The Battle for The Dawn

The night was so dark, it was impossible to see. The clouds covered the sky and the wind blew strong and blistering cold. The sky was black without any stars, the only light were the fires across the castle and the light that was burning in the hearts of the people, were it fear or love or determination or a bit of everything. Their hearts and their minds were the only way out of the darkness of the night, however in every face, what was seen was seriousness and fear of the unknown.
Joanna and Podrick left the room and went to the yard almost running. In the yard, they met Brienne and Jaime. "They're here?" Joanna asked. "They're coming closer." Brienne answered. "The order was to go to the positions of battle." Jaime said. "Is everyone in the crypt, already?" Podrick asked. "Only Tyrion and Sansa are out." Jaime answered. "Daenerys and Jon?" Joanna asked. "They are already with the dragons." Brienne answered. Then they went to take their place in the left flank. Everyone was in position, the people who could not fight were on the crypts, inside the yard of the castle were the northmen, the achers were on the walls, the Iron Born were at the Godswood with Bran, the Unsulied were on the front of the castle, the Night's and East Watch and the Widlings were on the right flank, they were on the left flank with the Knights of the Vale, the Dothraki on horse were in front of them all and the dragons were flying high in the night sky. What was worst was that it was all so silence that it seemed as if the place was empty. Then all of sudden, the arahks of the Dothraki caught fire, all of them and there was light again, as if it was a sea of burning flames. It was bright, it was fire, it was light. Joanna could not believe it, still the only thing that came to her mind was, The Lord of the Light. The Dothraki were cheering loudly. Joanna knew that it was a good thing, however for her it could not be that easy. It never is, Joanna thought. The horse lords began to race into the night, the only thing that was seen were the arahks in flames. They mooved like a wave into the darkness, Ser Jorah was leading them, Ghost, Jon's direwolf, was with him. The catapults began to fire as well, massive stones on fire. They went into the darkness and were never seen again. Howls begun to be heard and suddlenly there was a pack of direwolves there. No one knew where they came from or why they were helping, however Ghost and another female wolf with grey fur and dark golden eyes were leading them.
The wait was killing her, it was all so uncertain and it could all change so fast in a minute. Her heart was pounding in her chest and in her head, she was nervous and she was afraid, however to her fear was a good thing, Fear is what keeps us alive, Joanna thought for the milionth time to herself. The ansiety was rising and the fear was as well, becoming almost impossible to bear. Podrick looked at Joanna and took her hand and said, "I love you. Don't die." Joanna kissed him deeply and then said, "I love you too. Don't die either." Their hands were locked in each other. Brienne and Jaime looked at each other too, however in their case their eyes spoke for them.
Then, all of sudden, the lights began to be put out and then it all disappeared as it had appeared without an explaination or a visible reason to it. It just happened. After sometime, the sounds stopped and they all came back running fast, men, horses, wolves, all of them. Joanna got a glimpse of Jorah and the expression in his face was one of a petryfied look. It's death, we're fighting against death, Joanna thought restless.
The sounds of the enemy were coming closer and closer. The army was coming and they could not see anything. It was all black. But they were coming and coming, several people were atempting to escape and some of them did. Joanna had Sharp Claw in her left hand and held it thightly. She and Pod were still holding hands, however they looked at each other again and, relutantly, they unlocked their hands and took them to their swords instead. The screams of the dead were becoming louder and louder and closer and closer. The men, some of them held their position others were trying to escape, so Brienne yelled, "Stand the ground!" They did and then all of sudden, it came. Running and screaming and pushing and fighting to them, against them. They fought as they yelled, it did not appear to be working, several people began to fall and they had to save each other multiple times. They fought and fought, with every breath they took, with every inch of their bodys, with every bit of their heart and soul. The dead were too many, they were trying to held them, but they were too many, too many to kill, too many to defeat, too many to stop. Then Drogon and Raeghal began to bring fire upon them, it helped, the light came again, still they were too many and they did not mind to be killed unlike them, they did not fight to survive they fight to one goal, destroy the realm of men, they would go straight to the swords without even complaining. The humans were at disadvantage... the screams were louder, the smell was worst, the fear was unbearable. Joanna's mind was blank, the only thing in it was the instint to fight and to survive, to protect and to defend, to attack and to kill those things. She would fight until her last breath, if that meant that the world was save and the dead were defeated. Until dawn, she would fight and at dawn, after the death and sacrifice, they would live and the dead would die again, for real this time. Joanna hoped to see the dawn, however first they had to get there.
