Unfortunate Events

Joanna had been riding into the woods and through the night, for a long time. The crying had stopped at some point and, by then, she only felt tired and sad, even if determined. When she stopped she made a fire and checked the route. She was in the right way, only some more miles in the woods and she would be near Maidenpool. From there she would try to reach The Twins. Joanna just had to keep the maps close and follow the route, soon she would be in the North and from there she would beguin the research for her brother. He can't have passed The Twins, he doesn't have help and he was in captivity for almost a year, so he must be in the North still, if Gods be good, Joanna had thought while tracing the route. Near the firepit, she ate something she had brought, however she knew that once the food went out, she would have to begin to hunt for rabbits at some point. She could still feel the softness of Podrick's lips on hers. It had been a brief moment, however it tasted more sweet than honey had ever tasted. If Joanna could and if she was not so angry with him still, she would have stayed and kissed him again, this time for real. After Joanna heard what he said and took the words in, her mind went blank. She could not believe it, no one besides her family worried that much about her. She had had friends in the Rock, of course, still none of them gave a damn if she was allright, all the times that she had locked herself inside the castle. Tyrion was right, he is not like that other stupid boys, Joanna had thought, and then cursed herself for it. Although Joanna would be the last one to admit it, the moment gave her hope that someday they could still work it out, that someday they could have a happy ending toghether. Feeling childish and foolish about her romantic thoughts and angry at herself for melting down for sweet words, she buried that hope in the deepest corner of her mind and heart. However, she knew that it would come to the surface again, still she did not need that thought at that moment. I need to focus, right now, Joanna thought, trying to get her mind off the kiss.
After a few hours of rest, Joanna returned to her journey. At least, the fact that she did not sleep much during these days had a bright side, that way she could moove faster. She mounted the horse and rode through the woods. The woods were quiet, only birds singing, water running and winds rising were heard. The summer was ending and all this quietness would soon be joined by the silence of dead people who did not have means to survive the winter. Joanna knew and hated it was that way. She liked the peace it inspired, though. She could use some by then. It could pass a thousand years, with hundreds of summers and winters, wars and peaces, thousands generations and Joanna would still be amazed by the beauty of the nature around her. The green of the grass with the brown of mud. The tall oaks and chestnuts, some of them as old as the First Men, their logs all opened and beautifull still... The waterfalls, between the rocks, some higher as the sky and others one simple current of water. The countless number of flowers with mores colors than a person could imagine. The sound of birds singing and flying high above in the sky. The smell, that was the best part, the smell of the moisty earth and plants, Joanna often wondered if, in the North, the smells would be increased by the fireplaces in the households. Joanna loved the scenario, it calmed her down and made her feel like the world was a beautifull place again, without any people to ruin it over selfish wishes. The freedom she felt riding through woods or by the sea side, when she was a child, was the best feeling of all for her, the feeling that she could be who ever she wanted without worries or duties or fights and disanpointments. The only thing missing was someone beside her to share it with. I doubt someone would understand what this is, without doing it, Joanna thought sighing. Some feelings people only knew if they experienced it, that was what Joanna thought in situations like these.
Sometimes she would acelarate the pass, just to feel the wind in her face, others she would slow down to relax a bit and for the horse be able to bear the journey.
Two days passed by and the journey had gone well that far... acording to
her calculations she would be near Maidenpool by then. Joanna stopped to spent the night. She wondered where Jaime was, could Tyrion be right, could he have reached KingsLanding by then? Still, I have to try. Besides, if he arrives at the capital the word will spred so fast that, I'll know without even asking, Joanna thought. She knew that rumours were the fastest things to be spred. Then her thoughts went back to the capital. She hoped that her brother was allright, she knew Tyrion could handle their father better than any of them, still her father was the wrong man to be defied, even if he deserved it. However, he respected honor and courage, which was the reason each of them escaped his wrath sometimes. Still, only me and Cersei have that luck more often, he was always more severe with Tyrion and Jaime, Joanna thought remembering her childhood days. Joanna often wondered if she had escaped the wrath of her father too many times in compararison to her siblings. The thought that it might be truth made her feel sick, it was not fair, even more so because she was the one who was doing nothing for the family, at least in what family duty was concerned. Then she wondered whether Sansa had gotten married yet and to whom. She hoped the man would be a decent and proper lord, that would do her no harm. The girl had suffered enough at Joffrey's hands, she doesn't need more of that, Joanna thought sadly.
