Chapter Thirty-Five

Moonswirl looked around, seeing a few cats in camp and slid into the nursery where her kits were curled up next to Copperdawn and her kits. She sighed in happiness and sadness as she knew their real parents could never be revealed as it would bring shame upon her.

She nodded her head as Copperdawn raised her head sleepily and left the den without a word shared between the two she-cats. Klipspringer was sharing a pheasant with Frostmask and Ebonyrush as the medicine cat returned to her den.

Just over a day ago, a patrol led by Fleetfur, found a she-cat covered in blood with a stench of fox all over her. When they brought her back to the Clan, Moonswirl nearly threw up the squirrel she ate at the sight of the poor cat. Her tail was barely a complete long tail and instead, it was a stump and wasn't salvageable due to the fact that the rest of it was nowhere to be found.

Making her way into the den, Moonswirl looked at the loner that Fleetfur's patrol had found. Her eyes hadn't opened yet and the medicine at padded over to apply a fresh layer of herbs and cobwebs on her wounds.

"When we got there, Klipspringer yelled out a name." Redfeather had said when he told Moonswirl about the scene. "It sounded like 'Aurora' but I can't say for sure."

Redfeather had carried the wounded she-cat home when the rest of the patrol made sure the foxes for fox didn't come back. "I hope she'll be okay," he had meowed after Moonswirl looked her over for the first time. "No cat deserves to die being torn apart by foxes."

A groan roused Moonswirl from her thoughts and she looked down at her patient. The she-cat's eyes were opening and a burst of hope flared in her chest.

"W-where am I?" Croaked the wounded she-cat, her eyes open but glazed as she looked around. "What happened?"

"It's okay, you're in DawnClan's medicine den." Soothed Moonswirl, making the she-cat turning her gaze to her. "You were attacked by foxes and were badly wounded, but you'll be fine."

"Who are you?" Asked her patient, her eyes beginning to adjust.

"I'm Moonswirl, the medicine cat of DawnClan." Replied the healer and finished applying the last bit of cobwebs and sat back on her haunches. "What's your name?"

"I-I don't know," meowed the black she-cat, looking down at her paws. "I can't remember anything since I was attacked."

Moonswirl nodded and pushed herself to her paws. "Can you stand?" She asked.

The black she-cat nodded and shakily rose to her paws, staggering but regaining her balance. She followed Moonswirl on shaking legs as she led her outside the den.

"Moonswirl!" Called Dewstar, leaped down from the Highledge and trotted towards her and the forgetful she-cat.

The other she-cat cringed at the sight of the leader and hid behind Moonswirl, who flicked her tail across her shoulders for comfort.

"Dewstar, this cat doesn't remember her name but she cannot leave my den until she is fully healed." The medicine cat reported, her ears twitching.

Her leader nodded and looked at the she-cat hiding behind the medicine cat. "Would you like to live in the Clan or return to being a loner?" She asked.

"I-I wish to stay here, please." The other cat whimpered, ears perking up.

Dewstar dipped her head and padded away towards the Highledge, making it to the top in a few strides. "All cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting!"

The black she-cat seemed startled at the leader's yowl and whimpered from behind Moonswirl. The medicine cat purred with amusement and nudged her forward.

"It's okay," she soothed, tail flicking. "Dewstar is going to give you your warrior name now that you're staying with us," Moonswirl explained.

"Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and join as well as defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" Asked Dewstar, to which the she-cat nodded. "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. From this moment on you will be known as Blackshadow."

The newly named she-cat looked intimidated by the stares of the cats around her but the fearful look on her face turned to pride as the cheering began.

"Blackshadow! Blackshadow! Blackshadow!"