Chapter 50

I'm startled by a soft knock at my door. Wiping away my tears away, I peek open the door to see Bakugou holding the kitten, Ryu. He pushes his way into the room, not speaking. I close the door when he makes a beeline for the bed.

Feeling empty from all the crying, I drop next to him and he passes Ryu to me. The kitten mewls at the movement. The usually angry teen sits with me in silence for a couple minutes, his presence surprisingly comforting. After awhile longer, he leaves and I go to sleep, Ryu curled up next to my head.

A few days pass and Aizawa-sensei takes us to attend Nighteye's funeral. I try not to think too hard about that situation.

After finishing up the reports and discussions at school and hero agencies, all of the interns remain in wait-and-see status.

And little Eri finally wakes up but she's emotionally unstable. Sensei said that since we don't know if or when she might lose control again, visits are prohibited for now.

Time passes swiftly and everything has finally settled back to normal. In homeroom, Aizawa-sensei has an important announcement.

"It's time for the culture festival."

The class buzzes excitedly and the thought of doing something completely normal and stress free brings a light smile to my face.

"Here we go! Something a normal school would do!"

"We've gotta decide what we're gonna do!"

Kirishima jumps up from his seat. "Is this really all right?! Being so carefree after everything that's going on?!"

Kaminari turns to face him. "Kirishima... you sure have changed."

"But its true, ain't it?! Villains are thriving right now!!"

Aizawa nods. "A reasonable opinion. But lest you forget, U.A. is more than just the hero department. If the sports festival is the Hero Department's time to shine, then the culture festival is where the other departments really stand out.

While it's true that it's not nearly as big of a spectacle, it's an event that they really look forward to. And given the current state of things, with the introduction of the dorms, there are a lot of people who have been feeling stressed, since everything has been revolving around the Hero Department."

"Thinking about it that way... I feel pretty bad about it..." Kirishima drops his gaze to his desk.

Sensei continues. "Yes, in this situation, it isn't really fair to expect them to just act with restraint... This year, unlike in past years, we'll be putting on the culture festival exclusively within the school community. With the exception of a few other related parties.

I know I said that you all aren't the stars of the show this time around, but each class has to do something. So today, we'll be deciding what to showcase as a class."

Immediately, Iida jumps to take over as class rep. "Let's put together a list! If anyone has suggestions, raise your hand!"

Everyone suddenly raises their hands excitedly. Thinking it over, I don't really have any ideas for the festival so I leave it up to the rest of the class. The most noteworthy ideas are copied onto the board. Nobody manages to agree and we are informed that if we don't decide, it'll be a public lecture.

During our supplementary lessons, Aizawa mentions that Eri wants to see Mirio, Midoriya, and I.

"She wants to see Midoriya and [L/n]?"

"Yes. The request is exclusively for Togata, [L/n], and Midoriya."

That's how I find myself trailing behind the two boys nervously. When we arrive to her hospital room, I'm happy to see her sitting up on her bed. She looks healthier.

Midoriya and Mirio are the first to talk.

"Sorry we couldn't come see you sooner."

"This is an assortment of fruits! If you enjoy them, then eat them up!" Eri appears to have taken a liking to apples.

I watch from farther back in the room, not wanting to overwhelm her. But when her eyes turn to me, I smile softly. "Hey, kiddo..."

She speaks up quietly, glancing to Midoriya. "This whole time, even when I had my fever, I- I was thinking that, even while I was being saved, I didn't know your name. I know Lemillion-san and Meraki-san, but I wanted to know."

The green haired boy smiles brightly. "It's Izuku Midoriya, and my hero name is Deku! Um... Deku is probably shorter and easier to remember. Deku it is! My name is Deku!"

A sad look crosses her face. "Lemillion-san... Deku-san... Meraki-san... and that man with the glasses... everyone got really hurt, all because of me... I'm sorry that you all had to experience such painful things because of me. It's- It's because of me that Lemillion-san, that you lost your powers..."

Mirio shakes his head with a blinding smile. "Eri-chan. Nobody thinks you caused them painful things! Everyone's thinking something more like this! 'It's great that Eri-chan is safe!' It's no use apologizing to people that aren't there!! Let's take it easy. Everyone fought because they wanted to see your smiling face!"

She looks confused for a moment and starts to pull faces before looking back to us. "I'm sorry... how do you smile again?"

My heart breaks for her.

Eventually, Midoriya comes up with the idea to take Eri to the cultural festival. Mirio goes on to explain it to her and I listen quietly.

Aizawa shrugs. "Let's talk it over with the principal."

I turn to Eri, smiling gently. "What do you think, kiddo?"

"I-I've been thinking, ever since I was being saved... about the people who saved me... Lemillion-san and everyone else, I want to get to know them more!"

Mirio grins brightly. "I'll tell you about us until you can't take it anymore!"

I end up spending the rest of the visit sitting quietly nearby while the other two talk. Their larger personalities greatly overpower my quiet nature but I don't mind so I simply offer my presence through soft smiles.

When it's time for us to leave, I'm surprised when Eri calls to me quietly. "Meraki-san? Would you... would you visit with me at the festival if- if I can go?"

I smile gently. "I'd love to... also, you can just call me Meraki if you want- instead of Meraki-san..."

She pauses for a second and then nods. "...Thank you, Meraki."

"Anytime, kiddo."

---
Am I stealing Eri's affection?
Maybe.
Kids are just precious and
I love them!!

Thank you for reading!!!