Chapter 30

"You're really okay?"

"I'm really okay."

"You sure?"

"I promise I'm not hurt or anything.
I just... I'm tired most of all."

"Yeah, okay- um you get some
sleep and I'll text you tomorrow
if that's alright?"

"...that's alright."

"Okay... Listen [Y/n]... I'm really glad you're safe... g'night."

"...good night Hitoshi."

I drop the phone haphazardly on the table and collapse onto my bed. Desperate to sleep and forget it all, I close my eyes- but suddenly I'm back. Shuffling footsteps echo around me, the scent of death clouds the room, fear suffocating me.

My eyes open.
I take a deep breath.
I try again.

Somehow, throughout the night, I manage to pass out with no nightmares haunting me. When I wake up, I find my mom pacing nervously in the living room, a letter clutched in her hand.

"Mom?"

At the sound of my voice, she turns to me. She looks conflicted but her smile is genuine. "[Y/n], darling... you're awake! How are you feeling?"

"I feel okay, good almost." It's not a lie. The previous events seem so far away now. I find myself feeling safe, happy almost.

I point to the letter, "What's that?"

"Oh... um- the school would like... they want you all to move into dorms on the campus... I just don't know if it's such a good idea after... everything." My stomach twists at the worry and fear in her eyes.

"It'd be safer, wouldn't it? I mean the security has practically tripled and I'd be surrounded by pr-" I'm cut off as she hugs me suddenly.

"We- we can talk about it later, okay?"

I spend the rest day in my room on the phone with Hitoshi. I can tell he's still worried sick but doesn't want to show it. At some point. I mention returning the hoodie but he rejects the idea. "Looks better on you anyway," he says.

The next morning, there's a knock at the door and I hear voices in the living room. Wandering out, I'm greeted with the sight of my flustered mom and Aizawa-sensei.

"O-oh sweetheart! You're teacher came to talk about the dorms..."

The sight of Aizawa-sensei all dressed up brings a bright smile to my face.

"I've never see you with your hair back before..."

He sighs tiredly at the comment. My mother ushers us to the couch and its silent for a moment before she begins.

"Thank you for getting him back to me..." She rests a hand on my shoulder. "I don't want to think what I'd do if he'd... Just thank you."

"I'm glad he's doing well, ma'am. Regarding the dorm proposition..."

My mom smiles tightly, nodding choppily at his words. "Ah... the dorms. I'm sure they're very safe. I just- I'm not so sure [Y/n] should be... a hero."

My heart drops suddenly. "Mom!"

Aizawa tries to defuse the situation, "Now Ms. [L/n], the school-"

She shakes her head suddenly, looking to me. "I'm sorry- this hero thing... I mean is it really worth it? They came for you... they had you [Y/n]..."

"They didn't come after me specifically. They were only after Bakugou. In fact, they weren't even happy to have to deal with me." I argue quietly.

"...w-what...?"

The two adults share a quick look, before focusing on me. I take a deep breath and wringing my hands anxiously. "They only wanted Bakugou. I just- I got caught trying to save him."

"Oh...[Y/n]..."

I glance up to mom, feeling awfully like a kid confessing. "We were trying to get him to sensei and the others. We knew they wanted him but suddenly everything shifted- the villains had him... I couldn't breathe. I needed to help him.

I didn't even think- I used my quirk to get to him... but then they had me too. They covered my eyes- I couldn't pop us away. They kept me blindfolded. I was useless to them- I wasn't even worth enough effort to kill."

She's tearing up at the words, comprehending them slowly. "S-so you- you weren't t-targeted...? You just..."

"Not personally, no..." I sit up straighter, head held defiantly. "I was trying to save Bakugou and if I had to- I'd do it again. I can't stop being a hero, mom. It's part of me."

"I- god..." she turns to the teacher. "You really think he should be a hero?"

Aizawa-sensei nods slowly before speaking. "Your son regularly demonstrates an innate drive for hero work. He not only shows this in class but on his own time, such as teaching first aid to the other students and getting others out of harms way.

Frankly, because of his initiative to help people in crisis, I was able to heal quicker after the USJ incident due to his actions. I have no doubt he'd make a great hero in the future."

A sigh echoes through the room.

"I know how much he looks up to you but... you will keep him safe, right?" She nods to Aizawa-sensei, watching him intensely.

"Without a doubt." His meets her gaze.

I turn to my mom, grinning. "So I can go, yeah? I swear I'll be safe!"

Tension fills me at her silence and then-

"Alright... you can go."

Moments later, Aizawa is leaving but I stop him at the door. "Um sensei...? Something might've happened with my quirk during the... y'know. B-basically I kinda teleported to Bakugou after he disappeared? Midoriya thinks it's cause I pictured him in my mind-"

Aizawa-sensei looks confused for a moment. "Hold on. You're telling me that you were not transported the same way Bakugou was?"

"Yeah... it felt like my quirk."

"And would you say that Midoriya's theory could be correct?"

I nod slowly, "I mean... I was thinking of Bakugou and then I was in front of him. Do you think he's right?"

Sensei looks serious for a moment before nodding. "I- possibly. Thank you for bringing this to my attention... I'm glad you're doing better, [L/n]."

---
Honestly, I'm trying to space out chapters so there aren't large gaps as I write but I really hate waiting so I'm gonna post this chapter early and maybe post twice a day for a bit.