21.

"Who in the fuck are you?"

I folded my arms, glaring at the woman before me. I didn't like that she bore some resemblance to Natanya or that she shared the last time as he who-shall-not-be-named because it meant that everything that had happened would've been a lie.

"Synthella...Kane?" I stared at her confusion, my traitorous mind slowly putting together what I desperately didn't want to believe. "Does that," I swallowed deeply, the knot seemingly stuck in my throat but I knew it was all in my head. I could feel the dead hallway gradually started to get colder like ice, when it was so damn hot. "Does that mean you are..." I trailed off, unable to ask my own question with the clench of my hand.

"How's my darling Natanya?" The brown-haired woman slowly moved to cling at the bars of the cage, her chains rattling with every single movement that she made. I put a hand up to my mouth, stunned and crisp with disbelief. There was just no way that was true. It just couldn't be. My heart was not going to allow me to fully comprehend that the lady that was sitting before, bound behind bars, was Natanya's mother.

Didn't Natanya say that her father told her that she died long, long ago?

"That can't be true though," I sputtered, watching her recoil back. "Her father told her that you died," I watched as tears began to spring to her eyes, her mouth twisted in a gut-wrenching frown. "That would explain why she never came to see me..." Synthella whispered in a sad voice before lifting her head up, her face dripping with venomous anger. She grabbed at the bars, shaking them, and I stared, watching her intensely. "That damn Lucifer." She hissed darkly and I waited for her horns to grow and her skin to darken like a normal demon would when angered, but the halo around her head just gradually lightened.

"How long has it been?" She asked in a hoarse voice and I was unsure of what she was asking me. "Tell me," She took a deep breath. "How old is my precious Natanya?" Her voice hung low with a whimper and I was almost afraid to answer. "I don't know because demon years are weird," Synthella's eyes went extraordinarily wide as she let go of the bars to clutch her chest. "But as a human, I'd say she's 18." I shrugged and she let out a wail, blue tears cascading down her face.

"No, no no, my sweet baby, a demon," She lamented and I took a step back, wondering if this lady was on some intense demon drugs. "It's been 18 years since I last held you..." She wept and I blinked, wondering how the fuck she was kept down here for so long. "Were you," I took a deep breath, unsure of why it hurt to ask this question. "Were you Maddox's wife?" She tilted her head in confusion, narrowing her eyes. "Who is this person you speak of?" She asked, trying to stand up, the sound of bones cracking.

"I only know Lucifer." I was completely dumbfounded for a moment. "But didn't you just take his last name or am I missing something?" She shook her head. "That was the last name that was given to me when I married Lucifer." My mind was reeling with all of this confusion. She had absolutely no clue who the hell Maddox was, but she knew of Lucifer Kane, it seemed. I had to get to the bottom of this and figure out why she was still alive and why Maddox lied.

"Then why are you in here?" Synthella fixed me with a cautious stare, sniffing the air as if she could smell my true intentions. She looked pitiful and I almost felt bad for her. "I don't even know you," She spoke in almost a clean and foreign accent that made it hard for me to understand a singular word that she was saying. "You don't," I replied casually and she leaned against the bar, tears falling from her eyes.

"The man that I loved put me in here," She whispered sadly. "He just wanted me to create a child for him and after she was born, he ripped her away from me and threw me in here to rot away," I blinked, wondering if she was indeed telling the truth, but the look in her eyes told me not to assess her words. "Though as an angel, I cannot die," Synthella murmured and some things were starting to make even more sense.