Chapter Forty-One

As Iceblaze and his Clan returned to the camp, they saw Sorrelclaw and Ravensplash on guard duty. The two guards dipped their heads to the returning cats and shifted their gazes straight ahead.

The cats who were waiting for them to return turned their heads to greet the returning cats, their eyes flashing with relief and something Iceblaze couldn't quite put his paw on.

Wildthorn rushed out of his den, eyes flaring to life with sorrow and anxiety. "Froststar!" He meowed hurriedly, pushing passed the other warriors to get to the leader. "Hurry! It's Wolffur!"

Iceblaze's blood turned to ice and he raced passed his leader and the medicine cat and burst into the healer's den. His eyes widened at the sight of his father coughing hard and he shot to his side.

"Wolffur!" The tom meowed, nudging his father's muzzle. "A-are you okay?" Worry clouded Iceblaze's voice and eyes as tears began to form.

The senior warrior shuddered with the bout of sickness racking his body, leaving him frail and weak. Froststar and Wildthorn had entered the den shortly after Iceblaze did and watched with sorrow.

"I-Iceblaze..." The warrior wheezed, his eyes opening and, to Iceblaze's sorrow, were glazed with pain and illness. "I-I'm proud to call you my son." A tiny smile formed on his lips before he broke out into another coughing fit.

Softstream exploded into the den, startling Froststar, Wildthorn, and Iceblaze as she hurried over and crouched next to her kin.

"I-I am so proud of you two, my kits and descendants." Purred Wolffur, his glazed eyes shifting over to Softstream. "I-I know you will be the best warriors in the Clans..." Was the last thing the dying tom said to his kits before he closed his eyes and his flanks stilled.

Iceblaze lowered his ears as tears fell from his cheeks and rose to his paws. He turned to face his leader but ignored the medicine cat and Froststar as he left the den without a word.

The Clan was watching him when he set one paw into the clearing, their eyes searching his gaze.

Finding his voice, Iceblaze broke the news that broke his heart. "W-Wolffur is dead," he murmured.