Chapter Nineteen

"Moonpaw, do you promise to serve your Clan as a medicine cat and live outside Clan borders?" Asked Heatherspring as she stood in the starry fields of StarClan in front of her cream-tabby apprentice.

"I do, Heatherspring." Breathed Moonpaw, tail tip twitching back and forth. She felt a paw press it down and a mutter for her to calm down made it clear that Halfmist dealt with her twitching tail.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your medicine cat name. Moonpaw, you will now be known as Moonswirl." The she-cat touched her nose to Moonswirl's forehead.

**********

"Moonswirl!" Heatherspring called from the nursery, her voice piercing the night air. "Get some cobwebs! We need to stop Flowersun's bleeding!"

"Heatherspring!" Moonswirl snapped her stress washing over her and breaking her. "Shut your muzzle and let me do what I was trained to do!"

With her mentor in a stunned and shocked silence, Moonswirl grabbed a couple of pawfuls of cobwebs and raced back into the nursery where Flowersun was giving birth.

Two kits were already wailing in the moss next to their mother who was essentially bleeding to death. Moonswirl passed her mentor the cobwebs and helped one more kit be born.

"Three healthy kits with a non-healthy mother." The medicine cat apprentice mumbled and licked the kits clean. She looked to Heatherspring, who was shaking her head.

"She's dead, Moonswirl." Heatherspring meowed, looking down at the three kits. "She named them before she died," she added.

"What are their names?" Moonswirl asked, head tilting.

"The brown tabby she-cat is Sagekit, the golden tabby tom is Sorrelkit, and the orange and white tabby tom is Rubblekit." Heatherspring meowed, eyes glinting with sorrow.