Then there was fog everywhere, it came from nowhere too. The dragons disappeared in the sky. It became almost impossible to see, even more than it already was, still none of them stopped fighting, because everybody knew that if they did, it would be their ruin.
After some time, the battle reached it's peek, they had to fall back, every comander began to shout, "Fall back! Fall back!" All of the people and animals began to do that. Joanna had to look around several times to gain the notion of where she was and of where was her family and friends. After making sure, everything was in place and everyone was going inside, she went too. From inside the castle, the comanders began to shout, "Open the gates!" The gates opened and people began to enter as fast as they could. The calls for the retreat continued and the Unsulied were protecting it, as they too were falling back. The achers started to fire arrows to protect the retreat as well, thounsands of arrows flew, still there were not enough to stop the dead.
In the ground, Jaime, Brienne and Joanna were overseeing the retreat telling comands such as, "Come on!" and "Go!", while the soldiers were entering through the gates. Once almost everyone was inside and the dead were coming too close, then began to be heard shouts saying, "Protect the gates!" The northmen came into the fight, protecting the gates and helping getting the rest of the people inside. The only people left were the Unsulied, then Grey Worm had to say, "Light the trench!" Once the passage had to be cut. Because, it was their only chance to keep the dead at bay. Ser Davos made the sign with the torchs, however there was no answer. Not from Jon, not from Daenerys. With the fog and smoke it was impossible to see and the trenchs were impossible to lit with only arrows fired. The wind was putting out every flame that lighted from them. Inside the castle everything was a mess, a multitude of people and fear and blood. The scenario was terrifying. There were men coming to get torchs to try to lit the trenchs, but none of them could get there without being caught.
Then the Unsulied and the men of the East-Watch got a way of getting Melisandre to the trenchs, the archers arrows never stopped flying while she made a spell to lit it up, it took some time and they were begining to think it was the end. Joanna wanted to go help them, however if those things came into the castle, she had to be there. Then all of sudden it all lit up, all of it on fire. The wights were burning in it.
In the crypts, there was some calmness and ansiety. People were worried about what was happening out there and they had began to wonder if there was anyhting they could do to help, however it was none. Still, in the middle of that Tyrion and Sansa managed to talk about the old times and make peace. For Sansa, it would not work still for between them were his divided loyalties. Tyrion was determined to prove her wrong. His loyalty might be devided, however his love was hers and hers alone. If anyone came between that, then it would be a problem.
The Godswood was calm as well, they knew that the trench had been lit. However, there was only wind there. The ravens, that were there, went to the battlefield to help.
In the yard, there was calmness and Joanna did not like it, not even a bit, "This isn't good." she said. "We have to wait now." Brienne said. I've never like to wait, Joanna thought.
Then the wights began to entered the trenchs, few of each time at first and then all of them, they started to use each other as bridges and began to manage to pass it, even with the fire. Then Davos began to shout, "Man to the walls!" The wights broke through the fire trenchs and were coming. This is why I don't like to wait, Joanna thought.
Then they all got inside the castle walls, "Come on!" Jaime said. They followed him. Joanna and Brienne stood a bit behind to make sure all the people entered, "Go!" Brienne said. "Come on! We have to go!" Joanna said and then they went to the walls as well.
When they got to the top of the castle walls, it was a chaos. Almost no one was seeing things through. Joanna got a glimpse of Podrick and realized he was freaking out, therefore she went to him, "Pod." Joanna said and he did not seem to hear her. Joanna put a hand on his shoulder and he turned to her, "Pod, are you allright?" Joanna asked him. He just looked at her without saying anything. She took her hand to his cheek, looked him in the eyes and said, "Focus on my voice. Are you hearing me, love?" He nodded. "Fight. No matter how bad it is around you, just fight and never stop. Allright?" Joanna asked. "Allright." Pod said.
