Chapter Four

"Catch, Moonkit!" Meowed Hickorykit, tossing the ball of moss to her sister.

Moonkit reared on her hind legs, swatting at the clump of bedding that came from Milkstrike's nest. As the soft moss left her paw pad, she realized that it was heading for Shredkit.

"Look out!" Squeaked Hickorykit, seeing with wide eyes as it hit the she-cat in the back of the head.

Shredkit spun around and snarled at the two playing kits, eyes furious. "Watch it, mouse-brains!" She hissed, flying at the two and tackling Hickorykit.

Moonkit shrieked and felt a wave of protection wash over her at the sight of Shredkit's unsheathed claws and ran at the older kit, knocking her off her sister.

"Get away from her, fox-face!" Spat Moonkit, glaring at Shredkit as she rose to her paws. "I'll tell Blackstrike you've been attacking Hickorykit!" She threatened, tail lashing.

The older kit snorted and batted the kit away, towering over her. "I'll be an apprentice tomorrow, kit," Shredkit smirked at the look of sheer terror on the young kit's face. "I'll take DawnClan by storm when tomorrow comes, you can be sure of that."

With a sigh, Moonkit scrambled to her paws and padded over to Hickorykit, sniffing her. "Are you okay?" She asked, worried.

Her shaken sister nodded, though she looked slightly angered. "Yeah, but Shredkit is so mean!" She mewed, stubby tail lashing. "Hollowkit, Icekit, and Brightkit are much nicer!"

"I agree, and Hollowkit is so handsome." Moonkit meowed, thinking fondly of the black tom. She snapped out of her trance when Crowleap, her father, padded inside.

"Come on, you two." The sandy tom ordered sternly, tail flicking for his children to follow. "Some sunshine won't kill you two and the nursery is really stuffy."

Hickorykit and Moonkit collectively sighed and nodded, following him outside. Instantly, the sun blinded Moonkit, making her screw her eyes shut before they could adjust.

When she did open her eyes, Moonkit saw Dewstar and her deputy, Frostsky, laying in the sun with their tails twined. She gagged at the sight of them nuzzling closer to each other and looked away quickly.

"You're outside for once!" Meowed Blizzardflower, a senior warrior who Moonkit was sure was older than the Clan itself.

Shrewpelt, who was flirting with Flowersun, looked over and saw the two descendants of Milkstrike and Crowleap and turned away with a snort.

"Moonkit!" Called the medicine cat, Heatherspring. Moonkit felt a rush of excitement at the sight of the beautiful medicine cat and raced towards her, pressing herself against the she-cat.

"What can I help you with today, Heatherspring?" Asked the kit eagerly. "Does Darkwhisker have another cough? Or did Berrysquirrel step on another thorn?"

The she-cat smiled and laughed, guiding her inside the den where the smell of herbs greeted her. "Well, Leafnettle has been complaining about a cramp in his belly. I think he's eaten something rotten so we'll need to give him some yarrow." She meowed, angling her ears to the tabby tom laying in a nest, groaning in pain.

Moonkit nodded and rushed to the holes in the earth where the precious herbs were stored. After shuffling around for a moment, the kit found the jagged leaves of the yarrow stock.

Scrunching her nose to rid her nostrils of the strong scent, Moonkit trotted over to Leafnettle's nest and prodded his muzzle. "Eat these, Leafnettle, you'll feel better." She meowed, placing the herb down and watched as he lapped it up.

Leafnettle gagged and with a heave, there was a pile of slime and bits of a crow in front of him. He licked his lips, grimacing at the taste of what happened mere moments before. "Thanks, Moonkit." He meowed, rising to his paws. "I feel much better now, thanks."

"You're welcome!" Chirped the cream tabby she-kit as the tom left the den. She began to claw at the dirt, making a small hole where she got a little bit of moss from the nest and scooped the slime and crow pieces into the pit and buried it so it wouldn't stink.

"Good job, little one." Purred Heatherspring, who was watching her with pride. "Beetlestrike would've been very happy you like to treat other cats." She meowed, eyes misting at the mention of her dead mentor.

He had died when a tree fell while he and Heatherspring were gathering herbs by FireClan's territory. One had been dying and was very weak, StarClan had claimed him at the moment the tree crushed his spine.

"Moonkit!" Called Milkstrike, her mother. "Time for bed!" Moonkit raced out of the den after saying goodbye to Heatherspring and joined Hickorykit and Milkstrike as they entered the stuffy nursery.