After shortly seconds of wonder, her thoughts changed their course again. Then on her mind was only Pod. WHY? Why am I thinking about him again? It's not like I'll ever get to see him again. I will help Jaime returning to KingsLanding and then I'll go away again. I'll go North, or South or even to the Free Cities. I'm not going to the capital again or the Rock. Once I see my family reunited and safe, I'm off there. If I stay, it will be worse for them, this way the three of them are toghether and safe and I will be exploring the world. Without them it won't be worthy...but if I stay what will I do? I don't have a place there, Cersei is Queen, Tyrion is master of coin and heir to Casterly Rock and Jaime is a member of the Kingsguard. My duty was to marry a highlord to form an alliance, that will never happen, so which would be my place there?, Joanna thought sadly. I could run away with Pod, if he agrees to, Joanna thought to herself sarchasticaly, however deep down she still meant it.
Part of her was telling her that she could just ask Pod and then they would run away toghether, another was telling her that her place was with her brothers and sister, that there would always be a place for her at the Rock.
However, she felt that it was impossible, she would probably never see Pod again and, if she stayed, she would be a burden for her family. Of course, I will come back from time to time to see them, I just won't be there always, Joanna thought to herself, trying to find some comfort. She wished Pod was there, just so she could hug him like she did the day Joffrey stole Sharp Claw. In her heart, she had already forgiven him, she knew that. Although, her mind refused to accept it and so did her. It still hurted a bit. When you love someone, you can't be angry at him for long, Joanna suposed, yielding, still she would be the last person to said it out loud.
The night was calm, however Joanna woke up to the sound of dogs barking and soldiers shouting. Instantly, Joanna got up and lead the horse silently to the edge of the woods, she saw a flag, a golden lion in crimson field. Lannisters soldiers, fuck! My father must have sent them, Joanna thought. Then she saw the dogs barking, heading to where she was and soldiers following them. Instinctively, she turned away and climbed on her horse, riding away as fast as she could. Joanna could hear the sound of the dogs and the soldiers coming closer. The wind was strong and swinged against her so fast that it seemed to cut. She rode as fast as the animal could. However, it did not seem to be enough for many miles. After some time and some more miles, the sounds disapeared and calmness return again. She did not know where she was, she had to take a detour and by then she had no idea to where the detour had gotten her. The only thing she knew was that she could not turn back. Therefore, she tried to slow down the pace, however it did not seem to be working. The horse was galloping incredible fast and nothing she did seemed to calm him dow, only increased the speed. Then all of sudden, the horse stopped abruptly, raising his front legs, sending her behind and falling in the ground. Then the horse ran away. The fall was hard and Joanna hitted her head in a rock, which rendeded her unconscient almost the whole morning.
When Joanna woke up, it was painfully for her body, mind and pride. Her head hurted as if it had been rang like a bell, it even seemed to sound like it. The rest of her body hurted, however it was bearable. Knocked down by a horse. Great!, Joanna thought. She rode since she was 5 and not once had she fallen until then, so her pride was a bit hurt as well. Joanna tried to stand without sucess, so she thought it was for the best to stay sit some more time. Until her head stoped spining, at least. I have to moove, I can't stay here, Joanna thought to herself and then tried to get up again. This time she could do it, even without the right balance. Only when she got up, did she notice that her horse was no where to be seen. Fantastic! How do I get anywhere now?, Joanna thought angry. She wanted to cry or yell, she did not know.
Joanna was lost, she did not have maps, food or horse. She looked around and saw that she was in a cleary. Then she looked up to try to find which way was North, by the position of the sun. After some time, looking around and remembering all the lessons about orientation and geography she had had when she was young, she moved North or, at least, what she was almost sure it was North. Joanna walked and walked, until she had to stop. She could not go any futher. The fall must have caused some injury to her leg, because it hurted badly. When she began to walk, she did not notice the leg, because of how bad her head hurted, only after some time walking did the pain started to bother her. Joanna did not dare to look at her leg, or else she might start to panick over it and everything would became worse than it already was. Besides she could still fight if she had to and that was what was important. Joanna spent the begining of the night in clear, thinking about what she could do. I have two options, or go this way and hope that I came to stop near some fortress or go back...allright I have one option. Keep this way and suck with the pain. It can't hurt for much longer, Joanna thought. She was hungry and there was no food or strenght to go after food. Someone must have found the horse by now. Lucky for them and lucky for me that it didn't was with any sigils. Or else, I'd be doomed. If the soldiers come back, I can't run away for long, I must be near Harrenhal, I think, Joanna thought. Then she eventually fell asleep. The sleeping did not last long. Because, as soon as the sun came, she heard horses. Joanna looked around to see if there was anyone and no one was there to be seen. She decided that she had to move futher, even with the pain.
Joanna had been walking through the woods for days and nights, she managed to catch a rabbit or two, however she did not know how that had happened. The only thing she knew was the instint that drived her to keep moving, she could not stop or else she risked being caught. The pain seemed to ease, at some point, or rather she became used to it, still it hurted badly if pushed.
