Chapter Ten

Lilyleaf charged at a snarling dog who was tossing a young cat around viciously. Her claws sliced into its fur and tore the flesh below, making the animal snarl and let go of the cat.

"Lilyleaf and Birchrunner, flank the black and white one!" Called Sparrowgorse, eyes narrowed.

"Got it!" Birchrunner meowed and he and Lilyleaf swerved to the side and split, ending up on opposite sides of the black and white dog.

The bloody cat was lying motionless on the ground, scarcely breathing. Lilyleaf noticed he was around apprentice age and couldn't help but notice all the blood on his small body.

"Lilyleaf!" Yowled Podheart in warning, making Lilyleaf snap back to the battle. "Look out!"

The dog she and Birchrunner were flanking was running right at her, snarling and foam dripping from its mouth. Hissing, Lilyleaf lashed out with a paw of unsheathed claws and caught the dog on the muzzle.

Springing to the right to avoid the sloppy moving jaws, Lilyleaf saw Willowrunner get the apprentice-aged tom on her back and race away, Ryedust and Flameheart running after her.

A yowl errupted from Cloverwing as the deputy was thrown in the air and caught by the dog and shaken around. Lilyleaf watched in horror as the deputy's eyes rolled in the back of her head.

Calico fur flashed passed her and Sweetstar leaped onto the dog who was tearing Cloverwing apart. "Let her go!" She roared, slashing the dog's eye and biting its shoulder.

The dog howled in pain and released Cloverwing, the deputy making a thud as she hit the ground. Sweetstar snarled and lashed her tail at the dog, daring it to attack.

Standing between the dog and her deputy, Sweetstar hissed and flew out a paw if it got closer. Having enough of Sweetstar's games, the dog sank its teeth into her tail and threw her away.

"Sweetstar!" Yowled Lilyleaf, seeing her leader's back hit a tree and the rest of her hit the ground. The warrior looked around, panicking. 'Think!'

Baring her teeth, Lilyleaf threw her head up in a yowl. "FireClan!" She screeched. "Gather the badly wounded and retreat!" She ordered, racing towards Sweetstar and hauling the leader on her back. 

Podheart had Blossomflight on his back and fled the battle, Ryedust with a limp Cloverwing racing after him.

 Birchrunner was already gone and it was only Lilyleaf, Sweetstar, and the dogs left. Lilyleaf began to run, dodging the dogs who tried to go at her and her leader. 

She got one to recoil as she struck his nose and continued running until she was at the camp. Every cat turned their heads and gasped at the sight of Lilyleaf and Sweetstar as the warrior collapsed with the leader on her back.