42.

"Fuck..." I grumbled as another wave of cramps shot through my stomach. The physician said that they would be coming a lot more because it was my body's way of preparing for the birth itself. Since I wasn't a demon, my body was rearranging itself so that the baby was able to be cut out of my stomach.

Obviously, I couldn't push or shit him out because my body just wouldn't grow the organs necessary, so that was the next best option.

But damn, did it hurt like hell.

We knew that the baby was coming, but we didn't know when, which was scary in itself because Maddox still was the ruler of Earth. He had many things to tend to and many holes to fix and while he wanted me to be apart of fixing said holes, I was literally unable. A few days after Hannah and we signed the treaty, my feet started to swell and I was unable to walk. The doctor told me to stay in bed and I looked at him as if he was crazy. Did he know who he was speaking to?

As if I would stay down just because of a pair of swollen feet.

Like a demon in disguise, the baby increased in size, making my stomach look like a giant mutated watermelon, putting more pressure on my feet. It was to the point where if I wanted to even move a toe, my whole body started to hurt. This baby was doing it on purpose and I had to rely on Maddox to carry me everywhere, much to my dismay. He enjoyed it though, said it made him feel strong.

What an idiot. "Rub harder," I groaned, seeing that big tanned hand on my tummy. "This is all your fault," I hissed, feeling the urge to smack my hand upside his black hair-covered head. "I know, baby," Maddox said, but I didn't hear the remorse or the regret in his tone. He didn't sound compassionate at all, and I could practically see the shit-eating grin on his face. "I'll gladly spend all my life making it up to you," I rolled my eyes as I shifted myself up against the pillow, ignoring the kisses of relief that the demon lord was placing on my stomach.

"Do you really mean that, Sir Alistair?" I mocked, internally laughing at the way he shot his head up, his eyes darkening with a scowl. He really hated it when I called him that, so I used it to make fun of him or to chastise him when I was really pissed at him, which wasn't often. Surprisingly, he did well to make sure that I was always in a good mood around him.

Dick.

"Fine, fine," I put my hands up in surrender, succumbing to the fear of what he would do to me if I didn't take it back. "Maddox. You happy now?" I rolled my eyes and he nodded like the puppy lord that he was, moving Maddox Jr. onto the floor as he stood up, cracking his neck. For someone whose birthday was approaching, he didn't look nor act his age. He was a stuck-up pompous bastard when we first met but now, he was like a little kid.

"The hell?" I grumbled when Maddox Jr. started barking at something in the corner, growls and whimpers coming out simultaneously. "See what he's barking at," I pointed at him and Maddox went to go look, stopping once he was halfway in his stead. 

I groaned as a cramp tightened up the interior of my stomach, trying to move so that it wouldn't spread. This baby was not helping at all, moving as I did. "What's wrong?" I murmured, sweat forming on my forehead as I looked over to see what Maddox was staring at. His eyes were wide and I could see him trembling just a bit as he lifted up a finger, pointing to the corner. I lifted myself up as much as I could, fighting the urge to laugh when I saw what he was looking at.

Creeping up the wall was probably the hairiest tarantula that ever existed in Hell, its eyes blinking once it realized that Maddox was staring at it in fear.

"AH!" Maddox screeched and I nearly fell off the bed with a howl of laughter. I clutched my stomach, tears threatening to leave my eyes as he stepped backward, and that was when it happened.