Chapter Forty

Lilyleaf stared at the medicine cat among her, Iceblaze, and Kinksnow in shock. "Who is Shredfrost?" She asked, her eyes wide.

Moonswirl, her claws unsheathed, shot to her paws and tore across the clearing towards a dark brown tabby she-cat who was seemingly unaware of the attack.

Once she realized she was being charged at, it was too late. Moonswirl had her pinned to the ground with her claws digging into her fur and flesh. "Murderer!" Screeched the medicine cat.

"Moonswirl!" Gasped Lilyleaf and she pelted at the she-cat, pulling her away from Shredfrost by her scruff. "Have you gone mad?"

Shredfrost scrambled to her paws and glared at her attacker, her claws unsheathed. "Fool!" She spat, eyes ablaze. "I always knew you hated me for no reason!"

There was a pause before another cat shot to their paws, hissing, and spitting. "You tormented my sister and me as kits!" The cat padded towards Lilyleaf and Moonswirl, who was now glaring at Shredfrost. "You hated us for no reason!"

Shredfrost glared at the newcomer with hatred, tail lashing furiously. "Hollowhazel was a fool to take you as a mate, Hickorysnow!"

The she-cat, Hickorysnow, looked furious and crouched to leap at her Clanmate but was stopped by a yowl from Shadestar.

"Enough!" The she-cat snarled, glaring at the three cats while Lilyleaf sat back down beside Kinksnow and Iceblaze. The leader looked at the moon, which was hidden from the clouds. "This Gathering has come to an end."

As the other leaders murmured amongst each other and so did the other Clan cats, Shadestar lashed her tail and leaped down from her stone. The fuming leader gathered her Clan with a sweep of her bristling tail and stormed into the trees.

Moonswirl, Hickorysnow, and Shredfrost followed in the back, too aggravated and hissy to argue and fight with each other. 

Lilyleaf exchanged a glance with Kinksnow and Iceblaze, both of them looking amazed and shocked. "It has begun," she whispered before following her leader towards the woods FireClan owned.