Last Chance

When Joanna arrived at the Red Keep, everyone was asleep, at least that was what it seemed. She led the horse to the stables and then she headed to her chambers.
Suddenly, reality faded away.
Joanna was leaving the stables to the yard, when she heard a voice, "Still doing that, with 17?". She laughed and said, "I'm just doing what I've seen my brothers do for years, nothing more." Then other voice joined the conversation, "Was I the only one, who obeyed father, and didn't go riding into the woods at night?" "Yes, pretty much." Joanna and Tyrion said with a giggle. "Well, how does it feel like, then? What was I missing?" Cersei asked curious. "Go ahead, brother. Tell her, you are much better with words than me." Joanna said with a smile looking at Tyrion. "It's the freedom. That is what you were missing. However, it was Jaime that got the idea, so he is the one who should answer your question." Tyrion said.
In that moment, they only wanted one thing. They wanted to be the four in that yard, instead of three. "I guess none of us could sleep. What a sad night for the Lannister children. Do you think Jaime is awake too?" Tyrion asked with a giggle. "Definetively. Maybe he is thinking about us too. Right, Joanna?" Cersei said looking at her. "Yes, I think you're right. Or he is planning his escape,in which case I hope has a very good plan." Joanna answered, rubbing her hand in the hilt of Sharp Claw. "That's the sword?" Tyrion asked noticing what she was doing. Joanna unsheathed the sword and showed it to them. They were amazed by it, how it shone with the moonlight, the detail work of the hilt ... Nothing was more bright than Valyrian steel, and Cersei instantly knew that it was no stupid sword and that she had done wrong defending Joffrey, Joanna was also her blood after all. "I'm sorry that Joffrey took it. I should never-" Cersei was saying, before Joanna cut her short, "Don't. Let's not talk about it, allright? Just tonight. Tomorrow, everything is going to be back to the reality again, so let's just enjoy this moment." Joanna said serious, looking down. "Allright." Cersei said, she knew better than forcing the subject. "I told Joanna, the story behind we calling her Jo when she was a child." Tyrion intervened relieving the tension. "I still remember that day. I hold you for the first time, I remember that I couldn't stand Jaime or Tyrion, holding you. I mean, you were a baby and they were boys always getting themselves into trouble." Cersei said smiling. "See, I told you, we were always getting into trouble." Tyrion said with a giggle. "I wish I could remember. Those seem like good times. Just tell me this: why do I get the feeling that the trouble those two got into, increased several levels after I begun to walk?" Joanna ask with a giggle. She just had a feeling that it was true, although she did not know why. "Hey, come on. Give us a break, we were children. Besides, I had 7 or 8 and Jaime had 14 or 15 and he was worst than me. I just followed him." Tyrion said smiling. "That's true, once he jumped from the Rock into the water, without thinking about the consequences, at least until I told father-" Cersei was saying, before Joanna interupted suprised, "He jumped into the water from the Rock, really? What was he thinking?" "The answer to that question is he wasn't thinking." Tyrion said with a giggle. "Also, when you began to walk the first thing you grabed, I don't know why you did it or why it was in your room in the first place, was a wooden sword. So, imagine the excitement of these two." Cersei said smiling. "Hang on a second, I wasn't there when that happened or, if I was, I don't remember." Tyrion said with a giggle. "No way, really? I grabed a wooden sword? Maybe that's why I love figthing." Joanna said with a giggle, not believing them. "I knew from that moment, that you weren't made to be a lady. You were made to be a warrior or a knight. Still, I tried to teach you the courtesies of it." Cersei said softly. "You did one hell of a job really. Especially, because I was more interested in swords than needles or gowns, at that time." Joanna said softly too. "We have to thank Jaime for that." Tyrion said with a giggle and then the three of them laughed.
"To be honest, you three raised me and I owned you almost everything that I'm today." Joanna said looking at them with a smile. "What about father? I thought that you were with him all the time. I mean when you were a baby, he would not let anyone get near you, not even us sometimes, of course we sneaked out most of the times." Cersei said suprised. "Well, after you married and Jaime entered to the Kingsguard again, it was me and Tyrion in the Rock. Father was never there, at least for what I remembered. Then, after I left again three years after, I only saw him one time a month, maybe. So, I was alone most of the time. He wasn't there most of my life, at least that is what I have memory of." Joanna explained. "I-I had no idea. If I knew, I would have never let him take you away." Cersei said in shock, she did not know why she did not think of that before. She knew how their father was. "It was for the best, I grew up, after some unfortunate events, but I did." Joanna said honestly. "I told you, whatever happened there, if you want to talk about it, we are here. We put off the reality, like we are doing now, and we talk about it." Tyrion assured her. Cersei comfirmed nodding. "Thank you. But somethings are better left buried. I have to go, before people start talking, the rumours about the sword figthing are enough for me. See you around then." Joanna said leaving. Joanna did not say goodbeye to her siblings, she said gooodbeye to that moment, that somehow seemed that would be one in a million.
