Chapter Seven

"Moonkit, do you promise to serve your Clan as a medicine cat alongside Heatherspring?" Asked Dewstar as she sat on the Highrock.

"I-I do!" Squeaked the kit, excitement flowing through her.

"From this moment on until you have earned your medicine cat name, you will be known as Moonpaw." The leader meowed, tail flicking. "I trust Heatherspring will teach you everything she knows so you can heal your Clanmates."

Moonpaw grinned and bounded over to her new mentor, whose eyes shone with pride and happiness. "Congratulations, medicine cat apprentice." Heatherspring teased.

The cream tabby purred with amusement and trotted into the den where she would stay, a spring in her step as her mentor led her inside.

**********

"What is this herb, Moonpaw?" Asked Heatherspring, pointing to a pile of tiny black seeds.

Moonpaw's tail flicked, eyes focused on the tiny seeds. "Poppy seeds, they help a cat fall asleep."

Her mentor nodded with pride, flicking her ear. "Good job, Moonpaw. Now, what's this one?" She asked, prodding a bundle of flowers speckled with yellow and orange petals.

Moonpaw stared hard at the herbs before her, wracking her brain to gather the memory. "Marigold," she mewed after a while. "It soothes scratches and with horsetail, fights off infection."

"Very good, Moonpaw." Purred her mentor, tail flicking across her shoulders. "Now, what-" The medicine cat cut off by a yowl coming from the clearing.

Not waiting to see if Heatherspring was going to continue with the lesson, Moonpaw raced out of the den and burst into the clearing, shocked at the sight.

Shadestep threw Smokemask onto the ground, muzzle bloody and eyes crazed. "I found her with a DuskClan tom nuzzling close at the border." He growled, glared at Smokemask. "Clearly this is not the first time they have met in secret."

Moonpaw gasped, glancing to Heatherspring who had appeared right after she did. Heatherspring's gaze was unreadable to Moonpaw and she gulped, turning her gaze to Dewstar.

"Smokemask, is it true?" Challenged the leader of DawnClan, looking down at the senior warrior with a mixture of disgust, understanding, and pity.

"It is, Dewstar." Croaked Smokemask, rising to her paws to look at her leader. "I do not regret what I have done, but you know what that feels like, isn't that right?"

Dewstar tensed and flinched slightly at the accusation, gaze hardening. "Very well, Smokemask." She meowed and Moonpaw watched with anticipation as she looked around the camp.

"What does Smokemask mean, Heatherspring?" Whispered the cream tabby apprentice, looking at her mentor. "Did Dewstar have a mate?"

"Hush, Moonpaw." Answered the medicine cat, watching the exchange. "Listen, now."

Nodding hesitantly, Moonpaw looked at Dewstar, scared at what she may do to her warrior because of her actions. 'You can't fight love, though.' Moonpaw thought.

"Smokemask, from this moment on, you are now forbidden to go to Gatherings and are only allowed to leave the camp with an escort." Dewstar meowed finally, turning her gaze away from the eyes of her Clan.