could judge her own mind.
What if I never see Myrcella again? Maybe I could go to Dorne, someday to visit her. I hope that she likes the prince, it is so much better to marry someone you love than some stranger... Not that I know something about that. She will be safe, that's what's most important, Joanna had thought. She felt bad for leaving Myrcella and, for some reason, she had the feeling it was her last moment with her niece. That saddened her. Then her thoughts went to her sister and Joffrey. She is not the person I grew up with, not anymore. I can still see it, deep in her eyes, but she will never let it out. I guess she reached her point, at some time. Still, she was so happy and warm when I was little and now she is cold and cruel. She was always a little mean, but never this much. What happened?! I want to forgive her, but I can't. Every time I try, she does something even worst. I miss her, the real her. Perphaps someday I will see her again. And Joffrey, he was so quiet when he was younger. I never thought he would became this...and not even his mother can't put him in check. Maybe Sansa will overpower him, when they marry. She is a wolf as much as I'm a lioness. She will do something, when the time comes. Joanna had thought. When she remembered her childhood days at KingsLanding, relizing how it all had changed so quickly. At 14, she was with Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei and the kids, they were all happy, even the life at court was not so bad, she could fight some of the highlords at her practice sometimes, no one could say no to the Queen at that time and Joanna was always very presuasive to get what she wanted, if she had to be. Once she defeated Renly Baratheon. He went to practice convinced that he would win easily. He  was wrong. Sometime later, she defeated the Knight of the Flowers, of course she was two years older than him, however he was suposed to be better than her or that was what the tales told.
Then she returned to the Rock, soon she was 17 and everything was different. No one was toghether and the war was installed in the realm, the people she once knew, by then, were strangers to her. The ones she had seen grow up, adquired new personalities. It was a whole new world and she was a stranger. Joanna, sometimes, wondered if it was always this way and if somehow she never saw it for how it was until then.
In the middle of the mists of thoughts that were passing trough her mind, only one thing was constant: I have to get to Harrenhal as soon as possible. I can't fail Tyrion. If the battles comes early, we are doomed.
What she was more concerned about was the fact that the war was at the gates of the city and it was uncertain at what time the King at Dragonstone would strike. It could be at any moment. Joanna knew that her brother could manage, he was the smartest person that she knew, however Joffrey would make things difficult and he would be alone. Thus, she had to get her father or the Lannister army one way or another.
After some days riding, Joanna finally found an inn where she could rest, for the night. She was only two days away from Harrenhal, due to the fact that she came almost the entire journey riding as fast as she could not to loose time.
Joanna led the horse to the stables and then cover her armour with her cloak. No one could know who she was, if there was some northmen nearby, they could take her as they had took Jaime, eventhough part of her did not mind that happening, in order for her to help her brother, the other part of her knew that she could not risk it, right then Tyrion was the one who was counting on her. She had to help him and then she could help Jaime. I wish I could go help you, right now, brother. But, I can't. Tyrion is counting on me to win this war. I'll have to wait until the right moment, Joanna thought several times for herself, although she knew that her brother could not hear her, she liked to imagine he could. The worst feeling of all for Joanna was when she let people down. She may had come to terms that she could not go to the North, however that did not mean she liked it or she no longer felt bad about it.
Then Joanna entered the inn and went to ask for a room for the night, masking her highborn accent a bit, "Good evening. I need a room for tonight, do you have any avaliable?" "Good evening, m'lady. There is a room avaliable upstairs. Anything more I can do for you, lady..." the innkeeper answered questioning her name. "Alyssa Hawthorne. Thank you, can you provide some towels as well and a hot meal." Joanna said the first name that came to her mind. The only thing she knew about house Hawthorne was the fact that it belonged to the Westerlands and that it was bannerment to Casterly Rock. "Of course, lady Hawthorne. The towels will be in your room and the meals will be serve later." the innkeeper said ending the conversation and Joanna went upstairs to her room.
