viii. the pollywog

chapter eight
the pollywog

 "HELLO DADDY, HELLO MOM. . . I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch, cherry bomb!"

 The lyrics slipped from their lips, jumping around and skipping to the song they listened to not too long ago. With their hands intertwined together, flashing their matching nail polish, Rue and Max walked to school together from their sleepover.

 Despite Max's protests, the two shared Rue's bed. At first, they were on their backs, inches away from each other as they stared at the dark roof. That only lasted for a few minutes before they said fuck it. Rue had her head snuggled by Max's shoulder, and her nose would brush by her neck every once in a while. Max didn't seem to mind because every time she would pull Rue closer, wrapping her arms around the girl's waist.

 Since neither of them knew how to cook, they decided cereal for breakfast would be fine. After getting changed with the loud music of The Runaways, Max and Rue were off for another school day.

 Rue held onto her bike with her free hand, watching as Max nodded her head to the nonexistent music. Butterflies were set loose in her tummy at the sight of the girl wearing her clothes. Max rocked Rue's yellow sweater, and the girl couldn't help but think that she should let Max keep it. It looked better on her anyway.

 She chewed on her lip to suppress her smile from growing more. Rue looked down at her shoes; she wore low green converse, baggy blue jeans, a brown shirt that belonged to her mother in the 70s and a green hoodie to match her shoes. Max had chosen her outfit, making sure Rue got the point that earthy colours looked best on her, green and brown particularly.