26

^^^^^

' ...one good reason why I shouldn't spit in your face. '

^^^^^

The house was quiet, lifeless. It made Eden uncomfortable as she looked around her childhood home to find it so dead. Not that it wasn't before. But, her mother was rushing to cook a meal in the kitchen, dust lined the banisters and shelves and nothing seemed to have moved an inch. She sat stiff on a stool in the kitchen, watching her mother work in a fluster; trying to cook her something as she arrived unannounced.

'Mum, I don't want food. I just want to talk,' She pressed.

'Nonsense,' Mary waved her off; 'The best way to talk is over food.'

'I don't want food, Mum! I want to know why you're getting that bastard out of prison?'

Her mother stopped then, leaning forward onto the bench with her eyes shut. Eden watched closely, eyes flicking over her slim figure.

'Because I'm lonely,' Mary finally said softly.

'You're lonely... So you're bringing back the very man that tried to kill your daughter, not once, but twice, because you're fucking lonely. Jesus Christ,' She sneered as she stood.

'Don't go.'

'Give me one good reason why I shouldn't spit in your face and walk right out that door.'

'Because I missed you, Eddy. I call you, all the time. But, you're always out, or at work, or sleeping-'

'Or maybe I just don't want to talk to you.'

Mary's face fell as she stared at her daughter, who's face was hard and eyes filled with anger. Her lower lip trembled lightly as she tried to keep herself together, tears welling in her eyes.

'If I were you, Mum,' Eden spoke lowly; 'I'd skip town... Once he's out. Because he's going to kill you for letting him stay in there for so long... I don't want to see you hurt.'

'Why would you care?' She croaked in an attempt to hide her feelings.

'Because I love you, Mum, even if you don't love me... Get out of town. I'll deal with Silas when he gets home.'

The girl turned away, snatching her keys from the bench as she went. She strode out of the house, clenching her eyes shut as she heard her mother's soft sobs behind her.

^^^^^

Karen Wheeler groaned when she saw Eden enter the pool, 'She's here.'

The women sitting either side of her looked toward the entrance of the pool, letting out disgusted sounds at the sight of Eden. The blonde passed by them, crossing the concrete surrounding the pool, stealing one of the rare pool chairs that was free.