6 - Bet Collection

I refused to let myself get sucked in any further by the story and resisted looking at it for over a week. I might have stayed strong except the guys in the studio were betting on when someone's pregnant wife would pop.

I was trying to rework some lyrics in my notebook but thoughts of another bet kept intruding. What movie had story-me chosen after winning the crib bet?

"Shit's not real, it doesn't matter," I muttered.

"What?" One of the guys looked over. "You want in on the bet?"

"Nah, just talkin' to myself," I answered.

There's a good idea - tell them you're wasting time on some chick in a story that's probably not even real. 'Cause they don't think your taste in women is fucked up enough already. I rubbed my hand over my face. She's most likely just another cheating whore, if she's real at all.

I wrote another couple words down, then stared at the page. I finally threw my pen down in disgust and grabbed my phone. I wasn't getting shit done until I read the stupid story. Clicking the link I read the next part.

I was having a good day. Things were coming together for a few upcoming shows. Writing had been going well and I was ahead of schedule for my next album. I decided to make the day even better.

     M: I wanna collect on our bet

     C: You're claiming your unfair win?

     M: Yup

     C: When?

     M: Tonight?

     C: Sure. Come over after work

     C: What's the movie?

     M: Why? Ya gonna cancel if ya don't like my choice?

     C: Feel like I should start mentally preparing now

     C: But I like your idea better

     M: Relax. I'm going comic book hero not porn

     C: Honestly not sure which is worse...

     M: If ya want porn, that can be arranged

     C: Nope! I'm good

     M: That's what I thought

I laughed as I went back to work.

That evening I grabbed Chelsea in a hug as I walked into her apartment. Starving, I suggested we order pizza right away. Then we sat down on the couch to wait for delivery.

"So what movie are we watching?" she asked.

"Black Panther. It's a travesty you've never seen it."

"I like the soundtrack."

"So do I. Ken did an amazing job," I nodded.

"I suppose it's not the worst movie to have to see. Kind of you, considering you cheated," she said.

"I didn't cheat! You're just a sore loser," I reached over and tickled her.

"Stop! Cheater!" she laughed, pushing me away.

"You ever cheat in a relationship?" I asked suddenly.

She was silent for a moment.

"I'll take that as a yes," I sat back and looked away. I'd hoped she was different.

"I won't lie to you. So if you ask me a question, you have to be prepared for the answer."

"I got my answer."

"Did you? Because I haven't said anything. But if you're happy with that..." She reached for the remote and turned on the TV. "You wanna watch the news?"

After a couple minutes I couldn't take her silence.

"I was disappointed okay? I thought a girl like you wouldn't cheat."

"Two things," she said hitting mute on the remote. "First, a girl like me? What's that mean?"

"Nice, normal, shit together," I shrugged.

"That's ridiculous. Anyone can cheat, even nice people," she said. "Second, you don't get to be disappointed in my answer when you never let me answer."

"Fine. I'm listening."

"I cheated once in my late thirties. I had been with a guy for a couple of months when an ex came through town and wanted to spend the night. I reasoned I had been cheated on by boyfriends since I was 19 and I'd never cheated. Everyone was doing it, why shouldn't I? So I did."

"Yeah –" I started to say but she cut me off.

"I'm not finished," she said holding up a hand. "My boyfriend at the time never found out, there was no drama or hurt feelings, I didn't even tell my friends until years later. But I knew. I had broken the trust of someone I cared about. I felt shitty and had a hard time looking in the mirror. That's not the kind of person I want to be. So regardless of how many other people are cheating, I'll never do it again, to anyone. That's my answer. So if you want to judge me, go ahead."

She sat back and glared at me. Whether it was her answer, her anger or the combination, I'd never wanted her more. I pulled her to me and kissed her.

"No judgement. God knows I'm no saint."

"So what's up with the attitude?" she asked.

