Chapter Twenty-Two

"Firewing, Raventail, Hawkstrike, and Sparrowflame go hunt by Breeze Hill." Whitefang meowed, tail flicking as she organized the patrols.

Starlingstar was sick with Greencough in her den and only Branchstep and Halfmist were allowed in and out of the den. Kinksnow was worried about her leader should she be on her last life or second to last.

"Flamewatcher, Mossspots, and Reedfall can you go patrol by DawnClan territory past Breeze Hill?" The deputy asked, looking at Flamewatcher. "You know how they are around this time of year."

Flamewatcher nodded and flicked her tabby tail. "Of course, Whitefang." The she-cat meowed and Kinksnow looked away and turned her attention to the shape of Halfmist leaving Starlingstar's den.

"Whitefang, Starlingstar wants to see you in her den right now." The medicine cat meowed sorrowfully, her green eyes misted with grief and sadness but she looked away before Kinksnow could trace the emotion's trigger.

Following the deputy inside the den but hanging back by the entrance so she could hear, Kinksnow listened to every word of the conversation.

"StarClan warned me about four chosen cats saving the Clans from something in DawnClan, Whitefang." The raspy and croaky voice of her leader made the white warrior cringe.

"A prophecy, perhaps?" Whitefang's mew made it clear that Starlingstar's dream was no ordinary dream.

Kinksnow could picture the nod of her leader's head and heard the wrenching cough that Starlingstar produced. She pictured Whitefang hanging her head and murmuring a few soft words before heading in Kinksnow's direction.

Whitefang didn't seem bothered that Kinksnow had eavesdropped on the conversation. The emotion in her eyes told the warrior that Starlingstar was dead.

**********

"Look, Whitestar is back!" Called Cedarcloud, the oldest of the senior warriors from next to Ravengorse and Heartfire.

"I wonder who she will choose as her deputy," murmured Haystep, his eyes flashing with curiosity.

Whitestar heaved herself on top of the Highledge and looked down at the gathered and scattered cats around the camp. "Clanmates," she began, clearing her throat. "I have received my nine lives from StarClan, my name is now Whitestar."

"Whitestar! Whitestar! Whitestar!" Cheered the Clan below the new leader.

"I say these words before the spirits of StarClan, so they may hear and approve my choice." Whitestar meowed, tail flicking. "The deputy of DuskClan will be Reedfall."

"Reedfall! Reedfall! Reedfall!" Chanted the cats from below, including Kinksnow. She was happy for her former mentor, but part of her wanted to be the one her Clanmates were cheering for.

"Meeting dismissed," Whitestar meowed and leaped down from the stone and padded into her new den, the Clan splitting up behind her.