Chapter 2

Third pov

Lord Elrond showed her back to her room, also taking the time to explain about the ring and the hobbits she had met.

"There will be a council tomorrow to discuss what to do with the ring. As you represent not only the dragon riders but are new to this world you have every right to attend. If you decide to hatch the egg then you do not need to hide the little dragon. As long as you are here in Rivendell you are completely safe."

After that he disappeared down the hall, leaving Willow to decide on what to do.

Carefully she placed it on her lap as she sat on the bed. 'Mom would love to see this...' A sudden grief filled her, her mothers face flashing in front of her. "Mom.." Tears rolled down her cheeks and she curled up on the bed. After a while she fell asleep, too tired to fight the exhaustion.

During the night the egg started cracking and a small baby dragon came out. The dragon saw it's sleeping rider and happily curled up on her chest.

Time skip / Willow pov

The first thing i focus on when i wake up is the breathing warmth curled up on my chest.

The baby dragon is pure white just like the egg had been. Her icy blue eyes is watching me curiously.

The rest of the hard shell having protected the baby dragon lay spread on the bed. "You hatched while i slept? I guess that saves me from having to decide what to do..."
I mumble while gently petting the warm dragon. "You're so small..."

She lets out a puff of smoke. "Hungry? I think i might have something for you to eat." I get up. Someone had been in with a plate of food while i slept. On it there was one small piece of meat.

She ate it quickly and i smile. "You need a name. What about... Rhayna?"

The baby dragon seems satisfied with her new name and i let her lay on the bed while i redress in the clothes i had been wearing yesterday. Black pants, a black long sleeved tunic, sturdy boots and a corset made with (what i now know as) black dragon scales. Putting a corset on isn't nearly as hard as i thought it would be.

I can hear excited shouts from outside. "Come on Pippin, hurry!"

Rhayna gives me a look as i pick her up. "It seems you and i will be learning about this world together."

After a battle with Rhayna about if she should stay in the room or with me she comfortably took her place on my shoulders. I feel a little nervous about others seeing her, but Lord Elrond sounded so sincere that i don't think i actually have to worry. What i am more concerned about is what grandpa will say about this.

Third pov

To say she received attention with Rhayna on her shoulders was an understatement. Some of the younger elves she passed was openly gawking.

Gandalf sighed as he saw the baby dragon. "You found the egg."

"Yeah, she hatched while i was asleep." Gandalf nodded. "I guess it is time i explain more of why you were killed."

"It was an orc that killed you. They are servants of Sauron. He wants to send the world into darkness and rule it with an iron fist. We believe he wants you in his army, with a dragon rider under his command he would be nearly unstoppable. He wants to turn you to his side. Do you understand why that can not be allowed to happen?"

Willow rarely saw her grandfather so serious. She nodded. "I understand."

A rare sad smile spread on Gandalf's lips. His granddaughter had grown so much, not at all the child he had left behind. The baby dragon hissed when he hugged her.