Then one day, she woke up at to the sound of men talking and horses galloping, Joanna got up immediately. I have to run, Joanna thought, however she could not run for long with her leg still hurting and the horses would catch her in a heartbeat, therefore she tried to hear, Six men, I can't take six, not with this leg, Joanna thought. Then she hid and the men came. Bolton standarts, the flayed man, Joanna thought. The men where searching the ground to make a camp, if they did, she could not get away. I have to see where I am. Gods be good! Joanna thought and then she showed from behind them. "Oh gods. My lords, could you tell me where I am? I lost everything to the war." Joanna said almost faking a crying. I really am a terrible liar, what was I thinking?!, Joanna thought when the men were looking at her suspiciously. "What is a lady like you doing here?" asked the one who seemed to lead the party. "My husband, he...told me to run. So I did. Now, I'm lost. Please help me!" Joanna said as if in despair. Allrigth, or I got much better in lying or these guys are more stupid than I thought, she thought. "That's a nice sword you got there." other man said smilling. "It was my husband's. It's the last thing I have from him, it-it...makes me feel save. I don't know how to use it." Joanna said with a low tone of voice. "Locke, can we have our fun with her, before going back?" the same man said with a devilish smile. The only fun you're going to have is the fun of a valyrian steel sword in your gut, Joanna thought angry. "Not this time. Let's bring her to Ramsay. He likes them young." the man called Locke said. "Ramsay left to the North." another said. "So, let's take her to the bear. Until he comes back." Locke said. Did you just said bear?! Why do I have these ideas sometimes?!, Joanna thought. Joanna just looked at them with confusion. "My lady, if you'd join us. We are making a fire." Locke said. "Oh gods. Thank you so much, my lords." Joanna said sounding relief. She did not have any other option.
Then the men did made a fire and sat all around it, Joanna sat with them always alert. They had took her sword, she could not do anything about it, she tried to cry and scream saying it was 'her husband's' sword, it did not work and she could not fight or she would be discovered. Still they said they would give it to her tomorrow, she did not believe it, though.
However, Joanna still had the dagger. "Remember the last time we were in these woods, lads." a man said laughing. "How could I forget? He screamed like a girl." Locke said laughing. Who are they talking about?, Joanna thought ,confused . "I wasn't here. Who the fuck are you talking about?" a younger man asked. "The Kingslayer, you idiot." Locke said laughing. What the fuck did you do to my brother?!, Joanna thought angry, closing her hand in a fist discretely. "Why did he scream?" the young man asked. "I cut his hand off, his sword hand." Locke said laughing. You cut what?! I'm going to fucking kill you!, Joanna thought, furiouse. She could killed them right there, if she did not need them. "You cut off Jaime Lannister's sword hand?" Joanna asked bitterly before she could stop herself. "I did. He screamed. It was a pretty sight. The Lion of Lannister maimed by me." Locke said laughing loudly. None of the men seemed to notice the hate in Joanna's eyes. "It still didn't beat what happened to the Starks. Mudered at a wedding. Tywin Lannister must have got a little rust at ideias." the other man said. Then all started laughing. Joanna did not laugh, although no one seemed to notice. My father slaugther another house? At a wedding? Sansa's house. The rains of castmere, again. That's- that's beyond cruel, in the battlefield is one thing, but in a wedding that's other, Joanna thought in shock. Then she decided to put that part toghether with all the others horrific things that were done in the name of her house. She was worried about her brother. At least, she knew that he was safe, if not back at KingsLanding by then or else her father would not have made a move.
After some small talk of the men, someone started to sing. The song was The Bear and The Maiden Fair. That is the worst song possible ever to be made, Joanna thought, tyring not to roll her eyes. She simply did not like the song, the lyrics and story was stupid and cruel, that was what she thought.
Then they went to sleep. Joanna did not sleep. She stayed up all night, wondering if she would kill them there or not, she could reach for her sword and cut theirs troats without even making a sound. If I kill them, I will never be able to get anywhere. I have to get to Harrenhal at least, Joanna thought. She still reached for her sword and kept it beside her. I hope Jaime is allright. And that someone has conviced him not  to kill himself...Someone probably did that already, if he is alive, Joanna thought, she knew that, for a knigth or soldier or warrior, loosing the part that earned him that name was the worst thing possible, even compared to his life. Joanna did not know what she would do if she could not wield a sword anymore. However, Joanna knew that her brother could learn to use his left hand, if he wanted to, which she was almost sure he did. Father must be so angry. The eldest daughter has lost her mind, the younger ran away...The eldest son was maimed and the younger is succeding in life, which is the last thing Tywin Lannister wants. We're a pretty hot mess family, there is no question about that. Mother, please if you're hearing me, how do we get out of this one?, Joanna thought sighing. She did not believe in gods, old or new, fire or drowned, any type. Although, she believed that her mother could hear their prayers, if they were lucky. So, every time she was in trouble or in despair, she would talk to her mother. Most of the times, it worked.

A/N: Hi! I just want to say that I'll be starting school and because of that I won't be able to update with so much frequency. I hope you are enjoying the story.