Oh, Deer

Hogarth, (Name) and Giant were all sat it the woods, happily admiring the scenery, Hogarth and (Name) on Giant's left shoulder. Giant let out a low grumbling noise - a sigh.

''It's beautiful, huh?'' (Name) said, her voice barely above a whisper as she smiled.

''Yeah,'' Hogarth sighed, his elbows on his crossed knees as he stared at it - or her.

(Name) turned to Hogarth, slightly surprised as he had never shown an interest in what the woods looked like ben seeing her cheeks become dusted in a light pink and a light giggle escape her lips, he relaxed slightly, remembering how he didn't need to worry around her, and he smiled, earning a bright one in return.

Once (Name) had calmed down from her small fit of giggles, she looked to see Hogarth was still looking at her. She smiled as their eyes locked. Hogarth's smile widened as he shuffled forward slightly. He mentally prepared himself for what he was about to force himself to say, but (Name) cut him off.

Her eyes had accidentally caught sight of the area behind Hogarth and had spotted something. ''Hey, look!'' She cried, jumping on top of Hogarth as she pointed behind him.

Hogarth sighed, but smiled fondly as he turned to look too.

A deer was merrily making it's way through the woods.

''It's a deer,'' Hogarth whispered to Giant.

''Shh,'' (Name) told him, pressing a finger to her lips as she playfully glared - getting an eye roll in return. ''Let's get closer.''

Giant nodded eagerly before walking, as quietly as he could, towards the animal. The deer saw him and froze, but didn't run, instead she stared curiously. Giant knelt down, holding out his finger.

(Name) smiled, shaking Hogarth in excitement as the deer moved forward, sniffing Giant's finger. But a twig snaps and she hears it, elegantly galloping away.

''Hmm, well I guess she decided to-'' Suddenly a gunshot was heard, echoing trough the woods and multiple birds fled the area. Giant stands up, allowing them to see two hunters standing over something.

One turns and sees Giant, he gapes as he slaps his friends arm frantically, trying to get his attention. His friend turns to him, annoyed. The first pointed out Giant with a slightly shaky hand. ''It's the monster!'' They both quickly ran away, revealing the limp deer.

''Oh no,'' Hogarth whispered. (Name) clasped a hand over her mouth, turning to Hogarth to hide her face in his shoulder, not wanting to see it. Hogarth raised a hand, rubbing (Name)'s back softly. This was the side of her only he had seen and only came out rarely.

''It's dead,'' Hogarth told Giant sadly.

''Dead?'' Giant asked, cocking his head to the side. He tried to pick the deer up and set it on it's feet, but it fell to the ground again. He picked it up, prepared to do it again.

''Don't do that!'' (Name) yelled. Giant looked at her in shock, but put the deer down.

''Why?''

''It's dead, understand? They shot it, with a gun,'' Hogarth explained, still hugging (Name).

Giant sees the gun lying a few feet away from the deer and his eyes began to turn red, the clogs behind them began to turn.

''Hey, what's wrong?'' (Name) asked, sniffing as she pulled away from Hogarth, not seeing the concerned look he gave her. She smiled at Giant sadly.

''Gun.''

''Yes, guns kill,'' Hogarth said.

''Guns kill,'' Giant repeated, staring at the dead deer.

Later that night, the three were at the Junkyard. Giant still hadn't gotten over the fact that the deer was dead. He used his finger to open the hood of a car before letting it drop and then repeating the process.

(Name) sighed, standing up from her spot, dragging Hogarth with her. Giant stopped, watching the two approach before sitting on the hood of the car.

''We know you feel bad about the deer,'' Hogarth started. ''But it's not your fault, things die.''

''It's part of life,'' (Name) continued. ''It's bad to kill, but it's not bad to die.''

''You die?'' Giant asked, placing a finger on both Hogarth and (Name)'s chest. (Name) held onto it, gently drumming her fingers on it.

''Well, yes, someday,'' Hogarth told him, taking a step towards (Name).

''I die?'' He asked.

Hogarth rubbed the back of his neck, ''I don't know. You're made of metal - but you have feelings. And you think about things, that means you have a soul. And souls don't die.''

''Soul?'' Giant asked.

''Mum says it's something inside of all good things. And that it goes on forever and ever.''

Hogarth patted Giant's face, (Name) then hugs his face, spreading her arms out on the metal surface, hugging as much as she could, Hogarth joining in, one arm on Giant and the other around (Name).

The two slowly walk away, heading back to Hogarth's house. Giant lied on his scraps, staring up into the night sky.

''Souls don't die.''

Can we just take a second to appreciate me title? Okay? Okay.