Once inside the room, she undressed and went to take a bath. Every part of her body hurted, due to the intense riding. She was used to ride, however never so fast or for so much time. She was also nervous, because it was the first time she had to be in an inn by herself. The other times she was always with her father or some other person she trustted. There was a time, when Joanna was 10, that her father had to attend a politic matter at The Twins and he decided to take her with him, for her to see more of the other lands in Westeros. Her uncle Kevan, her father's brother,  had gone as well and he took his eldest son Lancel, who was 7 at the time, with him. People said that Lancel looked a lot like Jaime, however Joanna never thought he did and was always suprised when people made such coments. During that visit to The Twins, they had to stop at an inn. Her father had odered a room only for her, however that night she was awoke by a knock on the door, it was her cousin. He was merely a child at the time and he could not sleep because it was the first time he was so far away from home, so he asked her for help, knowing that his father and her father would think that the situation was patetic. Joanna had only seen him once or twice, when her uncle visited the Rock, they used to play in the garden, however she knew the feeling of sleeping away from home, so she let him in and told him that everything would be allright and that they were safe, some time later the boy was able to sleep, although he did not return to his room that night. The problem was that in the morning, when her father found out, he warned her to never allow anyone in her room again at night, however she stood her ground saying that she was only helping her cousin and she did not regret it, also promising that it would never happen again, anyway. Despite her father being angry with her, Joanna could see that he was also proud for her to be able to take care of her cousin and for her standing her ground when he talked to her about it. The sad part was that after that, the next time she saw Lancel, he was nothing like the 7-year-old kid she knew, he was arrogant and consider himself better than anyone. By the current time, Joanna no longer felt sympathy for the boy, not after he admitted what he and Cersei had been doing.
After the bath, she put on fresh clothes that she had brought with her. She was wearing a brown leather tunic and a black pair of pants, with a black pair of boots. After resting a few minutes, Joanna made her way down to eat something.
She took a sit at a table that was empty and a few moments later a girl served her food and some hale. She ate in silence, alone with her thoughts once more. Thank Gods, nobody is here to anoy me over the hale. Eventhough it wouldn't make much diference, I'm almost 18, Joanna thought smiling for herself. In a few days to come, it would be her name day and she would turn 18.
All of sudden, she saw a few Lannister soldiers entering the inn's common room. They sat at the table behind her and luckly they did not recognise her. Joanna sighed with relief and tried to hear their conversation, to find out news.
"My cousin told me that, the King and his party were atacked in the streets at the capital, after the goodbeye to the Princess." one man said, Joanna's heart skiped a beat. What?! I left for four days and all goes to shit! I hope everyone is allright. she thought to herself. Then relief come to her sight when she heard another man said, "Yeah, but no one of the royal family got hurt, for what I heard." Then almost immediately a younger man said,"But, they also said that Tywin's youngest daughter left the city alone in the night before and I don't believe it. The girl must be no more than 14, she would not last a day out there, even if she knows how to use a sword as they said she does, which is impossible." Then the man started to laugh. I am 17, not 14, first of all! Second, I can very well take care of myself! And , last but not least, I could beat the shit out of you, right now! Joanna thought to herself angry. She knew that she would never be taken serious as a swordswoman by everyone, still she felt that it was unfair.
The worst news came after, when the first man said, "I'd rather not go to Harrenhal, it is said that they tried to kill Lord Tywin and The Mountain wants to find out who did it. If I were him, I'd left that place immediately."
Instantly, Joanna knew that she had to leave at dawn. If she wanted to get to her father on time.
Due to that, she went upstairs, in order to, get some sleep.
Joanna layed on the bed staring at the ceiling and trying to sleep, however she was too anxious and worried to sleep. She did not know what exactly had happened in KingsLanding during the riot and the idea of anyone getting hurt scared her. The men had comfirmed that no one of the royal family had gotten hurt ...And the others? Did any of her friends got hurt? Suddenly, the only thing that was on her mind was Pod. Did Pod get hurt? Is he allright? I hope he is. Please, gods be good. Joanna thought to herself. The idea of him getting hurt made her heart beat faster and even skip a beat sometimes. She was always so nervous around him, her heart beating faster than ever,  beguining to troumble and panick. It was as if  they were the only two persons in the world. When they looked at each other none of them couldn't help smilling .  Joanna did not know what this meant. Why I always get this way around him? He is my friend, but it's different. When he came to me that day after the situation with Joffrey, he was the first to be there for me. I remember I just had to hug him and he didn't push me away or anything, he hugged me too. And when I said goodeye to him days ago, I didn't want to. But, I had to see him, before I went away. And when Joffrey started saying the names, I wanted to let him finish to see how far he went, but he said his name and...and...I lost it. I totally lost it! I slapped him...I slapped the King right in the face! I couldn't control it. Why am I so worried? He is just my friend. I didn't felt like this since...since Damon, the stables boy. Do I love him? I think, I wouldn't know even if I did. Anyway, he's probably safe. Bronn said he would keep him safe, Joanna thought to herself, confused. In the middle of her wondering, sleep finally came and she eventually fell asleep.
