3.

It was 10:07 PM.

Curfew? I didn't know her.

I sat behind the register, scrolling through my phone, trying to find some lame game to play. I could've left a while ago, considering I had been here for more than 8 hours, more time than my shift called for. However, I decided that I was going to stay and do absolutely nothing. It wasn't as if I was going to get anything done at my house. Our lodging, as the demon cops call it, was monitored every single hour of day and night.

Sigh.

When I thought about it, this boring yet highly controlled world was nothing that I wanted to be a part of. I mean, no one wanted to be a part of it. No one wanted to be told how to live their lives with immediate death looming over their shoulders. This wasn't the world that any of us were born in, yet we were forced to succumb to the wishes and desires of this so-called demon lord. Though I remembered bits and pieces, I could vaguely put together the day all hell broke loose in the nation we once knew as America.

I wasn't sure if it was even called America anymore.

It might as be named Hell, considering that was what it was.

The demon lord considered himself the 'God' of our world and those thirteen commandments were his instant way of showing us that he could do whatever it was that he wanted and we were going to oblige. Why? He had one thing over us.

The sheer fear of being killed.

The thought of freedom.

I just wanted to know how could someone, who no one in the entire world, has ever seen or met, come into our world and do something so cruel? He had no idea how much he affected our lives when he rose straight out of the red flames of hell, murdering left and right without a single thought to it. He had no idea whose lives he took with him.

I gritted my teeth, shutting my eyes as tears threatened to make their way through. Now was not the time to be thinking about memories that didn't matter anymore. "I should leave at 10:30," I muttered to myself, the silence of the store mulling over my thoughts as I scrolled through my holographic smartphone, the glass taunting me. "I need to get some more food and clothes," I said to myself, devising a plan to avoid contact with the numerous amount of demon cops strolling around at this time of night. It was crucial that I avoided these demon cops because unlike the ones during the day, they were a lot more vicious and ruthless.

I guess it was because, at night, all bets were off.

"I wonder who I could call tonight," I licked my lips, flicking through my contacts of girls. "Marley? Nah, she might be a lil wary," I chuckled. "Tara? Maybe." I thought about how good I was going to treat her. She had me once but no one said she couldn't have me again. "Heh," I shot her a text, knowing that she would be quick to respond. No one could resist the charm that I had, even if fucking was off limits.

I mean, we all had to get off in this ghost town of ours. We all had to do what we could to receive some pleasure, no matter what the cost was.

Just like that, you could only depend on yourself in this cruel and evil world of ours. No matter where you went, what you did, what you said, you always had eyes on you. It was like that burning sensation that blazed and stung your back with every walk in your own direction. It was that prickling feeling that one felt even in the obsolete comfort of the home you were given. Everywhere you turned, you were monitored.

Invasion of my god damn privacy.

I groaned, putting my phone on the counter before, not knowing what to do. All of a sudden, I saw the flickering of blue and yellow lights, lights that belonged to the flashlights of the demon cops, and a loud knocking on the door of the entrance shocked me.