13 - Gone

I was in a meeting about artwork when I glanced down at my phone on the table and saw a text from Kurt. I frowned as I read it.

     K: The story's gone

What was he talking about? What did he mean it was gone? Ignoring the people around me I picked up my phone and opened my email.

"Marshall? What do you think – "

"Sorry, hold on a second," I said as I clicked the link and the page loaded.

The account was still there. But all the story chapters had been removed. In its place was a single item titled 'Apology.' I opened it.

I wrote the story as an escape from my life and to maybe brighten the lives of a few others. It was never my intention to anger or upset anyone. I'm truly sorry. Happily fading back into anonymity now.

"I'm sorry," I said to those around the table. "Something's come up. I have to go." I grabbed my hoodie off the chair and headed down to IT.

It was gone. She was gone. Despair twisted in my gut.

"Kurt! What the fuck happened?" I yelled as I burst in the room.

"Did you see it? The Apology?" he asked not looking up from his laptop where he was typing frantically.

"Yeah I saw it," I collapsed into the chair beside his desk. "The fuck? Why are you smiling?"

"Someone told her. Someone I talked to knows who she is."

"I'm not following you," I leaned forward, hope resurfacing. "Explain."

"I reached out to several IT guys in Vancouver. Everyone denied knowing who she might be or how to find her." Kurt finally looked up from the laptop. "So why take down the story all of a sudden? Why post an apology now? Especially the line – 'happily fading back into anonymity'?"

"Someone told her we were looking for her," I said, catching on.

"Exactly," Kurt nodded. "I'm going over my emails with the Vancouver guys now, looking for something I missed the first time. Then I'm going to call each of them."

I left Kurt with instructions to call me as soon as he knew anything. I had to get out of that room or I'd be riding his ass and driving us both crazy.

Damn it! Why didn't this woman want to be found? Why'd she pull the story?

Yesterday I thought the worst thing that could happen was the writer turned out not to be like the Chelsea character. Today I knew it would be a thousand times worse to never find her at all. At least if I found her and she wasn't who I thought, I'd be disappointed, but I could deal and put it behind me. But to forever wonder what if ... that would be torture. My obsessive nature would never let this go.

I was frustrated and didn't think the gym would help today. Too many pent up emotions. I needed another kind of release and pulled out my phone.

     M: I need to see you

     S: When?

     M: Now

     S: It's the middle of the afternoon! I'm at work

     M: So?

I knew she'd make it happen.

     S: My place. 30 minutes

     M: Good

I told my assistant I had some errands to run and headed out. Twenty minutes later I pulled up to her house and walked in.