I blew out a breath. "That shit has really messed me up in the past. Distrust, suspicion, worry, anger, heartache... I don't ever want to go through that again."

She gently stoked my cheek. "I'm not perfect, but I'd never intentionally hurt you."

Thankfully her phone rang announcing the pizza's arrival and I didn't have to answer. We helped ourselves to pizza and settled back on the couch with our plates.

"Alright let's get this over with," she grumbled and put on the movie.

When we'd finished eating and were about halfway through, she started to run her hand up and down my thigh.

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing," she smiled up at me.

"Uh huh." I grabbed her hand and held it in mine, continuing to watch the movie. She snuggled closer and kissed my neck.

"Watch the movie Chelsea," I growled.

"What if I want to do other stuff?"

"Nope. A bet's a bet." I stared straight ahead at the movie, wondering how far she'd push.

She sat back and turned from me to the TV and back again, as if debating what to do. I tried to keep a straight face. Then she placed her hands on my shoulders and straddled my lap facing me.

"You can't watch the movie that way," I said.

"That's the idea," she leaned forward and kissed me.

I resisted kissing her back and lightly rested my hands on her hips. She moved back down to my neck while pulling up my t-shirt. She ran her hands over my chest and began grinding herself against my lap. I wasn't sure how much longer I could hold back. She pulled the t-shirt over my head and tossed it.

"You're playing a dangerous game," I cautioned.

"Yeah?"

She lowered her mouth to my chest, tongue flicking my nipple. That broke my resolve. I pushed down hard on her hips while thrusting upwards at the same time. She gasped and her head snapped up to look at me. I pulled her t-shirt over her head and tossed it aside. Pushing her back onto the couch I moved over her, nipping at her neck and kissing my way downwards.

"This what you wanted?" I asked, looking up at her.

"Yes," she whispered.

I continued kissing the swell of her breasts, so sexy in a mauve lace bra. Through the fabric I could see her rigid nipples and I bit one gently.

"Oh!"

I moved back up to her mouth, enjoying the feeling of her bare skin against mine. She ran her nails lightly down my back and up my arms. After a long kiss I rested my forehead on hers and smiled.

"We may have to only watch movies you don't want to from now on."

What. The. Actual. Fuck?! I think about whether she's ever cheated and the next bit is about whether she's ever cheated? What was this? Some weird mind meld? I looked around. It was hard to believe she wasn't listening in on my thoughts.

Chill with the paranoid shit. Think it through logically. You made no secret of the fact Kim cheated on you and how angry you were. So any chick writing relationship shit about you will know cheating's a touchy subject for you. It makes sense to include it in the story. The timing is just coincidence.

I reread her answer. She was right again - I was looking for someone who'd never cheated. I thought that was the best way to find a loyal chick and avoid going through that shit ever again. But thinking it over, I liked that she had screwed up and made the decision to never do it again because it made her feel crappy about herself. That might even be better ... Because I felt the same. I didn't like who I was when I'd cheated either. I wanted a relationship without cheating, on both sides.

I wondered if I could find her, see if she's for real?

If the person is based on the character, I have to use the character details to find the person. So what do I know about the character? I flicked back through the chapters for anything useful.

Cute, blonde, short, smart and funny - all good but nothing specific or distinctive. Drove to see me perform in Auburn, WA plus she mentioned pacific time - that puts her on the West Coast. But the story takes place in Detroit so maybe she lives here now? Which means the West Coast doesn't help. What else? She mentioned giving legal advice - a lawyer? Or at least working in the legal field? No way is that enough to find a single fucking female.

"Whatcha reading?" Porter dropped down onto the couch beside me.

"Nothin," I closed the story quickly.

"C'mon. Somethin' got ya twisted up over here."

"It's nothing!" I couldn't tell him I was still reading the fan fiction story.

I seriously needed to let this go. Nothing but humiliation and disappointment could come from this. Later I sent the damn story link email back to the trash can.