When everyone was there, they looked down and it was dust and smoke everywhere. The wights were trying to climb it and at first the hope rose, however then they started to climb each other and they were making it to the top. "Hold!" Jaime yelled. They were all in the walls ready for them to arrive on top and then they finally did. Joanna pushed them away with Sharp Claw as they came to the top, so did the rest of them. "Come on!" Jaime yelled. They all held them, still they were too many and they were outnumbered. They started to breach the walls and entering the castle. They fought and fought, killing them. They started to have to save each other. The scenario was beyond scary, the screams were loudly from each part and the smoke and dust in air were almost unbreathable. Still, they fought and fought. At some point, Jaime was being caught by wights however Brienne saved him and they began to fight back to back.
Joanna was trying to hold the wall, however the fence form broke behind her. They were coming and they had to go to the ground somehow. Pod was fighting beside her. "Come on! Back to back, we have to get to the ground." Joanna said louldly to him. Then somehow, they managed to stay back to back. They were still coming and it was becoming impossible to be up there. "We won't make it!" Pod said loudly. "I don't intend for us to die tonight, so shut up and fight, Payne!" Joanna said with the same tone. "Jump!" Joanna said and then took his hand and they jump to the ground. "Come on!" Pod said and they started to fight the wights that had entered the castle and were already in the yard, That's what I'm talking about, Joanna thought.
In the walls, were only Arya (that was fighting better than anyone in there), Beric and The Hound. It was hard to fight up there, however they were managing.
Then a giant entered through the gates and started to push everyone. "Come on!" Joanna said and then they all docked to one side. Then suddenly Lyanna Mormont managed to defeat it and died doing it. The rest were still fighting the wights and had to almost fall back to inside the castle.
Then the dragons began to fight in the sky against Viserion, that, by then, was the Night King's dragon. Suddenly an enormous bunch of ravens came to their help, Bran was controling them, while the direwolves helped in the ground inside the yard of castle and outside.
Inside, the castle was already full of wights, chasing people around.
In the crypts, the noises came to the door, people begging to open it and let them in. The doubt installed in the people, however it was too high the risk. The sounds suddenly stopped.
Inside the castle people fought, in high sky people fought as well and in the ground they fought and fought. Joanna fought without stoping, saving people and killing wights. They had to stay together, otherwise it would not work. Almost all the people were fighting back to back and would switch, from time to time. The shouts never stopped.
Viserion began to destroy the castle with the blue fire. It began to fell. Joanna knew that at least one of the dragons fell, because it was heard, she just did not know which one. The battle arrived at the Godswood. The Iron Born fought with arrows and spears to stop them from getting to Bran.
The fires stopped, the Night King was on the ground, Daenerys tried to kill him with dragon fire, but it did nothing.
The yard was full with piles of dead from both sides, Joanna was begining to freak out, however she knew that she could not. If it happened, everything would go down and they would lose and die. All of sudden, the dead began to rise, all of them. The enemy got larger and it became impossible to win.
The White Walkers and the Night King broke into the castle and no one could do a thing about it, the dead began to attack again and they had to survive.
In the crypts the dead woke. And began to attack the people, they trying to hold them off and to hide, but it was worthless. "Come on!" Tyrion said to the people to get away from the wights.
In the Godswood, they did not stop coming all the time, Bran was the Night King's goal and he was determined to get him. Theon and the Iron Born were holding them off. Still they were too many and they started to get outnumbered.
Jon was fighting the dead all alone and was loosing, Daenerys came to save him however Drogon had to leave her there to try to stop the dead. Daenerys tried to fight them on the ground and Jorah came to save her, they were isolated in the middle of the dead, while Jon was running to the castle to try to get to Bran.
Tyrion and Sansa managed to protect the people in the crypt, however they had to hide as well, because they were too many.
Jon got inside the castle and was going to the Godswood, Joanna saw him and yelled, "I'm going inside!" "What?!" Pod yelled concerned. Joanna knew that she had to get inside and help Jon because their only chance was to defeat the Night King, she looked at Jaime and nodded. Then Jaime said to Pod, "She knows what she's doing, lad." And then Joanna started to go after Jon.
Joanna was following Jon, however she noticed that Sam was in trouble and Jon had to go save Bran, none of them knew how things were in the Godswood, so instead she helped Sam and then yelled, "Come on! Run to where there are more people fighting!" He did as she said and Joanna fought her way inside the castle, however she lost Jon's trail.
