6.

It was a cold and rainy March, just like it was last year.

"When's your birthday?" I grimaced as I turned to face Natanya. "March 23rd," I stated casually and her eyes widened. "That's literally in three weeks!" She screeched and I nodded, unsure of what the big deal was. I didn't celebrate it for the last four years so why would I now? I had nothing feasible to wish for. I didn't look forward to eternal happiness like some people did. I just survived on a daily basis and hoped that I would wake up the next day.

"B-but that's such a special occasion," Natanya whispered, looking discouraged. "It's to express happiness that you get to live another year, you know, the glory and recognition that this day was dedicated to you," She fumbled with her fingers and I found myself stopping her from doing that. "Yea, I used to think that a long time ago when I had people who genuinely cared," I objected sharply, small memories of my parents flashing through my mind. "Now that they're gone, what do I need to celebrate it for? It means nothing to me if I still gotta live in this shit world," I hated that I always had something negative to say about something, but it was the absolute truth and nothing but.

Why the hell would I be happy about having to withstand another year in this place?

She got quiet, flipping through the sheets of music as I sat behind the counter. "When's your birthday?" I mumbled, watching her eyes light up as she grinned. "September 5th," With a flip of her hair, she cheesed as she sauntered over to me. "What's your favorite color?" She shot back and I shrugged, never having really thought about it. "Red? I dunno. I seem to wear it a lot," I looked at my outfit, seeing the ripped jeans and red shirt. "You?" I flicked my gaze back up to her, playing around with the bracelet on my wrist.

I wasn't too sure if we could wear jewelry or not, but even so, I was going to. This bracelet was the last thing Maria Morelli gave me.

"Mama," I poked her on the side, watching the brown-haired middle-aged woman leaned down, her eyes crinkling into her fair skin as she pulled at my cheek. "What is it, my baby?" She held her arms out and I ran into them, not feeling any type of weird that I was thirteen and my mother was holding me. Her arms were the best place for me because it was soothing and it kept me calm and humble.

"What is that thing around your arm?" I pointed to the gold and silver band donning her wrist. "You always wear it," My mother chuckled as she sat down on the bench in front of our quaint house, pulling me next to her. "This here is a little something that your grandmother gave to me," She twisted it around, looking at her. I didn't know what happened to Nana, but my mother didn't like to talk about it. "She gave me this as a way to remember her because there was no way that I would forget her if I looked at this," Her voice cracked but she smiled nonetheless. "Oh," I hummed as she turned to me. "That's sweet,"

Maria grinned, wrapping her arm around my shoulders. "Do you like it?" She suddenly asked and I ran a hand through my hair, furrowing my brow in confusion. "I mean, I guess, mama? Why do you ask?" My mother stared at me with big eyes, a smile gracing her lips as she slowly undid the bracelet. "Well, I've been thinking about it for a while," She looked as if she contemplating something. "My mom gave me this for me to remember her," She placed the trinket in my open palm. 

"Now I'm giving to you as a way to remember me," I clutched the jewels, wondering what she meant by that. "What are you talking about?" I frowned. "You know I'll always remember you, mama," I replied with a pout, watching her chuckle quietly to herself. "I could never forget you," I meant that. She was the mother that any child could've ever asked for. She was everything to me and because of that, I would never forget her.

"Ah, you really are such a good son," She rubbed the back of my neck, leaning forward to kiss me on the forehead. "Just like your daddy," She whispered and I found myself happy with that fact. I loved my parents more than anything in the world. "But are you saying that something will happen to you?" I murmured and Maria shook her head vehemently. "No. No. That's not what I'm saying at all, Troy," She took my hand in hers, rubbing it. "I'm just saying that no matter what, come hell or high water, always look to this to remember me. Remember all of the moments that we have shared. Remember the way I used to tuck you at night when you were scared of the monster under your bed. Remember all of your birthday parties and the gifts you used to get." I smirked.