Part 50 Found - Astrid POV

"Alright you New Berkians, war is now upon us! Are you ready?!" I cry to the crowd which I am preparing to lead into battle in the absence of my husband. They cry back with the Hooligan war cry so load that my ears are throbbing. I cry with them and my inner Hofferson is bursting out of me.

Suddenly, something catches my eye... something flying. It's a dragon! There is a white dragon that looks like a light fury soaring in the sky above us. But it's not a light fury. I can see specks of black on the graceful creature on its tail, feet and head. I also notice something that surprises me beyond words. This dragon has a rider.

The dragon comes circling down closer to the ground as if to land but it doesn't quite land... it crashes and tumbles toward us and comes rolling to a stop in the dust. New Berkians begin to wander over to the creature but she sits up defensively. However, she seems to be covering something with her wings.

I make my way through the crowd to the creature. If I can train her then maybe she will uncover her rider who I'm sure is injured. In the meanwhile, I am not unaware that this has Zephyr and Nuffink written all over it.

I am breathing heavy and tears are in my eyes. I get to the front of the crowd and I hold out my hand to the dragon. She defends her rider but when I close my eyes I can feel her scales against my skin. I open my eyes, and there, uncovered by the dragon, curled up in a little ball is my Nuffink.

I rush in to pull him into my arms. I puck up the blonde boy and begin to cry. "Oh Nuffink! Thank Thor you're okay! Oh sweet boy it's all right. You're home now. It's okay honey, Mommy's here!"

Nuffink sobs in my arms. He clings to me tightly, so tightly in fact that my arms are hurting from him clutching onto them. "Oh Mommy!" he cries, "I feel so terrible! I let everyone down!"

My heart aches to see my boy in tears and so brokenhearted. As a mom I feel like I have to pick up all the broken pieces. I feel like I have to soothe and mend all the wounds. I feel like have to heal all the heartache and it really hurts when sometimes I can't.

I just sit there for a while with him in my arms and for some reason I don't really mind that all of New Berk has their eyes on me. I am a mother and all I care about in this moment is my child... my lost but now FOUND child! Oh what Hiccup wouldn't give to see his son right now.