Part 48 Home - Nuffink POV

My chest is heaving and my heart is heavy. I wipe a tear from my face as I ride back to New Berk. This dragon really should be back in the hidden world but I need to get home somehow. Home. That's all I want is to be home. I never should have left it. I should have just stayed home and been plain old boring Nuffink. That's all I'll ever be good at. Who was I kidding? I could never be anything special and I definitely can't ever be like my Daddy. Oh how he'll be so disappointed in me. I can't be the son he probably wanted.

The sun is setting and I can see New Berk in the distance. The green of its hills gleams in the falling sun. Its rugged and towering cliffs chant the echoes of the waves as they crash against the island's base. The black emanating from the forests makes me shiver and further sink into my despair.

I come close to my home island and prepare to land... As if I knew how to do that. Ah who cares I can't do it anyway. We kind of tumble to a landing and I can hear gasps if astonishment. I realize the people of New Berk haven't really seen dragons in a long time and I understand.

I lay on the ground as I have fallen off Dawn and my head is hurried between my arms. I'm too humiliated and defeated to get up or look around me. I can feel the rumblings of people rushing toward me and I hear Dawn's growl and I can sense the shadow of her wing over my body. She's trying to protect me.

I finally decide to look up... And there's my mom holding out her hand to the young dragon just like Daddy would. Dawn purrs as she contemplates what Mom is doing.

"That's it." Mom says softly. "It's okay. Just let me see my son. It's okay I'm not gonna hurt him, or you."

"Dawn pulls back her wing and sits down by me putting her head down skeptically.

My mom moves very slowly as not to startle my protector but as soon as she gets to me she scoops me up in her arms and starts crying.

"Oh Nuffink! I'm so glad you're okay! How are you here!? You're home you're all right!" She is smothering me with kisses and showering me with her tears.

Then she looks at me. "Where's Zephyr?"