Chapter Thirty

A couple of days passed since the deaths of Blizzardfrost and Heatherspring and Moonswirl longed for the company her mentor gave her in the medicine den.

It was awfully lonely and with her kits due in a few moons, the she-cat feared they would either not be accepted or be killed if the Clan knew the truth about their heritage.

"Don't worry, my love," Klip had told her two nights ago when she managed to slip away to see him. He already knew about the coming litter and reassured her multiple times. "I have my ways in getting into groups."

Knowing that her secret would be 'caught' on a patrol any day, made Moonswirl's anxiety spike greatly. She was constantly checking in with the patrol cats, asking if they had seen anything out of the ordinary.

She was putting some daisy leaves away when she heard a yowl coming from the camp entrance. Abandoning her stores, Moonswirl raced out of her den and skidded to a halt.

Klip was being shoved around by the other warriors, including Shredfrost, Shrewpelt, and Crowleap. Yowling for them to stop, the medicine cat pushed past them and stood between her Clanmates and the cat she fell in love with.

"Stop!" She ordered, surprising the cats around her including Klip who was staring at her. Turning to her mate, she made it look like she had never seen him before. Lowering her voice and making it look like she was checking him for injuries, Moonswirl asked. "Are you okay?"

Klip nodded and leaned towards her, making it appear that he was hurt and let out a fake hiss of pain. "Watch it, fox-breath!"

Moonswirl was taken aback by his sudden hostility but went along with it and raised her head. "Someone tell Dewstar I'll be in my den treating this cat, he has some minor scratches that could get infected." She meowed loudly, meeting the hostile looks of her Clanmates before herding Klip into her den.