Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Silverkit, from this moment on until you have earned your warrior name, your name will be Silverpaw. Your mentor will be Jumpstorm." Meowed the new leader, Shadestar. After Dewstar was killed mysteriously in the forest, her deputy became the leader.

Moonswirl sighed, her heart heavy as she looked around and spotted her kits sitting with their adopted siblings. A rush of pride swept the medicine cat off her paws at the sight of their groomed fur and bright eyes.

"Cinderkit, from this moment on until you have earned your warrior name, you will be known as Cinderpaw." Shadestar mewed and flicked a honey-colored ear. "Your mentor will be Hickorysnow."

Moonswirl watched as her sister nodded and touched noses with the apprentice, before sitting down next to Hollowhazel. The she-cat smiled softly as her kin pressed against the tom, who purred.

"Halfkit, Pikekit, Driftkit, Sunkit, Blackkit, Goldkit, and Woollykit, from this moment on until you all have earned your warrior names, you will be known as Halfpaw, Pikepaw, Driftpaw, Sunpaw, Blackpaw, Goldpaw, and Woollypaw." The leader paused, looking around to pick mentors.

Moonswirl held her breath as she named the cats. Fleetfur was given Halfpaw, Flowersun with Pikepaw, Jaggedwhisker with Driftkit, Brightlight with Sunpaw, Mistlelily with Blackpaw, Shrewpelt with Goldpaw, and Shredfrost with Woollypaw.

She risked a glance over at Klipspringer, who was gazing at his kits with pride. Moonswirl smiled and looked over at Snakesnap, who was chosen for the new deputy now that Shadestar was the leader.

The creamy swirled she-cat noticed that Shredfrost's white paws had a distinct red tint to them. She dismissed it as a trick her eyes were playing tricks on her, but no matter how much she blinked, it never went away.

"Meeting dismissed." Called Shadestar and the Clan began to disperse. As she headed for her den, Moonswirl couldn't help but realize Shredfrost had come home later than a dusk patrol would've. 'The red on her paws was more visible then,' she added silently.

With an uneasy feeling in her belly, Moonswirl padded into her den with one final thought. Perhaps Shredfrost has something to do with the sudden deaths of her Clanmates?