When she got to her chambers, Sansa and Shae were still sleeping. Hours ago, they were talking sitting in a mount of pillows in the floor of the room and eventually they ended up falling asleep. Joanna removed her sword from her waist, hidding it behind the bed as usual, and joined them in their sleep. That night, the dream was different. It was the Rock and her family as always, however it seemed to her that something was wrong, she just could not figure out what it was. Then all of sudden, the people become shadows and started to disapear. And all she could do was watching and begging them to stay. Some time later, she was alone again. Joanna was used to having nightmares, ever since the first night alone in the Rock, so she just ignore them and got back into a dreamless sleep. If she could not have a good dream, she would not dream at all.
The days after that went on and Joanna seemed to be living half-alive, not that she showed it. Nothing seemed real and exciting, partly because she did what she could to stay away from the spotlights in order to not loose her temper. Joanna walked through the city, talked to the people and yet she felt she did not belong there. She felt alone, eventhough she was not. The place that once was her home, by then seemed a foreign city, like Braavos or Essos. She missed the starry sky and the sea brease of Casterly Rock, she missed the sound of the market and the ships of Lannisport. Above all, she missed her childhood, the good old days, that seemed to be further away every day that passed.
Joanna and Cersei did not talk since that night at the stables, none of them wanted to yell at each other and they both knew that peace would not last long, therefore they chose the easier way, which was to stay away or put off the reality, if it came to that. Tyrion was really busy with the duties of the Hand of the King and trying to plan the defenses of the city against Stannis Baratheon's army. It was a difficult task, sometimes Joanna helped him, eventhough there was not much she could do, because everything was in chaos, due to the war.
When the news of Renly Baratheon's death reached KingsLanding, it was a relief and a problem at the same time. The five kings were by then four. Still the men from one Baratheon king joined the other and the other was not Joffrey.
Joanna knew that Renly was not strong enough to be King, although he was the more gentler and just of the five kings at war. She did not want to get involve in the policts of the realm, however she understood a few things about wars and the men in question, many of them she had met in KingsLanding, of others she had heard only stories .
For her, Stannis was too rigid and lacked emotions for the common folk or people in general, the man always lived in the shadow of his brother and never asked anything in return until that time. Balon Greyjoy wanted revenge for the Siege of Pyke and his life style was basically sacking cities and taking gold, the Iron Born did not have rules or limits, the kingdoms would fall into chaos. As for Robb Stark, from want Sansa told her, he wanted to go home with his family, which was something that Joanna understood, however if he won, the realm would not have a King. Besides she could not let him get near her family, he hated Lannisters, however she did not blame him for it, because she did not fancy the Starks either and they were at war.
Therefore, the last option was Renly, he was just and cared about the people, unfortunately turned out she was right, he was not strong enough and got mudered by a shadow before going to war, from what people were saying, although Joanna was almost certain that it had something to do with his brother.
Sometimes, Joanna wondered if the Seven Kingdoms would, eventually, some day, have a decent King, capable of please the highlords and protect the common folk. She could not know what the future held, however, she knew one thing, nor Joffrey or any of the Kings that were at war were that King.
During these days, Joanna got away from the life in court. She would spend her days in her room or in the yard fighting. Also, she was near her friends to protect them, in case something happened. The only good moments were when she was with them or with her brother, in that moments she felt a little less alone.
The day before Myrcella's departure, the routine broke.
Joanna was in her chambers drawing a knight, who she intended to be one knight of the Kingsguard like Ser Duncan the Tall or Ser Barristan the Bold or even her brother (however, it was not going very well and she knew that sooner or later, she would have to draw it all again), riding into the woods, for some reason, when a knock came from the door. She went to answered it, opening the door. It was her brother. As usual, she let him in.
