Something Big

The next day, (Name) and Hogarth were stuck in class. Lucky them. But neither were really paying attention, both thinking back to yesterday's events. Hogarth was drawing the Giant robot the two saw earlier, whilst (Name) was writing about it in her journal. The rest of the class watching a educational film.

''A peaceful, stay-a-home kind of day in a town very much like your own. But then suddenly, without warning,'' A bomb exploded on the screen. ''Atomic holocaust! But how does one survive an atomic attack?''

A boy in class whispers to his friend, ''Hey, did you hear about crazy Mr. Stutz? He says his boat ran into a sea monster.''

''I heard it was sunk by a meteor,'' the second boy replies.

A third one shakes his head, ''No, no, no, it was a metal meteor, it ate his boat. My dad says-''

Hogarth and (Name) both looked up from what they were doing to exchanged annoyed looks. Hogarth turned to interrupt them, ''Actually, it wasn't any of those things.''

One of the boys, clearly annoyed, goes, ''What would you know about it, Poindexter?''

Mrs Tensedge speaks up from by the screen, ''Hogarth!'' She shushes him. ''Don't make me come over there.''

The chorus of the film begins. ''Hands over your head, keep low to the ground, time to duck 'n cover, the bombs are coming down!'' The bomb exploded once more. ''Duck and cover.''

(Name) turns around too. ''It's about 50 or sixty feet high and it only eats metal.''

Another boy, annoyed about her joining the conversation, says, ''Shut up, spaz. What would you, you're just some army brat!''

(Name), upset slightly, turns around, but doesn't stop listening in. Hogarth glares at the boy, but doesn't dare say anything, there wasn't very much he could do. The second boy speaks up, ''It's probably been sent by foreigners to take over the country.''

''Yeah, we should bomb it to smithereens before it does.''

'''Cause all the kids who don't, will cease to be around!''

Hogarth rolls his eyes, completing his drawing with the robot eating some metal, while (Name) jots down an extra note - 'The idiots in class don't believe us.'

Meanwhile, in 'Chat 'n Chew', Annie's completing Dean's order, pouring him some coffee. Dean speaks up, ''What a nice girl serving coffee to a guy like me.''

''I have the right to refuse service to anyone,'' Annie jokes, pointing to a sign on he wall. 

Dean smiles before speaking again, ''I'm sorry about yesterday. I'm usually...'' He trails off, searching for the right words.

''Not like that?'' She asked, raising an eyebrow. ''Right.'' They both share a soft chuckle. ''It wasn't your fault. Hogarth is... I think he's lonely - even with (Name) around. Don't get me wrong, shes a true friend and is a great influence, but she's just... I don't know, kinda withdrawn. Both her parents taking to the army so suddenly gave her a few trust issues, it took Hogarth a good year or two to get her to talk to him...''

Dean smiled in sympathy, ''Yeah, well, he's a good kid. So's she. They help each-other out, it's what friends are for.'' The two adults smile at each-other. Earl then approaches Dean, placing a hand on his shoulder.

''Hey, c'mon outside. I've got somethin' ta show ya.'' Outside the Diner, Dean is examining a half-eaten tractor.

''Thanks for the scrap, Floyd. I'm sorry I can't pay you more, but, well, it's got this huge - bite - out of it.''

''That's why I'm selling it; it's got a large bite out of it!'' Floyd told him. Dean chuckled.

''That's... Who could have done this?''

Earl was quick to respond, ''I told ya what!''

''Oh, yeah. Strange invaders,'' Dean said as he walked back to his tuck.

''Thanks for believing me,'' Earl says, following him. ''I really did call the Government. They're sending someone to take care of the whole thing.''

''Jeez, Earl.'' Dean turned towards Earl with a raised eyebrow. ''You really are crazy. I mean, who the hell would the Government send?''

-

A car door, with the Government seal on it, slams shut. ''Bureau of Unexplained Phenomena.'' Kent Mansley, a Government agent, pulls out his ID and flashes it at Marva she smoked his pipe.

''Kent Mansley, United States Government, Unexplained Phenomena department,'' Kent said.

''Marv Loach. I, the-'' Marv tries to speak but Kent doesn't care.

''What happened here?'' Kent interrupted.

''Not sure. Sometimes the line'll snap if the weather is bad, sure,'' Marv said as he led Kent through the wreckage of the power station. ''But for a whole tower to get twisted up like that... It's got me beat. It's almost like it was bitten off by some enormous beast.''

Kent writes a few notes down. ''Enormous beast, yeah. What do you think? Escaped Gorilla?''

''Err, what department is that again?''

''Frankly, I'm not at liberty to reveal the particulars of the agency I work for... And all that that implies,'' Kent told him.

''You meant the - National Security?''

''Let's put it this way: Once in a while, things happen, that can't be rationalised in a conventional way. People want to know that their Government has a response. I am that response. So, were there any witnesses?''

''Well, Sir, if you'll just follow me.'' Kent followed Marv to his truck. Marv opened it up and took out a broken 'BB' Gun with a few letters on, not that you could make any sense of them. ''We did find this.''

Kent took it off of Marv and began examining it.

''United States Government, huh? Guess that means something big's happening here, eh?'' Marv asked

Kent looks down at him, amused. ''No, Marv. Big things happen in big places. The sooner I fill out my report, the sooner I can get back to them.''

Kent walks away with the BB Gun. He begins to talk to himself. ''Enormous beast, yeah...'' He chuckles as he enters his car. ''Biggest thing here is probably the homecoming Queen...''

Kent went to place the gun on the passenger seat, only to realise that there no longer is one, his car has a big chunk missing. ''Oh my God!'' He screamed as he jumped out, terrified, his fedora falling off. He quickly runs back to the power station, grabbing Marv by the arm and then forcefully escorting him back to his car,

''Come on, Marv. I need a witness. It's around the corner,'' He muttered.

''Don't pull so hard,'' Marv said, trying to free his arm, but to no use.

''It's like a big chomp out of the side of it. It's like a bite out of a ham sandwich, it's like a...'' He became at a loss for words when he realises that his car is no longer there. Only his fedora and BB Gun remains.

Marv, opens his mouth, closes it again before he speaks. ''What, err - what are we looking at here, Mr. Manley?''

Kent narrows his eyes. ''Something big, Marv.'' He crouches down, picking up the gun before staring into the distance. ''Something big.''