22.

I was playing with Maddox Jr. when the door to my bedroom opened all of a sudden.

"Who's a good boy?" I ruffled the puppy's cheeks, loving the way that he barked so happily. He made me feel important and he was all a person needed. "Oh shit," The door slammed opened and the dog jumped into my arms in fright as I looked up, seeing the damn idiot lord standing there in a casual pair of sweatpants and a black shirt, a neutral expression donning his face.

I hadn't seen him in the span of two days, so during those days, I spent my time with Availa, Lexica, Jade, Avery, and the kids that seemed to be so stuck on me. I couldn't deny that I felt affection for them too. They were a light of life in this dark place and they took my mind off what I couldn't figure out. Jade was such a blessing to be here. She made my life a lot easier and bearable despite her consistent nagging on the way that I talked to Maddox.

"How may I help you, Sir Alistair?" I stated politely, bowing my head like the rest of his underlings would. I had resigned to this treatment because I felt like it and it was annoying enough to try to be his friend if he didn't trust me. Sure, he had his reasons, but I had never given him a reason not to trust me and confide in me and quite frankly, it stung like a bitch.

"Don't call me that, Troy," There was a deep frown on his lips and I snorted. "Don't even talk like that. It isn't you," I snorted once again, letting the dog go roam around as I stood up with ease. "There's no need for you to bow your head to me," Maddox stepped in the room, cracking his neck as the door closed behind him. It felt extremely odd to be in the same room with him, to have his eyes scoping out my entire figure so shamelessly because I couldn't tell what he was thinking.

I opened my mouth to retort but I closed it quickly, reminding myself of my place. "What is it that you came here for?" I folded my arms and sat down on my bed, watching him walk over to stare out of the window. He looked so deep in thought and he looked totally anguished like a lot was weighing on him, so for that reason and that reason only, I kept my mouth shut and waited for him to say something. 

Maddox took a deep breath and clenched his tan fists, his stubble coated jawline tightening. "...so I assume that you know the truth about us." He began and I furrowed my brows. "What do you mean? The fact that you weren't born a demon? Yes, everyone seems to remember that part," I muttered vaguely and he nodded, telling me that the rumor was indeed true. The sky outside of the world slowly blackened as he let out another breath, controlling the sky with his emotions. 

"We were never demons from the start. This place never even existed. This place was only created for the angels that have sinned," I listened intently, hearing him talk about angels. "Long, long ago, three hundred years ago, there was another dimension created that resided on the skies above. It was called the paradise of Eden," Maddox's eyes drifted to the sky above Hell. "You mean above Earth?" He nodded in response and it was mind-boggling because it was starting to sound like something from the Bible. 

"It was a beautiful land, white everywhere. There was white water that flowed across the entire region. It was extremely beautiful Troy, because it was home to me. Well, it was once upon a time," He clicked his teeth and turned on his heel, fixated his stare on me as he walked over to me. "My real name isn't Maddox Kane. That is just the name that I took in order to be relieved of my sin," Maddox took a seat next to me, his voice low. "It was Lucifer." He confessed and I nodded, knowing the next question that I was going to ask. 

"And what was your sin?"

His gold stare turned red as his reluctant hand reached for mine, intertwining our fingers together. I guessed that it was some sort of comfort for him. He looked at me and took a deep sigh as if it was something he hadn't talked about in years. He looked away from me and stared at the floor. "I was turning thirty-one and the king of Eden, Tion Vandenrei, decided to host a banquet for me in the palace as I was his most trusted angel guardian. At the time, he had two princesses, but only one was eligible for the throne." He explained, looking crestfallen.