The dawn came and Joanna was ready to go. She payed the stay at the inn and then mounted her horse and headed to Harrenhal as fast as she could. During the way, the only things she could think about was the battle and Podrick. She wondered if Stannis had striked yet, she hoped he hadn't or if she would ever see Pod again, after the war. Will they be able to see the Wall someday, like they had planned?
The time almost flew and when she noticed, after riding throught big rodes, small rodes, valeys and moutains, waterfalls and countless trees, she had finaly arrived at Harrenhal.
Joanna entered through the gates, dismounted the horse and took off her cloak, leaving her Lannister armour at sight.
A man came to her and asked, "Excuse me, my lady. May I ask you, why are you here? This is Lord Tywin property." "Good. Can you take me to him, please? I need to talk with him." Joanna said politely and urgently. "I don't even know who you are. How can I take you to him, in this circunstances, my lady?" He said, suprised. "I'm Joanna Lannister. I'm his daughter and I really need to talk with my father." she explained softly. The man nodded surprised and took her to her father chambers. The door was shut, because he was having a meeting. However, this could not wait. She knocked on the door and heard her father say, "Come in.".
Joanna opened the door and saw the surprised looks on everyones faces. "Good afternoon, my lords. I hope I'm not interupting an important meeting. But, I really need to have a word with my lord father, if you would allow me to." she said politely. Her father looked at her with confusion and concern in his eyes and then said raising his hand to the door, "My lords, if you wouldn't mind. We ride for KingsLanding today. Go get everything ready, while I talk with my daughter." Joanna was very relief for hearing that, they may have a chance after all. Everyone left, one by one, the last one was her uncle Kevan, he put a hand on her shoulder and said, "Good to see you again, Joanna. The armour looks good on you." "Thank you, uncle. Good to see you too." she replied softly and nodding. They always had a good relationship. He was a good man and was always there for his family, Joanna admired that very much.
When she and her father were alone in the room. Tywin took a sit at the table and made a gesture for her to sit at his side. She did and after that, a little girl served both of them wine. When the girl was serving her cup, her father said softly, "Only half cup, girl. She is only 17." The girl nodded and obeyed. "I am going to be 18 soon, father." Joanna said incredulously. And I drank a whole mug of hale, two days ago, she thought to herself. "Why are you here?" her father said severely. "We need your help. Tyrion sent me to get the army or to convince you to join the battle of Blackwater Bay. I see that I don't have to convince you to do that anymore." Joanna explained. "Why did your brother send you and not other person?" Tywin asked confused. "Because, I am the only one he trusts. And because, we are totaly alone to face the battle. Joffrey won't be leading the army, because he is a coward. And even if, he wants to, Cersei won't allow it. Given that fact and considering none of the soldiers will listen to me or to Tyrion,  we are disarmed, the only chance was to get to you in time. Which I hope, I did." Joanna explained. "Yes, you did. Like you've heard, we are going to the capital today. So, get yourself ready." Tywin said softly. "Are you unharm? I hear someone tried to kill you." Joanna said reaching for his hand that rested at the table. "I am allright. No one succed in killing me. The Mountain is to remain here, shearching for the responsible." her father answered. "Good. I should go get ready." Joanna said standing. "Joanna." Tywin said standing too. She looked at him waiting for the question. "Did you came here by yourself?" he asked concerned. "I did." she nodded. He put a hand on her cheek and asked concerned, "Did anything happen to you? Are you allright?" "I'm allright, father. You know, I can take care of myself." Joanna answered softly. Her father gave her a little kiss in the forehead and then let her go.
Joanna went to get ready to make the journey back and eventually help in the battle. It was not sunset yet, when they left through the gates. When she was passing through the gates, she saw the girl that was at her father's quarters and remembered that she was the girl of that day in the Sept of
Baelor. She looked at her and said blinking, "You're a long way from home, little one. Be carefull and good luck." The girl nodded in acknowledge and Joanna turned and resume her journey to KingsLanding.