Chapter Twenty-One

Lilyleaf laid in the sun with Waspsting lying beside her, both cats purring. 'At least we know newleaf is coming faster than the next leafbare.' She thought as her tail twined with Waspsting's.

She raised her head at the sound of Sweetstar leaping onto the Highrock and she sighed, wanting to lay in the sun all day with Waspsting.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather here to listen to my words!" The leader called, her amber eyes bright though she was yawning.

Lilyleaf pushed herself to her paws and so did Waspsting and together they padded towards the Highrock and sat side by side, heads angled up to watch Sweetstar.

"Where is Cloverwing?" She asked quietly, to which Waspsting answered by shrugging his shoulders. 'Birchrunner isn't here too,' she added silently but dismissed it.

"Clanmates, I am sorry to say that Cloverwing has died in her sleep because of an unknown cause." Sweetstar meowed sadly, eyes misting with sadness.

Many cats gasped, including Lilyleaf and Waspsting. Dead? She couldn't be dead! Lilyleaf looked at Sharpsnap, Cloverwing's son. He was staring at Sweetstar, fighting back tears as he lowered his gaze.

"I, Sweetstar, leader of FireClan, call upon my warrior ancestors and the spirit of Cloverwing so they may hear and approve my choice of who the next deputy will be." Sweetstar meowed, head raised to the sky as she spoke, her eyes closed. "The new deputy of FireClan will be Cloudrain."

"Cloudrain! Cloudrain! Cloudrain!" Chanted the Clan as the white she-cat rose to her paws and dipped her head.

"I am honored by your choice, Sweetstar." The she-cat meowed respectfully. "But I have to turn the position down, for I am too old and I wish to retire to the elders' den and for Mintpaw to get a younger mentor."

Mintpaw, who was sitting with Fernpaw and Eaglepaw, leaped to his paws. "Cloudrain, no!" He protested, eyes wide and lit with despair.

Cloudrain dipped her head solemnly and shook her head. "I'm sorry, Mintpaw, but I cannot continue training you as I am much too old." She turned her head to Sweetstar, tail tip twitching. "If that's alright with you, Sweetstar, I would like to retire."

Sweetstar, though looking sad from what Lilyleaf could see, nodded. "As you wish, my friend. Cloudrain, do you wish to cease doing your duties and live the life of an elder until you join StarClan?"

The elderly she-cat smiled softly before answering. "I do, Sweetstar."

Sweetstar dipped her head and continued. "Your Clan honors you and all the service you have given us. I call upon StarClan to give you many seasons of rest."

"Cloudrain! Cloudrain! Cloudrain!" The Clan chanted again, but they were of sorrow and joy.

"Now, I must choose a new deputy and mentors for Mintpaw and Fernpaw." Sweetstar turned her gaze from Cloudrain to her warriors, queens, and apprentices who straightened under her gaze. "Fernpaw, your new mentor will be Podheart. Mintpaw, your new mentor will be Lilyleaf."

Lilyleaf, shocked, rose to her paws and padded over to her new apprentice and touched noses with him. He smiled and Lilyleaf couldn't help but smile back before she turned away and padded back to Waspsting, who licked her ear.

"I, Sweetstar, leader of FireClan, call upon the spirits of my warrior ancestors and the spirit of Cloverwing so they may hear and approve my choice of FireClan's new deputy and possible future leader." The calico she-cat meowed. "The new deputy of FireClan will be Sparrowgorse."