" To what do I owe the pleasure of the visit of The Hand of the King?" Joanna said joking and closing the door. "Very funny. I'm here, because I need your help. What were you drawing?" Tyrion asked walking to the table and noticing the papers. "Just some knight riding into the woods, but I'm not being very acomplished in it. What do you need my help for?" Joanna answered curious. "I'm sure you will succedd sooner or later. It's about the battle against Stannis Baratheon." Tyrion said a little concerned, looking at her. "I will fight in the battle with you, it is settle, I will not change my mind. If that's what this is about." Joanna said serious. "It's not about that, I couldn't stop you even if I wanted to. Believe me I want to, but I gave up at that battle already. The problem is that I'm pretty sure Joffrey won't lead the army and that Cersei won't let him do it, even if, for some miraculous reason, he was capable of it. So, we have to figure it out." Tyrion explained. "I can comand if you want, you know I can fight better than half the soldiers. Besides if they don't listen to me, I think they will listen to you. You have experience in strategy. If they don't, they should." Joanna proposed. "That's the problem, they won't listen. You're a girl and I'm a dwarf, so the soldiers will never listen to any of us, even if we were the last chance they got, which we are. Also, we don't have the numbers, even with the wildfire, Stannis can still sack the city." Tyrion explained rebutting. "So, what do you propose we should do?" Joanna asked confused. "Our last chance is to get father here in time." Tyrion answered. "That's impossible. We haven't heard from father in days. The only thing we know is that he is in Harrenhal." Joanna said serious. "Which is why I'd like you to go to Harrenhal and bring the Lannister army to the city or at least convince father to do it. You're the better person to do it." Tyrion explained trying to convence her. "But what about the kids, I said I would keep them safe. If I leave, I can't do that and you'd be alone if the battle comes early." Joanna rebuted. "If you don't get father here, we are all doomed. This is the only way to help them. I can manage, but father has to get here as soon as possible. Please, Joanna, this is our last chance." Tyrion said serious. "Fine, I'll go. I will just say goodbeye to Myrcella this afternoon and prepare the armour and then I'll go." Joanna said nodding. "Farewell, little sister. I know you won't let me down. And I know you can take care of yourself, but be carefull." Tyrion said giving her a hug. "I will. See you in a few days, brother. Take care of everyone, while I'm away." Joanna said hugging him back.
After that, she prepared her armour, horse and sword. She was wearing her Lannister armour, as usual, and Sharp Claw at her waist, she made her way to Myrcella's chambers to say goodbeye. She knocked on the door and the girl opened it letting her in. "Hello, aunt Joanna. How can I help you?" Myrcella said excited, although a bit sad too. "I came to see how you were and say goodbeye. I will have to go to Harrenhal today." Joanna said looking at the little girl. Myrcella went to her and gave her a hug and said, "I don't want to go to Dorne, can you take me with you?" Joanna kneeled to be at her height and said, "I'm going to get your grandfather, so we can win this war and protect the city. It's really dangerous, I can't put your life at risk. I'm sorry, Myrcella." The girl looked down sadly. Joanna put a hand on her shoulder and said, "Look, I know you don't want to go to Dorne, sweetling. I know you don't want to be alone, but it is for your safety. I have something for you." She took from her belt a golden bracelet with a small rose and gave it to her. "It's beautifull. Thank you." Myrcella said smiling. "Let me tell you a story about it. Your mother and your uncles gave it to me, when I was little. Eversince, when I was away from them I would wear it and that made me feel they were with me. So, when you feel lonely, wear it and, in that way, you will remember your family. You are a lioness like your mother, never forget that, allright?" Joanna explained softly. "Allright, I will. I hope to see you again, some day." Myrcella said looking at her. "Me too, my dear niece." Joanna said kissing her niece's forehead and then she left relutantly.
When Joanna was outside the room, she had to wipe the tears way with the back of her hand, her heart was heavy and hurted to have to let Myrcella go to Dorne against her will, like she had to do years ago, once her father comanded her to returned to Casterly Rock. Also, she did not want to leave either, she feared that things would loose control, once she steped through the gates of the city.
Joanna had already said goodbeye to Sansa and Shae, she had to warn them, although there was one more person she felt the need to said goodbeye to: Podrick.
After looking for him in the castle, she found him in the yard, "Hello, Pod. Is everything allright?" "Hello. It is and with you?" Pod said looking at her. "Everything is fine, given the circunstances. I just wanted to say goodbeye. I'm leaving for Harrenhal today." Joanna explained. "You are leaving today? But, you've just got the news." Pod asked suprised. "I have to. My father has to get here as soon as posssible." Joanna said taking a step closer to him. "If you have to...just be safe allright? And come back." Pod said a bit concerned. "I will be, don't worry. I'll be back before you notice and hopefully with an army. Can I asked you a favor?" Joanna asked looking at him. "Anything." Pod said nodding. "Keep my brother safe, please." Joanna said looking down. "I will, don't worry." Pod said determined. "Thank you. I have to go now." Joanna said looking at him. He nodded. Then she gave him a kiss in the cheek and left, without looking back.
Joanna was afraid that she would never see any of them again, the whole country was at war and she did not know what she was going to find.
Still, at the sunset, Joanna put in a cloak and mounted the horse, riding into the woods and leaving the city behind.