In the crypts, Tyrion and Sansa left their hiding, they had to protect the people, they had to try at least, it was the right thing to do. So they grabed their weapons and Tyrion took her hand and kissed it, in a way saying goodbye if they did not make it, then they went to the fight together and did their best to protect the people, fighting the best they could.
It was chaos everywhere. Jon was trying to get to Bran, however Viserion started to attack the castle and he could not moove anywhere. Brienne, Jaime and Podrick were trying to fight, however the wights had them trap between them and one of castle walls, they could not moove as well, just try to get together to cover more area, however they did not let them. In the crypts they were trapped without an escape. Tormund, Gendry and Grey Worm were trying to fight in the yard, however they were trapped too. Jorah and Daenerys were in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by wights. Theon was the only one in the Godswood alive, he was fighting the wights trying to save Bran, however they did not stop coming. The wolves were fighting in the ground and the ravens were fighting as well. The Hound was trapped inside the castle without a way out. Ser Davos was on the walls also without a way out. It was like the end was upon them.
Inside the castle, near the Goswood, Joanna saw Arya and went to her, "How are we here?" Joanna asked. "I have to get to the Night King." Arya said, pointing to the Night King that was entering the Godswood. "Allright. Uh... fighting styles, which ones do you know?" Joanna asked trying to work out a solution fast because they were running out of time. "Very well, Water Dacing and Faceless men." Arya answered. "Allright, I distract the Walkers and you go straight to him, without a sound and then jump through that pile and attack him from behind. He will probably notice that, if he does, switch the dagger from one hand to another, I know you know how to do it. Put this around your neck, he can't touch you." Joanna said, giving her a neckerchief she had under the armour. "It's impossible." Arya said. "Never tell me the odds. Just do it. What do we say to the God of Death?" Joanna said, she knew that if she trained the Bravoosi style, she knew that. "Not today." Arya said and then they both followed the plan. Arya went to the Night King and Joanna to the Walkers.
"Hey! Ice-heads! Come and get me!" Joanna said loudly, looking at the Walkers and they looked at her and went after her. The Night King did not hear her because he was focussed on Bran and Theon. Joanna started to run from the Walkers, however, after few time, she got to a place without escape and she turned to face them, they were coming. Then a direwolf appeared beside her, "Come on, girl. Let's give them hell." Joanna said as they came. Joanna held Sharp Claw and fought one, up the swords clash, down and the swords clash again, then he attacked up, she docked down and cut him, killing him, a few wights fell dead in every place. The direwolf attacked the other and fought him. Then they all started to come, Joanna held Sharp Claw thightly and yelled, "HEAR ME ROAR!" And started to try to fight them along side the direwolf, however they were too many.
It seemed to be the end for her, until suddenly they all fell into a thousands pieces of ice. Joanna fell on her knees exhausted. The direwolf came to her and sniffed her and she said, petting the direwolf, "I'm allright, girl. Thank you. Go find Arya." Then the direwolf went to the Godswood to find Arya.
In the yard, Jaime and Brienne looked at each other and then hugged, they had survived. Podrick went straight to find Joanna. The rest of the people were just trying to catch their breath. In the crypts, Tyrion and Sansa looked at each other and smiled. However, in the middle of the corpses, Daenerys and Drogon, mourned Jorah, who had died. The Hound and Melisandre exited the castle. She had finally fullfilled her fate. In the Godswood, Arya could not be more happy to see Nymeria and somehow, Bran remembered Summer, in some rare moments he was almost himself again, he was by then two people in one, he was Brandon Stark and The Three-eyed-raven.
Joanna was siting in the snow trying to catch her breath and trying to ignore the pain in her body. When Podrick found her, he knelt beside her and asked concerned, "Are you allright?" "I am. You? How are things back there?" Joanna asked. "I am. The wights are dead, everyone is fine." Pod answered and then she hugged him thightly and he hugged her back, "We survived." Joanna said breathing deeply with relief. "We did." Podrick said. Then, after the hug, they just looked at each other, joined their foreheads and smiled, behind them the sun was rising. They had made it. The dawn had came.