Chapter 1 In Our Hearts (Hiccup POV)

This is New Berk, home of the dragon riders of yore. They met not be with us in body any more, but they will always be in our hearts. Who am I? I'm Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third, chief of New Berk. The Alpha, the king of the dragons was my best bud in the while world. And though I miss him, it has been a great honor to be a chief of my own, just as he is chief of his kind in the Hidden world. That ever reminds me that we have more than just that in common, we both have at our sides strong warriors to keep our backs.

Ah Astrid,... My beloved Astrid. I don't know what I would do without her. Together we have ruled New Berk for fourteen incredible years. She has been by my side in everything and to tell you the truth I couldn't do any of this without her.

But that is not all that has happened to me in the last fourteen years since the dragons left. Since then Astrid has given me the joy of being the proud father of two amazing children, my spirited daughter Zephyr, and my daredevil son Nuffink. These two further make my life here bright and full of purpose! Having a tribe to chief and a wife to cherish and children to raise has not left me without something to do and I am overjoyed to serve in that capacity.

"Hhhhhhraaaah!" Buzzes in my ears interrupting my thoughts. I turn around and in the ground at my feet is an axe, struck into the ground and twenty yards away is my beautiful wife in battle stance.

"Good morning m'lady" I laugh plucking her axe from the ground and twirling it in my grasp.

"Morning chief." She says strolling towards me.

"You know you have impeccable timing." I say as she comes closer and I walk to greet her, "I was just thinking about you."

"Oh were you?" She asks, "Did I interrupt you."

"Don't worry about it I say as we meet." With a grin flick her axe behind me.

"Hiccup! What was that for?" She cries in Astrid-like way.

"Because," I reply nonchalantly, "I wanted my hands free." And I pull my beautiful bride into my arms. I look into her blue eyes, ever sparkling with adventure before I kiss her lips.

"Ewwwwww!" comes a voice from in the trees. Astrid and I pull back and laugh.

"Nuff!" I call. "Come out. There's no use hiding anymore!"

"You too Zeph!" Shouts Astrid with a grin on her face.

Our two little spies come out from behind the trees with the most sheepish expressions on their faces

"How can you guys do something so gross?" says Nuffink wrinkling his nose.

"Aw lay off, Nuffink." says Zephyr, "That's what they're supposed to do."

"She's right Nuffink." I add, "People do crazy things when they're in love." I pull my wife closer.

"Hiccup!" she exclaims

""What?" I ask, "I'm crazy in love with you!"

She smiles, "And I'm crazy in love with you, Knucklehead!" and she leans in as we kiss again.

"I give up!" Nuffink says throwing his hands in the air.

"I think it's sweet." Zephyr says with a sigh.

"Oh yeah?" I ask. "Well now it's your turn!" I pick her up and swing her around and give my sweet daughter a peck on the forehead. "I love you too my baby girl!" I say with a smile.

"Oh Daddy!" Zephyr cries, "I'm not a baby anymore."

"I know." I reply. " But you'll always be my baby girl." Meanwhile, Nuffink is looking at us in horror.

"Oh, don't think you've escaped young man!" I say releasing Zephyr!"

"Ahhhhhh!" he cries, but I catch him before he can get away.A bit more on the rough side as opposed to my hug for Zephyr I give my nine year old son a firm hug and ruffling my fingers through his hair i give him a kiss through his long blonde locks.

"Ewwwww!" he cries. "Aw Dad, you're worse than Mom!"

"Oh, I don't know about that!" says Astrid stepping forward.

"Okay, okay!" he screams, "Can that be enough for now."

Astrid laughs her pretty laugh. "Okay, but expect a big one on the cheek later!"

Nuffink moans.

"Nuff, that's just our way of saying we love you... very much." I affirm giving my son a hug.

"Aw okay." he replies. "Well, I love you too."

I give him a light punch in the shoulder. "Ah!" he exclaims in surprise. "Now that's more like it!"

I love my children so much! I don't know what I would do without them. Zephyr and her instinctiveness reminds me so much every day of myself and Nuffink's daredevil personality always being ready for anything reminds me so much of his mother, my Astrid.

Astrid casts a warm smile at me from where she stands hugging our daughter. With a warm glance back I say silently. "I love you."