5.

"Don't be an idiot, Troy!"

I pouted playfully, pushing the girl's head gently. "Aw, be careful what you say about me, Natanya," I muttered and she stuck her tongue out at me, blowing a raspberry like a little child. "Mature, just real mature," I stated casually, listening to her laugh as I looked out of the window of the main school building, watching it rain and rain endlessly. "Hey, Tanya," I piped up, nudging her with my foot as we sat opposite of each other in the makeshift window seat. "Hm?" She replied with a tilt of her head and I sighed. "Why the hell does it always rain?" I pointed to the ghastly zing of lightning, shivering with the rattle of the harsh thunder.

"I mean," I shrugged. "I can't recall a day where there was ever sun. I can't recall a day where it never rained," I faltered, wondering about the mechanics of our world and our time. "I mean, in all of those god damn textbooks that tell us about the demon lord and his ability to make the world prosper, you would think that it would've done well to capture the absolute truth because all we had is rain upon rain," I rolled my eyes. Everyone believed that the demon lord would make Earth rise once again, but I haven't seen one good thing come out of this affair. All we have done is suffer.

And for what exactly?

It was just frustrating how someone could promise eternal happiness one day, and then treat us like shit the next. He was no worse than our old president. At least President Daniel Colfax didn't have men that abused us and held our lives in their hands. He was terrible, no lie, but this demon lord was entirely another species. He had no regard for the human life, which made no sense since he took over OUR land.

Natanya's eyes flashed yellow and it made me question if I was hallucinating or what. "What makes you think that it's the demon lord fault that it rains?" With a turn of my head, I looked at her, seeing a faraway look in her eye and a frown on her lips.

"I mean," I bit my lip, wondering why the atmosphere of the room dimmed. "Who else could it be?" I arched my brow, trying to understand what she was getting at. "Come the fuck on. There's no one else who took over our world like he did." There was a fire in her eyes and I jolted just a bit, wondering why she seemed so pressed about it. "Please don't talk so surely of things you have no idea about," She whispered and I said nothing, trying to process what just happened. Her mood mellowed out and I swallowed, trying to ignore the last few minutes as we admired the landscape of the city.

Though we had levitating cars, there was not one in sight.

It just proved the fact that people were too afraid to do what they liked. It just proved that the life here in this city was not enough. Everywhere one went, they saw the same people. It didn't matter if you went near or far, you saw the same people over and over again and after a certain point in time, it got old real quick.

But this, nah, this was a refreshing moment.

It was unexpected, though welcoming, how Natanya and I got closer over the span of a few days. She wasn't like the other people in this city. She didn't berate me for using profanity or having a lack of respect for authoritative figures. No, she laughed it off and told me that she wished she had the tenacity and grit that I had. She was the breath of fresh air that I had been looking to breathe in this mundane world. She was everything that Avery and Jade weren't.

Though it didn't mean that I didn't want to be friends with them anymore because I definitely did. Though my friends were paranoid and fearful pieces of shit, they were my homies and I wouldn't just leave them like that. Not after everything that we had been through together, everything that we had seen thus far. There was just no way that I could leave them to fend for themselves. They'd get killed the instant I walked out of that door. They knew it even if they didn't want to admit it, but I saved them from the brink of death.