Chapter Twenty-Five

The moon hung high over Moonswirl's head as she made her way towards the clearing where she had met Klip. She had been doing this for a few days since meeting the handsome loner: Leaving while every cat was asleep, meeting with Klip, and returning before dawn.

She grew to trust the patched loner and saw him as an escape from her duties as a medicine cat. When Moonswirl met with him, she felt a connection stronger than anything she had to her family, friends, and Clan.

"You made it again," purred the voice of the cat she met with every night. Klip was in the same tree he was when they first met. "How can you sleep when you go to your nest after meeting with me?" He teased, rising to his paws and leaped gracefully down.

The she-cat felt her body grow warm as he padded over and pressed against her. "I have my ways of getting enough sleep to last the day before I meet with you." She breathed, pressing her cheek against his neck fur, purring.

Without warning, Klip sprang on top of Moonswirl and pinned her to the ground, eyes dancing with amusement. "You're so soft and unsuspecting of everything." He purred, licking her cheek.

Nodding but not speaking, Moonswirl purred as Klip lowered himself to her level and her breath hitched. "I love you, Klip." Breathed the medicine cat apprentice as Klip chuckled.

"I love you too, Moonswirl."